Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op

So it's been 3 weeks and I've lost 21lbs post op, 35 total with diet before surgery. I didn't think my surgery would be so quick, I didn't really have too much time to prepare. I started this process in july of 2012 and in october I lost my job (which I was using my insurance to pay for surgery) But my wonderful surgery center paid my Insurance for me so I was able to get my lapband yay!!! Still getting used to things post op, My doctor has now allowed me to start eating mushies and I'm kinda scared to start eating food again and get back into old habits, I've come so far just to go back. Also I'm wondering if anyone takes meds for diabetes and for thyroid? Because I've talked with my doctor he says its fine to start taking them again but I just wanted to know if anyone has any weird side affects to the meds? I know support is key, again I'm only 3 weeks out and I know I have a long way to go and I'm so excited for this new year and a new me!!

One last thing, I've told all my friends about my lapband and everyone just always says comments like "oh your gonna be so hot/sexy" or "you're going to be so beautiful" and it kinda bothers me, because I honestly didn't do this for looks... I did this for my health and all anyone can talk about is how hot I'm going to get, does anyone else feel this way? I'm not worried about my looks because I know I'm beautiful just like everyone else and I'm happily married, I guess it just bothers me because I would think I would get more support from my friends to be healthy and not "hot"

thanks everyone for reading my rant lol

Sounds like you are doing great ....congratulations .lF you eat proportionally you shouldn't worry about getting into old habits.... that's the beauty of the band!

As for what your friends think or say remember most people don't have a clue about weight-loss surgery. Unless they are obese they can't understand what you are thinking and feeling as much as they might want to try. That said what they're saying is surface stuff it really has no bearing on you you and your Journey. Unfortunately in this society everybody is focused on looking like a supermodel or reality star... so their comments are in line with that way of thinking I wouldn't worry about it too much

Best wishes for a successful journey

Hi Tina, it sounds like you are doing wonderful! I get banded on Feb 1 so I don't have too much advice to give! ;)

However, I experienced something like that in the hospital when I went for pre-admission testing. The head nurse was like oh my gosh you are gorgeous. Are you a plus size model? I responded with thank you but I wear a size 18, those plus size models wears 12s (which isn't plus size and gets me annoyed - but I digress..). Anyhow, she then said oh my god you are going to be even more gorgeous after this and then asks me if I am married or seeing anyone because she would love me to meet her son. Now, I know I should just take these things as compliments because they are meant in a nice way but it kind of burns a bit too. I am doing this to feel better about myself so I don't have to worry about diabetes or achy knees and I want to be able to conceive a baby without problems. I am not doing it to be a size 6. In fact, I would be happy in a size 12. My goal is 170 pounds and I am only 5'6''. I don't think I could maintain much less than that because I am big boned and have a wide frame. So, I will never be what society calls thin...in fact, I will still probably be looked at as overweight. I just want to decrease the risk of health issues and be healthy and active. The other comments I don't look forward to are that "wow your bf is so lucky" or "your bf must be SO happy" or "wow you lost SO much weight." I know everything is meant with good intentions but I wish people would realize what they are saying.

Unfortunately, in our society we are more comfortable talking and advertising things related to drinking, sex, relationships, etc., but when it comes to doing things (especially surgery) to lose or maintain weight loss it's "hushed". If your friends/family or truly friends/family, then you should say to them, I already look hot now I'm gonna be healthy and HOT! :) Good Luck girl!

People just don't get it and it has taken me a long time to realize that. I have beaten myself up long enough on other people's thoughts. Case in point. Years ago I lost almost 70lbs on WW and could not have been prouder of myself until.... The one comment that changed it all and me back to my old habits and I gained 90lbs. ONE COMMENT!!! A co worker said to me in the elevator. You lost so much weight. You look REGULAR now- REGULAR who the F says that!!!!! And unfortunately at that part in my journey all my fragile psyche heard was I wasn't regular before!! And something must be wrong with me. That is why this time I am no longer dieting. I have changed my life for the better and am emotionally more stable. I get frustrated with the scale from time to time. But I know for once I am making the changes to be healthy and happy not a size 2!!

People just don't get it and it has taken me a long time to realize that. I have beaten myself up long enough on other people's thoughts. Case in point. Years ago I lost almost 70lbs on WW and could not have been prouder of myself until.... The one comment that changed it all and me back to my old habits and I gained 90lbs. ONE COMMENT!!! A co worker said to me in the elevator. You lost so much weight. You look REGULAR now- REGULAR who the F says that!!!!! And unfortunately at that part in my journey all my fragile psyche heard was I wasn't regular before!! And something must be wrong with me. That is why this time I am no longer dieting. I have changed my life for the better and am emotionally more stable. I get frustrated with the scale from time to time. But I know for once I am making the changes to be healthy and happy not a size 2!!

OMG!!! thats AWFULL!!! some people are so moronic sometimes. Why don't they just shut up instead of saying something that stupid....

Im only one week post op and i have thyroid medication that im still taking..ive just been crushing them up and putting them into applesauce! no problems at all!!! Good luck to you!

you should be fine taking your thyroid medication,I had no trouble. I know how co-workers and family/friends can be so i was very selective in who I told about my lap band. Dont entertain stupity! Good luck to you!

thank you ladies so much!!! All your kind words really are helping me =] I go in for my first fill on the 30th and I'm kinda nervous yet excited. For some reason I've gained back a few pounds which is totally making me feel bad and I don't want to go in to see my dr and him say something about that. I think it could be due to not taking my thyroid meds for like 2 weeks and it's thrown my body off. I've just learned now to brush off those comments and most of them have stopped but I know once I really start losing they will come back, Most of the negative comments have been from my own mother. All my life shes begged me to lose weight and even once told me that she loved me, but she would live me more if i lost weight... my reply was well that makes no sense cuz you have more to love now lol either way it still hurt and I know the only way to ever make my mom happy is being skinny which I don't understand that. But once again thank you all and I hope all of you have a great day!!!