Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me!!

I am 275 lbs @ 5' 11". I have done everything to be submitted to insurance. Again, I'm thinking...can I not do it without the band?? I'm a 35 yr old male... Some thoughts of mine...

Can I not do this without surgery?

Can I not enjoy food again?

I'm ready to be skinny, but yikes!!!

Why don't I see success stories for men?

Can you tell me your start height/weight, current weight and how long it took you to get there. Feel free to answer one or all! Thanks!

This guy has an amazing story and so does his sister: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/user/342872-ljcbf/

I am 275 lbs @ 5' 11". I have done everything to be submitted to insurance. Again, I'm thinking...can I not do it without the band?? I'm a 35 yr old male... Some thoughts of mine...

Can you tell me your start height/weight, current weight and how long it took you to get there. Feel free to answer one or all! Thanks!

well i am not a guy but i am answering anyhow :)

i have learned that if you think you cant, you are right.

so you must find that yes i can attitude (and want power)

want to lose weight bad enough to follow the lap band' directions

and it will help you lose weight..

dont start thinking i cant eat that or this and blah blah blah

the lap band will help you eat less (esp after fills begin)

but its up to you (and me) to eat better foods in smaller amounts

and begin to exercise..

let the band help you by you helping it.

its not easy but its not hard.

i think you can do it if you want.

Because you haven't looked long enough. It isn't that there aren't male success stories, IMHO it is because there are fewer males who get the surgery, and/or choose to share in this fashion. If you were to go to a Weight Watchers forum, you would see similar ratios. Why is that? HECKIFIKNOW, maybe our male pride "Of I can do it on my own" precludes us from seeking help. I know that I did not turn to WLS until I reached a point of abject failure with my weight. But, I am here now, I am loosing weight, I will continue to enjoy food, but I will no longer let it rule my life. Between a change in lifestyle, and the help of my band ("The Dominatrix") I have hope in this area for the first time in years.

I will say, in the beginning I would have made any sacrifice needed to loose weight , get fit and healthy.....if they told me I had to eat nothing but bread and Water for 12 months, with the promise I would not be hungry and I would achieve everything I dreamed of, I would have done it in a heartbeat.....it was that important to me....

I will let you know this......once I achieved all that I wanted to achieve, everything went full circle......in other words,

I am now a normal weight, healthy and fit individual.....which means I now live a normal life......just as any other normal weight person does......

I no longer worry about calories and food portions......although, just as my normal weight, healthy friends , I am very health conscious and eat good wholesome foods...no junk, no red meat, no fat, sugar, etc, etc....

Just as my skinny, healthy friends do, I also enjoy things that people on diets would never dream of doing.....think of it...you see healthy people everyday at parties, Resturants, etc, and they are not counting calories....

Because they have a certain LIFESTYLE.......healthy eating, plenty of exercising, active hobbies such as hiking, cycling, etc, and you will NEVER see them making pigs of themselves.....

I made a point of observing normal weight people in different situations.....and there is a difference in behavior.....

I now live THAT lifestyle....NO DIETING...NO COUNTING CALORIES....enjoying the things in I life I ewant to enjoy...along with my skinny friends....I have NO FEAR of ever gaining weight because I have successfully changed my lifestyle....

Difference between me and my friends is they do it on their own, and I do it because I have the band....but I don't need to tell anyone that....

BUT...it took me over a year to get to that point, with plenty of sacrifices, and plenty of hard lessons that neded to be learned....

To pull a macho-male attitude, I didn't 't get all whimpy...I never backed down....even when I was getting stuck, sometimes 2-3 times a day, I blamed myself and did not run to the Dr. Asking for a un-fill....

And I am happy to say I broke through to the other side of life...and it has been nothing short of Heaven ever since.....

Question is, are you ready to make that choice? Make the needed sacrifices?

Many, if not all people on this site are either newbies or still within their weight loss journey, so,I keep my mouth shut because most will not understand where I am coming from.....

But there is a life after completing this journey.....

Can I not do this without surgery? only you can answer that we all made the decision to get the surgery done because we felt and or knew we couldnt do it without the surgery

Can I not enjoy food again? you can still enjoy food just not everything you may want and not as much the lap band is only a tool to help you loose weight it doesnt stop you from eating everything!

Why don't I see success stories for men? there are alot of men out there with success stories and there are a few on this site

Can you tell me your start height/weight, current weight and how long it took you to get there. Feel free to answer one or all! Thanks! im not a guy but my start weight was 280 im 5'7 and i am now 182(last i checked which was a few days ago) it took me a year and 2 in a half months to get here!