Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Balanced Eating: Protein? Veges? Carbs?

OK. So, I am a newbie to the Bandy Family (one week post-op)...but, I am already forming a thinking and eating mindset. Here's a little background about my last six months....

Back in May of 2012, I weighed 224lbs. and was hospitalized for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was put on medicine for both and sent home. I began eating a whole different way. I began eating lots of FRESH veges, mainly poultry and fish, the fats I ate were "good" fats, and I lowered the portion size of my food. Between May of 2012 and October of 2012 I lost 40lbs. I am thinking that was a REALLY good way of life.

During the months of "eating for life" (as I call it), I was finally approved for lapband surgery. Of course I had to do the two week pre-op diet which meant that I was on a low carb diet. Now, in the last five months, I had not lost weight with low carb of any sorts. My weight loss during my pre-op diet was only around 10 pounds. Even though I did loose the 10 lbs during the two weeks, I had also lost a major portion of my weight during my new "balanced" eating for life months before too.

So, here I am with the lapband all set in place. My doctor is really driving home the idea for a low carb diet in order to help me keep losing weight. However, I am not all that geared up with strictly adhering to a total low carb diet. In fact, during the two week low carb pre-op diet, I did not feel as full of energy or satisfied as I did when I was eating balanced (and still losing weight too).

So, my question is that even though so many folks push for the low carb idea of the lapband, would it be just as good to eat a low calorie balance diet (without having to scrimp so much on the carbs) in order to keep losing weight?

BTW, I am keeping my portion sizes down to between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup per meal.

So, my question is that even though so many folks push for the low carb idea of the lapband, would it be just as good to eat a low calorie balance diet (without having to scrimp so much on the carbs) in order to keep losing weight?

BTW, I am keeping my portion sizes down to between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup per meal.

I didnt fool with all that. My dr likes to keep it simple..... so he had me on 1000 calories a day with portions sizes of 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 c veggie and 1/4 startch. snack was a piece of fruit.< /p>

I always say different things work for different people. I found counting calories and eating a good balance of protien, veggies and startch all with limiting fats worked well for me.

Everyone is different, but I don't follow a low carb diet at all. I love carbs and I eat Pasta, rice, and potatoes daily. For me, low carb simply isn't realistic long term.

However, I do make sure I get in all my Protein, limit my fat intake, and restrict my calories to 1000-1200 a day. But I do not restrict carbs and I've been quite successful despite it.

For me, my doctor and nutritionist haven't really pushed "low carb" and seem more focused on low-fat and low calories (1000-1200 per day). So far that is working for me in tandem with exercise. I don't think it is realistic for me either to cut carbs completely out. However, one thing that I have been doing with carb foods is buying a healthier alternative. If I am going to make Pasta (pasta salad or something) I have been using multigrain Pasta and it is quite tasty for the squeemish eater I am. If I am going to have rice, I try to have brown (whole grain) rice or barley. That way I am satisfying my urge for the carbs but making it a more nutritious option.

Also, you mentioned not having as much energy, etc. Are you getting any exercise? I have noticed since I have upped my exercise that I am more alert, more energetic, etc. Also, if you aren't getting in enough Protein per day, that can affect you too.

Congrats on your wonderful weight loss thus far!

For me, my doctor and nutritionist haven't really pushed "low carb" and seem more focused on low-fat and low calories (1000-1200 per day). So far that is working for me in tandem with exercise. I don't think it is realistic for me either to cut carbs completely out. However, one thing that I have been doing with carb foods is buying a healthier alternative. If I am going to make Pasta (pasta salad or something) I have been using multigrain Pasta and it is quite tasty for the squeemish eater I am. If I am going to have rice, I try to have brown (whole grain) rice or barley. That way I am satisfying my urge for the carbs but making it a more nutritious option.

Also, you mentioned not having as much energy, etc. Are you getting any exercise? I have noticed since I have upped my exercise that I am more alert, more energetic, etc. Also, if you aren't getting in enough Protein per day, that can affect you too.

Congrats on your wonderful weight loss thus far!

Thank you so much for asking about exercise! I am just now beginning to do a little more...I am still pretty sore...my doc had to take care of a hernia too when doing my lapband...but today, we (my children and I) went to the park and playedddddd! It was really fun and tons of exercise! But, since I am not quite healed yet, my doctor doesn't want me to begin an exercise regimen until my first post-op appointment...that will be next week--Thursday. I am hoping to do more exercise after that! :-)