Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions re: first fill......

I had my surgery with Dr. Daniel Huacuz in TJ in February 27 and had my first fill here in Texas yesterday. I feel official now! :clap2: The doctor gave me 1.4 cc's....after looking at the barium swallow he said I really could have had more but he wants to take it slow. I was a little upset about my first experience with this doctor and I just want to know if I am being too picky?

This is the first time I have seen a doctor with any knowledge about the band since my surgery. Unfortunately I am too far away from Dr. Huacuz to go back and forth for post op visits or I would go to him for everything involving this band. He has been wonderful but there's only so much you can do over the phone and in emails. From the moment I saw the fill doctor until after my fill was done he was talking on his cell phone to his wife. Even as the needle went in..he did however give me a signal that he was going to put the needle in. I was thankful for that...nothing worse than a needle going into you when you weren't expecting it. He did hold the phone away from his ear long enough to tell me to avoid chicken, bread and Pasta as I was being led out the door by the nurse to have my barium swallow. I know this doctor did not perform my surgery but I had planned on using him for all my follow up care, which could possibly be for years since the doctor recommends yearly upper GI's etc....Since this was the first visit post op I expected maybe to be asked how I was doing and did I have any questions or problems? Even though I obviously am able to initiate these questions myself its kind of hard when someone is talking on their cell phone the whole time. The comment about me being able to hold more fill was made as I was leaving and he was rushing to see another patient. I'm just feeling kind of let down and not cared for. This band is a huge thing for me, I took off work and drove a long way and I guess for the money I spend I would have liked a little more. Mainly in the area I live in no one knows about these bands and I had been really excited about being able to talk to someone knowledgable about the band finallly but it was not to be I guess. Maybe I'm being too sensitive and maybe I should have been more forcefull but as I said he was on his cell phone 99% of the time arguing with his wife about who was taking the kids where and I just was not going to interupt.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice. I do live near the Dallas area so I know I have more options but do not want to waste any more money on a doctor that doesn't seem to care. Or maybe I should give this one another chance? Maybe it was just a bad day for him? However my money is just as gone either way and I'm still frustrated. Thanks in advance......:hungry: BTW I'm still hungry, finally had to eat some soft food last nite because I was starving and couldn't go to sleep because of it. Went down fine though without a problem. I feel no restriction but have read that it may take awhile to feel it.

Hi Christi,

I was wondering if you could PM me and let me know who the Dr. is, because I too was banded in Mexico on 3/3 and I have my first fill appointment on 4/19 with a Dr. in Dallas. I don't think you are being overly sensitive considering the amount of money it costs and the fact that you (we) don't have the luxury of ongoing care from the Dr. that did your surgery. The Dr. should give you his full attention when you are there and taking into consideration that you had your surgery in Mexico and may have further concerns and/or questions. I would find another doc or give this one another chance and stand up for yourself and demand his full attention. I am sorry you were made to feel unimportant and it is not right! Hope it all works out for you in the future.

Kristi/Keller TX

Thanks so much for your support! Made me feel so much better after I read your post. I'm not sure how to PM...am still fairly new to this. Why don't you send me one and I'll respond to it? I do know how to do that...lol!

:faint:

If it were me, I would make my concerns known to AT LEAST the office manager as probably the Dr too!!!

Then again, what he accomodating you in an already overfull schedule? Maybe he was behind in his own schedule and simply had no way to catch up. Still, I'd probably be upset myself until I had an adequate answer or assurances it would NOT happen again.

Thanks Jack for the advice. It was late in the day and he was probably trying to get out of there. I will give him another try and schedule earlier in the day as well as be a little more assertive with questions. I'd like to ask you a question about the fill if you don't mind. I noticed this after I first got my band put in as well, when I was still swollen....if I don't chew my food up really well (or gosh forbid forget and eat a piece of bread) I get this really uncomfortable feeling at the base of my throat like it is stuck. I had read enough beforehand to expect this, but expected that feeling to be lower, not at the base of my throat. Do you ever get that feeling after a fill or if you don't chew well in that area? Its one thing to read about things and quite the other to actually experience them and wonder "is that what this is?" ;) I just expected that feeling to be lower if food got stuck. I also get these mild but nagging headaches since I've had the band placed but those seem to be getting better. I hope its okay to ask these questions in this area but they do seem to be related to the fill. Thanks in advance....I appreciate the help!

I had my first fill yesterday by my doctor. It was a good experience. My doctor told me about everything that would happen before he did it and it was a good experience. I got 3 c.c's and I have to tell you that you need to see a doctor that will take good care of you, not one that stays on the phone not paying attention to what he's doing. I feel that something could have gone wrong while he's just chatting away. My doctor only does Lapband surgeries and is the greatest. His name is Dr. Robert Snow and he has 2 offices. One in Decatur and one in Hurst. If you want his number let me know. His nurses are also the greatest. I feel sad for you and your first experience. This should be a happy time for you. No your not picky especially with you healthcare.

ddillon01 How large is your band? Is it a VG 10 cc one? I think your doctor was my doctor's proctor. That's a mouthful-!!

I have the big band and yes it holds 10 c.c. I love it. I just had my first fill yesterday. He put in 3 c.c's. I have noticed that there are things I can't eat already. He told me to just eat heavy liquids such as Slimfast,Soups etc. Dr Snow said that this band is one of the best and that most of the doctors are going to this band because it's more plyable and easier on the stomach.

I had my first fill yesterday by my doctor. It was a good experience. My doctor told me about everything that would happen before he did it and it was a good experience. I got 3 c.c's and I have to tell you that you need to see a doctor that will take good care of you, not one that stays on the phone not paying attention to what he's doing. I feel that something could have gone wrong while he's just chatting away. My doctor only does Lapband surgeries and is the greatest. His name is Dr. Robert Snow and he has 2 offices. One in Decatur and one in Hurst. If you want his number let me know. His nurses are also the greatest. I feel sad for you and your first experience. This should be a happy time for you. No your not picky especially with you healthcare.

Hi ddillon,

I'm in the DFW area too. I've spoken with one doctor but I'm still not sure about him. Where in Hurst is Dr. Snow? Will he see Mexican surgery patients? Can you post or PM his phone number?

Thanks.

DonnaB.

Dr Snow's phone number in Decatur is 940-627-1707. They can give you the number to his Hurst Office. It's on Precinct Line Road off Airport Freeway in the Southwest Surgery Building. I've only been there once. I had to go when I fell on my side and thought I smashed something. I usually go to the Decatur office because I live in Decatur but I work out by Alliance Airport. I think he would see you no problem. Give them a call and let me know how it goes.