Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Frustration

I had my original surgery in June of 2002. The first 6 months were a breeze. My problems started right after my first fill in Dec. 2002 and haven't stopped yet!!! After my first fill, I developed a nasty staff infection that was treated for 4 months unsuccsessfully.

My Dr. decided to remove the port but left the band and tubing. After healing, 6 weeks, I go back for minor surgery and have the port put back in. Two days after surgery I am back for a "unfil". Its seems my Dr. put in a full 3cc's during surgery!! Up to that point the most I had was 1.75. I couldn't even swqallow saliva.

He couldn't hit the port so its off to xray we go. After much manipulation he claims he hit the port and took some out, and I stupidly believed him and went on my merry way.

Well, About a week later I'm again feeling almost no restriction, and I call his office only to be told that he is away for a family emergency. I waited. I call 2 weeks later to be told that Dr. has RESIGNED!!!!! I want to pull my hair out now!!!! I am referred to a Dr. that doesn't talk my insurance, so I get on the internet to begin my search for a new Dr. I find Dr Valin in New Haven, about 45 drive for me, get an appointment for Aug, 2003, and wait. The appoinment day comes, new doc can't hit the port, sets up a fluro for 2 weeks later, I wait. That date comes, and of course, under the fluro I see I see what the Dr and techs see, the saline is just leaking out into the surrounding tissue. Guess what? Its leaking!!! NO KIDDING!!!! I can see that. Dr. says I need a revision go back up to my office to make my appt for surgery, first available date is 6 WEEKS yup another game of hurry up and WAIT!!!! My surgery day comes, Surgery is no problem. Dr. tells my not only was my original equipment leaking, my port was flipped, and the tubing had pulled away from the port. All of this damage was done by the original attempt under fluro to get my "unfill". The radiologist at the original fill told me that he saw the gap in the tubing but said nothing, NICE!!!!

So now I am all fixed, thankfully, but I am still not losing. This new Dr. started me with 1.75cc which is standard for him. I have been back twice for fills. He now has a PA do fills, which is no problem, but she is instructed to only give .25cc's at a time. She can see by the scale that I am not losing, in fact I've gained about 2 lbs. I called the office to tell them that I need more and the message from the doctor was to " have some control of myself and what I'm eating "and I have to wait 6-8 weeks for another fill. So, can you sense my frustration???? Additionally, I have to travel 45 mins for this stinking little fill and 45 minutes back only to watch the scale not move. I have had the band for a total of 21 months now and it has only worked properly for 7 of those months. I have ony lost 67-73 lbs depending on what day I weigh in. I have been the same weight, withina few lbs for a year now and I am FED UP!!!! Any thoughts??? thanks for listening, sorry I was so long winded

Coleen,

I wanted to respond to your post but actually I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry for all you have been through. What happened with the original doctor? Where did he go? When you checked out the doctor who did your surgery did he have a lot of patients and a support group so you could find out if anyone else had problems from his surgery? And this new doctor, how did you find him? He sounds like a real jerk. .25 of a cc is just about a drop of saline. My last fill was only .3 but that is because I was already at 2.2 so it was just a tweak. If there is any chance you can get down to Long Island I can give you my doctor's name. He has done about 370 lap bands so far. He doesn't do any other WLS. When we get fills we get a script from him to go to another hospital and a radiologist does the fills there under fluro.

I sure hope things start going your way soon.

Regards,

Chris

I too feel you may what to get another fill doctor. Everything else sounds like its fixed and working, sorry to hear of all your troubles and fustration.

Hope the future looks brighter:Bunny

Hi Colleen,

I'm sorry that you are so frustrated. It sounds like your doctor should not be a wls surgeon, or at least he should not do lap band since he doesn't want to work with his patients.

I noticed you are in Stamford, CT. Have you looked at fill doctors in Westchester? It is closer than New Haven and I'm sure you'll find someone who will take your insurance. Hey, I'd even consider self paying to get it right. It's a small price to pay to save myself!

I had a surgery with Dr. Artuso in Dobbs Ferry and he is so great. My port is unfortunately flipped and I am waiting to have it repaired. Yeah, I'm frustrated too...

Hope everything works out for you great!

Good luck!

Renata

02/06/04

205/186/135

Colleen, wow, what a rough road you've been traveling! You have my sympathy and applause for continuing to stick with it. You know that what you've been getting is substandard care and it sounds like you're trying to change that. I'm glad you've come here to share your experience.

I wanted to point this out:

I have had the band for a total of 21 months now and it has only worked properly for 7 of those months. I have ony lost 67-73 lbs depending on what day I weigh in.

WOW!! If you've lost roughly 70 lbs with the band working properly for only 7 months, that's a fabulous loss!! And all the more impressive because you've managed to do it in the face of incredible frustration. Pat yourself on the back, girl! :eek: ;)

Here's hoping you can find the RIGHT doctor and get the care you deserve. Good luck, and please keep us posted! ;)

OMG...that is terrible...how frustrating this must be for you....how on earth have you gone thru this for so long? I pray that your troubles will soon be over...hopefully, you will be able to find a better doctor that will be able to help you....good luck...

I sure hope you can find a doctor somewhere that knows what he/she's doing. You might want to do a lot of research on this site and see if you can come up with a doctor that someone else is really pleased with. Good luck . 70 pounds is really nothing to frown about. Keep up the good work