Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any of wish you had gotten RNY?

I posted this on another board and got so many conflicting stories, it's not even funny. If they had lap-band then it was the greatest thing. If they had bypass, it was the greatest thing. There are quite a few of us still trying to make up our minds and it's hard.....really hard.

I am also glad I chose the Lap Band. I know some people who have had RNY and done very well, and some who haven't. Same with the band. I did lots of research and even the "lesser" complications frightened me off the bypass - the possibility of losing my teeth, developing osteoporosis, and having to take huge quantities of supplements forever.

I have lost 86 pounds in 16 months. I LOVE MY BAND!

I am not saying what is the best thing for anybody else but myself. I did not want to permanately re route my insides or risk malnourishment etc.

The band for me was minimally invasive, totally reversible and relatively minor surgery. That in itself made my decision for me.

As much as we all wish the weight would fall off us, I sat down and thought did I want the weight to fall of me in an unhealthy way or would I like to lose it a slower more healthy way. Thats another reason I chose the band.

Ultimately it is your decision and you have to decide what you are comfortable/happy living with.

The mortality rates alone are a big influence in themselves comparing the band surgery to the RNY.

Good Luck and only you can make the right decision for YOU.

It's a very personal choice. Most folks here are happy with their band. A few have not been, a few have revised to DS. One gal here researched banding and chose RNY, but we won't let her leave LBT! :D so she still posts and participates in our local group get-togethers. Her reasoning was the after-care for banding. Fills and so much follow-up were a turn-off for her. She had her RNY surgery about 4-6 weeks? ago and has lost 30 pounds so far. WOW. I have lost less than 40 in a year! But I love my band. I'm not too tight and can eat whatever with care. I bumped up the exercise and I'm losing again. I love my band.

I asked my fill doc what he thought, REALLY, about banding and he said "it's a great place to start", meaning, if it doesn't work for you, RNY or one of the other bypass surgeries is always an option.

I was too scared of the RNY risks, the permanant re-routing, the malnourishment problems, it was just too drastic? I guess? For me, it was never really an option. I was so glad to have found LBT and Banding. I got a real-life picture of life after banding, and I felt I could do it. And I am! It isn't always perfect and rosey. There ARE risks and aggravations and there CAN be discomforts and problems. You need to weigh all of those. Do lots of research. Ask lots of questions. Read LBT, especially the Complications Forum so you have a clear picture.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's a tough one. Make sure your heart is at peace, whatever you do!

I'm still very new but I was a hardcore "band-only" for me. Now I might feel different... but really it's too soon to say.

My one big issue with the band is the ability to cheat with stuff that goes though the band easily like chocolate, milk shakes ice cream. I'm not saying I'm eating that stuff but I'm scared to dealth the temptation will get to me. If I'd had RNY and that stuff "jumped into my mouth" I'd get sick from eating it so it would be less tempting.

Right now I'm controlling it but losing so slow... I'm not giving up but it's been ten weeks since the pre-op liquid diet and I don't care what people say... 10 weeks is a long time. I think it's only "fair" to wish for a 2 pound per week loss. (especially when I paid so much money) I'm not asking for miracle loss.

People here get upset when you complain about your loss being slow but that's why I need the support.

I'd had the idea of WLS in the back of my mind for a while, but was never truly, seriously considering it until I heard of the LB. However, I have several friends for whom it was the right decision. No one here can say whether it's the way to go or not the way, because that's 100% subjective to what the recipient feels and believes.

For example, I'm fine with LB even though the total weightloss takes longer. I did not have comorbidities, the condition of my skin is an issue for me, I am able to exercise, etc. In other words, while I'm in a "rush" because I'm eager for results, I am not in a "rush" for "real" reasons -- I'm not trying to get off any medications, I don't have potentially dangerous sleep disorders, I'm not suffering pain or limited mobility. Most people I know who had GB do suffer these things, and wanted the weight off quickly to help resolve their ailments ASAP. The people I know with GB also doubted their ability to take ownership for "dieting", in other words -- they wanted to avoind the possibility of eating around the band as much as possible.

The decision is 100% you.

I never ever considered any type of WLS until I saw TV Commericals of the Lap Band. I feel 100% that this is the perfect selection for me considering my eating patters, I love Water, I love to exercise but I just needed the added boost to help me lose and stay consistent with my weight.

This is your decision, I am preop and have a date set for april 17, I was ready to have GB but some of my very close friends had this and after complications they passed away. I am not saying this happens to everybody but I to am one of those who did not want to have those type of issues.

Again only you can make the choice I am glad I choose to wait for the band

I was approved by my insurance to have GB 2 years ago and wouldnt do it.....too invasive...knew a lady that died from it...glad I chose the LB.....the best plan for me....much luck to you

XO

Carla

:banana

What made me decide not to have the RNY is that the 2 women in my office who had it either never lost all of their weight or they have since gained it back, but still have the small issues that RNYers have. That would suck to be fat still and have all of the consequences of the surgery at the same time.

for me personally, weight has been an issue allll of my life and I am only 29..I was determined to do something, Ive tried every diet known to mankind..even did the Quick Weightloss program.....I chose the lap band first off cause of how much less invasive it is...and it seems to be safer with the body still able to get enough Vitamins to have children...my cousin had the RNY and loves it...she is only 26....I do know if the lap band didnt work for me and I had to get rid of it or change it I would....I love my band, but at this piont in my journey Im not ready to go at this alone, that is how I came to be overweight....The lapband is a GREAT tool, personally speaking I would go with the band, but it is a personal decision no one can tell you to how to make.. I do believe if you dont use either surgery as a TOOL to help you anyone can gain your weight back.....you have to be willing to make adjustments with either surgery.... do your research and ask lots of questions......good luck with your de

You couldn't pay me enough to let someone start cutting apart my innards and sew them back together in hopes of them working correctly. Not to mention the stress on your organs from losing weight so fast, the gaunt sallow look of poor health, the tons of sagging skin.. blech. That is what I saw in a person I worked with that had the RnY. So I knew it would never be something that I would be willing to risk. I chose the band. I've lost about 50 pounds in three months, including my pre-op diet. I'm now losing about 2 pounds per week and I'm fine with that. I need time to get my head in line with my body as it changes. Anyway, I hope this didn't offend or upset anyone. I know we have some folks who have chosen the other routes and I pray it goes well with them. I sincerely do. This is just how I felt for myself. And I'm the only one I can speak for.

Best of luck to you in your decision. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you great success.

I was banded for about 1.5 years before the band eroded and had to be removed. I'm not thrilled about the idea of a gastric bypass, but I'm glad that option is still out there in case I ever gain all the weight back. I'd rather be dead than weigh 300 pounds again, so I'd have a bypass to save my life.

The worst part about the bypass is that it's considered a malabsorption procedure, meaning the nutrient-rich food you eat isn't digested correctly, so the nutrients aren't absorbed effectively, which means you'll have to take supplements for the rest of your life. I'm supposed to take 2 tiny prescription pills every single day, and I often forget to take them because I've always been really bad about taking pills (great, this just reminded me that I forgot to take my last antibiotic this morning for this awful respiratory infection I have.)

With the band, food is slowly passed into the lower stomach, where enzymes break down and process food in a normal digestive manner, so you don't lose any vital nutrients. Also, I've talked to many pharmacists who explain that supplements/vitamins should always be taken with Protein because they need to bind to a Protein to maintain effectiveness; otherwise they pass too quickly and render themselves useless. I forget to take my Vitamins almost every day because I only seem to remember in the morning when my belly is empty.

If you chose bypass, make sure you'll be able to stick to a daily regimen of supplements and Vitamins.< /p>