Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Not Think About Food?

You know, I've read that a lot of people stop thinking about food so much after being banded. I don't get this, as I think about food all the time! I think about what "can" have, what "can't" I have, how do I fit this food into my week, when is my next scheduled eating time, the food on TV commercials is way off limits most of the time but it doesn't go unoticed. Food is every where! I plan my shopping ahead of time, I shop for it, I cook it, I eat it, I talk about it. How can one NOT think about food all the time, in healthy terms as well as in not-so-healthy ways. The holidays are coming, food, drink, food, drink. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Everythings about this lifestyle I'm changing.

I think I just needed to vent, but I don't feel better. :(

Granted this is strictly my opinion, but I don't think it has anything to do with the band but rather a change in their mindset because of being banded. I've noticed with many people, they go into being banded with a "can't fail, won't fail" attitude, determined to beat this. Very often those people have a very big change of mindset that comes with it. Their determination to lose weight and be healthy subconsciously effects their views on food, too.

That's not at all to say just because you think about food you're not determined or committed. Believe me, I'm extremely determined and committed and I have my days my brain is obsessed with food. But those days are the exception not the rule since being banded and everyone's minds works differently. Some are simply going to have a harder time than others.

Food addiction is real.

Try to find something you ejoy that keeps you busy. It is hard to think about food if you are fully absorbed doing something else.

Keep busy. I go fishing on my day off from work. Sitting around watching tv is a thing of the past for me. Good luck!

well said mis73.........it get easier with time

elcee,

I've taken up crocheting a huge blanket, that helps.

I think about food all the time too...not in a bad way, but rather in the means that I can EAT HEALTHY!!! It is almost as if those bad foods kinda scare me a bit...I still know I can have them...but it is a choice I am making. I look at it as a trade off. So, if I want that white choco-chip macadamia cookie...I need to slow my roll with that baked potato with butter and sour cream! Heee! Certainly, the potato is seemingly better for me...my butter is smart balance and low fat sour cream, but sometimes I just feel my body craving something sweet! And giving in "just a bit" is much better than depriving your body and then going hog wild when you can't stand it any longer.

With everything, I believe there is a balance....But...I--like you--think about food for much of the day...but usually in a good way. I hope this helps!

Dana,

That's how it is with me! I'm constantly thinking of what healthy foods to eat.

I never thought about food when I was an active overeater, I just blindly bought this bad food or that.

Now, I buy good things.

Just wish I could go through a day where I didn't have to eat or think about food, a sort of rest.

I still think about food. Every Saturday morning I make the following weeks menu so I can do the food shop for the week. Every night I fix my lunch for the next day, I am always searching for new recipes on line. I have a garden so I'm thinking of what I'll do with the produce. I don't think that will ever change.

I also think of food when I'm bored.....what to eat let's see what do I have..... TIME TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO. I go on line, get on my exercise bike, get my knitting out, start sewing, anything to get my mind off food.

Try to manage the thinking is the best advise I can give. B)