Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to balance my new respect for nutrition and having a 5yo

Ok so this is probably terrible of me but I just hate that my 5yo wants to eat junk all the time or what I think is too much food ... She is and always will be more active than I ever was as a child ... But she is a thick muscly 5yo and she is pretty tall for 5 probably 3.5ft tall and weighs a solid 70lbs and I do mean solid she is very dense ... I guess I'm hoping for a growth spurt lol but idk .... I just don't ever want her feeling like I have my entire life ..... She is gorgeous beautiful curly hair and a personality that captures everyone's heart .... I work for the police department so she stays with my mother lots and I try to tell my mother stop feeding her so much but I don't really even think that's the problem .... Sports are definitely in her dirtier this spring and summer .... I'm being a crazy person aren't I ? Anyone else start losing crazy amounts of weight and become obsessive about their kids ???

When my daughter was like 11 she put on a lot of weight. The dr said don't mention it to her just start slowly changing the Snacks and food choices. To this day she is a skinny thing at 21.

Your mom will have to do it too that will be the hardest.

wendy

Yea my mom just tells me to hush that I was never Ever even close to as active as my daughter is and that I need not say anything because that will give my daughter a complex the doc also said nothing was wrong as long as she maintains her weight and just keeps growing vertically

I agree... your daughter is far to young for you to worry, but do try to improve her diet to healthier stuff. You may have to take food to your mother's house at first, but she will get the idea eventually. Do not say anything to your daughter... just change her snack options.

Yea when I'm home with her it's my way ! My mom is just stubborn she doesn't feed her poorly honestly she actually cooks meals etc and very good ones ... I just think I'm freaking out cause I don't want my baby to feel like I did ever ... Sports sports sports something active is coming in the near future !! Lol t-ball drill team something lol just so I know she is getting good physical exercises in !! Thanks y'all I thought I was crazy for a second :D I love this forum I can come here and say whatever and not be judged

I hear you on your worries. I have 2 boys 6 and 9 that are bottomless pits and could eat all day long if I let them. I am trying to impliment the healthier foods into their diets but they like their sweets too. They are more active in sports and school that I ever was at their ages. My husband told me to let it be. As long as they are active they will be fine. I am always afraid that I will give them that bad image complex and I don't want that for them too. They need to be kids and not worry about being overweight at this time in their lives. Just keep doing what you are doing.

My girls are 2 and 4. I have worried about them being overweight their entire lives. I don't want them to have to struggle the way I did. I just offer them healthy Snacks, mostly Water for drinks (they are so trained they rarely even ask for juice), and feed them the same dinner I am eating but with a serving of carbs. I think we have to be careful not to tell them it concerns us but make the changes or instill the healthy habits gradually. The best we can do is teach them to love healthy foods and activity...their genes are their genes no matter what we do. My dad has a doughnut ritual with them that bothers me a little but he isn't going to change and they deserve a little fun in their life. They rarely get something that bad except with him. I try to tell myself that if they are completely deprived they may start to sneak good later and I don't want that either.