Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting lap-band...need advice.

hello everyone. Found this sight while researching lap-band surgery. I would like to hear from anyone that would like to share the experience.

What is the criteria? Are there doctors that will do the surgery if you dont meet the BMI. Mine is 31.6, I am 5 10. 220 lbs (last time i dared look at a scale), have battled with my weight for the past 8 years, have severe lower back pain, sleep apnea, joint aches and pains.

I dont currently have insurance but am planning on getting some in the next few days. Will Insurance cover all or some of the surgery? But I could be a self pay if needed.

THanks in advance for the info! And best wishes to you all!!

ttbseffy

hi, I am also new and just looking in to the lapband. I just went to a semanar tonight. Some ins. will cover it and some wont. From what I gathered tonight you have to have a BMI of min 35 for the DR. I am seeing, but that is something you will have to ask the Dr. in your area. You may have to self pay because your BMI is on the lower side.

Ttbseffy, all insurers have the same medical criteria for deciding whether someone is eligible for bariatric surgery: BMI of 40 or above, OR a BMI of 35 or more accompanied by comorbidities. You have the accompanying medical conditions, but you're not heavy enough to be considered morbidly obese, period.

That's not to say a doctor won't feel you are qualified, but I can't imagine any insurer agreeing. You could lose 40 lbs and be in a healthy weight range, so they're not going to feel it's worth paying many thousands of dollars. And you may indeed find it very difficult locating a U.S. doctor who would be willing to operate on someone with so little to lose, even though you're self-pay.

Think about it carefully. If you lose only a certain percentage of your excess weight, you might lose only 20-30 lbs. Is it worth all that money and surgery for that? Since you're so light, it's entirely possible that your other health problems are not weight-related at all, so weight loss won't alleviate them.

Weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. And so far, banding is not used as a preventive measure (though it may be someday for people in your shoes). Good luck with your decision!!

Thank you for the info! I wouldnt even be considering lap band if I thought I could loose the weight with out it. Actually this is the smallest I have been in over 6 years. I just yo-yo back and forth between here and 280. Can all this yo-yoing be good for my system? Im just scared of all the things I see happening to my body because of my weight issues. I have tried everything. Im active. And have even worked out at a gym for 3 months and never got below 200. Do you think a doctor in Mexico would do the surgery with a low BMI??? It would be worth the expense to me to be rid/reduce the health problems that I am having due to my weight, as told to me by my doctor. I also carry most of my weight in my stomach. I swear I look like Im 10 month pregnant. I get asked all the time when Im due??? THis is so embarrising and has started affecting my going out in puclic. Im just lost on what to do...............:cry

Thanks for the info....

ttbseffy

From what I understand, doctors in Mexico make their own decisions about who is eligible for surgery. There are several "lightweights" here who have been banded in other countries, so if you post a thread asking for input from people with low BMIs you'll get some great info.

I'm sure yo-yoing is NOT good for your system, of course. But maybe another approach would make more sense. Working out at a gym for three months won't do anything long term--exercise has to be a part of your life FOREVER. And 200 sounds like a GREAT weight for someone who's 5'10"!! :)

Think about taking the money you'd spend on surgery and spending it on counseling (nutritional and behavioral) and personal training. Who know? You may just be able to find the answers without going under the knife!

I know I need to work out at a gym more than three months.....I ran into some issues with finding someone to watch my kids and money, Thats why I stopped going. I did continue to walk at least a mile a day and do weights at home. Everyone I know says that cant understand why Im overweight because I eat so healthy and I dont eat large portions. I tell them that its darn genectics.....anyway thanks for all of the advice.

Good luck to you!!

ttbseffy

My advice would be to find a Dr. in your area, go to a seminar and consultation appointment and see what he says. It couldn't hurt! Where do you live? Maybe someone knows a Dr. in your area to refer you to. :ban:

Also, I know it is easy to say "oh you can lose 20 lbs and you will be fine". But that isn't the easiest thing to actually do. I don't BLAME you for wanting to be banded. It does make losing weight easier. It is a great tool. So, find a Dr. and see what his advice is. (hear the words come from his mouth to you...not what someone else says...like he won't band someone with a BMI under 35 or whatever) :party:

Getting insurance approval for my surgery was a nightmare. I was well over the BMI of 40 but had no co-morbidities and did not have a history of being on diet pills. Blue Cross/Blue Shield demands a "Diet History" and wants to see a 6 month, medically supervised program of diet pills and exercise. Before you do all the "prep" for the lapband surgery, make a call to your insurance carrier and find out if you qualify.

Elisabeth

:ban: :party:

Thank you for the info! I wouldnt even be considering lap band if I thought I could loose the weight with out it. Actually this is the smallest I have been in over 6 years. I just yo-yo back and forth between here and 280. Can all this yo-yoing be good for my system? Im just scared of all the things I see happening to my body because of my weight issues. I have tried everything. Im active. And have even worked out at a gym for 3 months and never got below 200. Do you think a doctor in Mexico would do the surgery with a low BMI??? It would be worth the expense to me to be rid/reduce the health problems that I am having due to my weight, as told to me by my doctor. I also carry most of my weight in my stomach. I swear I look like Im 10 month pregnant. I get asked all the time when Im due??? THis is so embarrising and has started affecting my going out in puclic. Im just lost on what to do...............:cry

Thanks for the info....

ttbseffy

By all means if your interested in being banded, check it out. My situation is very similiar to yours, my BMI wasn't that high either but I had been struggling with my weight for years and it was continuing to creep up and I was feeling terrible, no energy, aching feet, short of breath. I got the band and couldn't be happier with my decision. Its YOUR body and YOUR money and as a person that started out at a lighter weight as well I can tell you this has been great for me. I am 60 #overweight and would rather tackle this problem at 60# overweight BEFORE I got to #80 - #100 overweight with the extra health problems I would then be experiencing. Nothing wrong with taking charge of your life and weight sooner rather than later. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice and the support!! I was begining to think I was out of line for coming here to consider this as an option. I know that this is not an easy way out but only a tool to help me get to a healthier weight and Hopefully maintan it. Im really going to be working on this hard the next few months....hopefully I can make plans to have this done by the end of summer if not sooner.

I currently live in NW Montana but our family is relocating to Springfield Missouri area in 9 weeks. Not as remote as were we are now, so hopefully it wont be hard to find a doctor for fills.

I will be going out of the states for this, so any suggestions and advice about this would be great!

I'm so excited to get this started!! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!:ban:

Thanks to all of you for the great advice and the support!! I was begining to think I was out of line for coming here to consider this as an option. I know that this is not an easy way out but only a tool to help me get to a healthier weight and Hopefully maintan it. Im really going to be working on this hard the next few months....hopefully I can make plans to have this done by the end of summer if not sooner.

I currently live in NW Montana but our family is relocating to Springfield Missouri area in 9 weeks. Not as remote as were we are now, so hopefully it wont be hard to find a doctor for fills.

I will be going out of the states for this, so any suggestions and advice about this would be great!

I'm so excited to get this started!! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!;)

You asked for suggestions or advice, not sure if that meant doctors but I used Dr. Daniel Huacuz in Tijuana, Mexico. I hope its okay to mention that on this thread. I researched for a LONG time and got the absolute best price and excellent care. If I have any questions they are emailing or calling me right away and they WANT you to keep in touch so they can follow your progress. Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to be speaking of doctors on this thread so send me a private email and I'll give you his website. I can tell you that as someone starting out at a lighter weight you will probably lose the weight a lot slower. I did, but thats fine, I'm losing and thats what is important. It didn't come on overnight and I'm not going to lose it overnight. I'm patient with this process. The band has been so much better for me than anything else I have tried. You can lose weight with a diet but you always have the option to overeat and gain it back as most people do. The band is a great tool to keep yourself from doing that. Of course you could load up on liquid calories like ice cream and not lose or gain back what you have lost so thats where YOUR effort comes in. The band doesn't allow me to overeat, it makes me chew my food well and I pay heck if I eat the wrong things. I still eat the same things I was eating before but in MUCH smaller portions. Thats been the success of this for me. My problem was portion size and the band does not allow large portions, period. I didn't mean to ramble on, like I said,email me anytime with questions, I am glad to help. I just had my band on February 27 so am still recent enough to remember a lot of details, expect to be very sore for several weeks. Alot of folks aren't but I was, everyone reacts to surgery differently. HOller later, would love to chat! :clap2:

I am also a newbie to the site and I have found it more than helpful. Insurance is always tricky question and I would say consault with your own company when you get insurance.

Christy

Also, check out Dr. Ortiz. His website address is ObesityControlCenter.com. I think that he has excellent credentials and an extensive amount of experience. Also, look into the various lap band websites and enter his name for additional feedback from patients that have gone to him for their surgeries. There is a post regarding Dr. Huacuz on this forum that you should probably check out. Good luck in your continued research.