Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

-35lbs and first HIGH cholesterol ever!?!?!?

I have NEVER had high cholesterol in my life, EVER! I've always been between 160 and 180. Strange, but true. So I've lost 35 pounds, eating more healthy than I have in decades, and all of the sudden my cholesterol is 211, with LDL at 132!

I already realize that it isn't terribly high, and I'm sure there are lots of people with much higher numbers. That isn't my concern.

My concern is that I'm eating and living much healthier and now my cholsterol is high and suddenly my BP is too. My BP went from very high and had to go on meds (before band surgery), to totally normal off of meds, to NOW not on meds and high again.

What gives!?!?!?!?

I will ask my doctor, but can't get in until January. Anyone else have this kind of strangeness?

Are you eating a lot of seafood, that may be the reason for your high cholesterol.

I track with My Fitness Pal and I'm usually at about 1/3 of the daily limit of cholesterol. My daily fat usually comes from avocados, peanutbutter, chicken, tuna, salmon. I also eat tortilla chips, which I'm sure are bad, but I don't eat much. I mostly avoid breds and Desserts and baked things. I do like cream cheese, and I add butter and mayo to things sometimes, but in all cases FAR less than I used to.

Actally, this is so perplexing that I wonder if there is an error in the test. Next time I go in I will ask to be retested and also ask for some advice. But, if the results are correct, I'm totally at a loss for why or what to do.

Any other thoughts from anyone????

How easlily does cholesterol go up and down? I could have been eating a lot that particular week, maybe....?

After losing 150 pounds; my doctor finally put me on cholesterol medicine because my cholesterol is still bad. I eat a very very conservative diet; no red meat; no pork; No egg yolks, no fried foods or butter. I have read that having thyroid issues can lead to high cholesterol. I'll be meeting with an oncologist next month and will definitely ask them about that. Genetically my family has bad cholesterol. My older sister who has always been thin went on cholesterol medicine last year even.

Exercises office is said to affect cholesterol production. Do you exercise daily.

This is another reason my doctor was so shocked my cholesterol wasn't getting better because I do a minimum of an hour of cardio 7 days a week.

Sometimes the weight loss messes with hormones. I would definitely talk to doctor, but one test does not a problem make. Give the blood levels time to settle down. They checked mine 6 mos post-op and they were fine.