Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New And Nervous, From Alberta Canada

Hi all ---

So glad to have found this forum!! It seems no matter what question goes through my mind, I can dig around a bit here and find that someone has already asked it and someone else has already answered it. Its a godsend.

So about me, I have been overweight most of my life (which is 49 years). For the first 30ish years I kept it under control by sheer will power, but age and a hysterectomy and menopause and quitting smoking and a desk job..........well, pfffffftttttt. Here I am 65 pounds over my ideal -- gallbladders out, blood pressures up, the joints are inflamed and I am planning my lap band.

Tomorrow is my phone consult with the Dr. from SWLC. I have already spoken to someone from Slimband ---- is there a big difference between these two do you know? I will have to travel to Toronto to have the surgery, and I will be self pay, so I want to get the very best bang for my bucks.

I live in Grande Prairie, Alberta -- and both clinics assure me they have a Doc locally here for fills.

I guess the one thing I could use help with...what do I ask during this consultation? What is the got to have information that I need to remember?

I am nervous, but even more so I am excited. I can't wait to be a healthy weight again.

Thanks for listening :)

When I went to my consult I really wanted to know how long my doctor had been doing weight loss surgery, and what complications his patients have faced, and also how many of his patients have died. He was very honest with me about his 3 patients who had died and what happened with them. I liked his candor.

I also wanted to know all the preop requirements and the postop follow up care I'd get from his office. I didn't wanna get the surgery and just be kinda kicked to the curb. There is also monthly support groups and even clothes exchange. I liked everything about the office, the nurses, aides, and nurse practitioners. They're all compassionate and helpful. Be really nosy!

I'm from Edmonton Ab I'm heading to Vancouver as I type this my surgery is Wednesday I went through SWLC as well and Dr. Philip Mitchell who is from Calgary is doing my surgery...have u considered going to Vancouver? Only a short reasonably priced flight or 1100 air miles return flight or drive like we r its a beautiful drive we broke it into 2 days so its not so bad and my husband and daughter are coming...we don't pay for fuel though so that's the main reason we drove. Anyways I'm hear if u have questions and at the moment I'm pretty nervous!! Just got off the phone my surgery is at 10 am on wed yikes!!

Sorry just read ur posting again wanted to add a few things I looked into slim band as well but for me going to Toronto was out of the question I'm self pay as well and it was just to expensive to go that way...I had my phone consult with Dr. Mitchell he's great he will put ur mind at ease and if there is a question u don't think of till later u will receive an email from SWLC that will be full of attachments those attachments contain answers to almost every possible question it's a lot of reading as a matter of fact I printed out everything and kept all the reading material with me and when ever I had time I would read, hi light then read again lol I did have to do a 2 and a half week pre diet which consisted of 3 Protein Shakes a day and certain veggies which will all be listed in the material provided its a really hard diet but u can do it I didn't think I could but I did...I have lost 14 pounds on it so far and have 2 days left...I have found some days are harder then others...u will have to order the shakes from Meditrim they are shipped directly to u and u will get that form as well in the materials emailed from SWLC I think for 3 weeks worth it was about $235 I can't remember the exact amount. Anyways I hope this info helps:0)

You will love Dr. Cobourn.

I wasn't banded at SWLC but just met fellow bandsters for coffee this morning and there were some women in the group that were banded at SWLC.

Dr. C. has come to several of my coffee groups to give a talk on how the band works... he's a great guy. I'm sure you will be very happy with him and follow-up care at SWLC. I know several people that live out of town that were banded at SWLC and are very happy.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Thank you for the replies. I had a phone consult with Dr. C today and was very impressed with his manner. I think I will go with SWLC --- it just seems more professional to have the Doctor call rather than a salesperson. Lana, my BMI is just a few pounds too low for Vancouver to take me, so Toronto it is. I have armloads of airmiles though, so the flight is not an issue. I went ahead and picked a date - November 7! Now I am very nervous, and excited, and all sorts of other feelings I have yet to put a name to. :) Mostly I am happy, I feel like I have made the decision to put things right.

Again, thank you all for being here. Tomander, I will take you up on that offer!

I live in Kelowna, BC and am also self pay. I spoke with Dr.C and SlimBand over the phone and then drove to Victoria to meet with Dr.Tang. I found Dr.C very helpful and great mannerisms while speaking with him. Overall I decided to go with Dr.Tang in Victoria BC. He is very honest and genuinely there to change peoples lives and overcome weight problems. I also found the cost to be lower ($15,300) for a grand total since i have to travel a long distance as it is an extra 2 hour ferry ride doesnt seem so bad for a lower cost. I wasn't overly impressed with SlimBand because I felt like it really was a sales pitch and Toronto is a little far. So I made my decision based on who made me the most comfortable and at ease. Congratulations and I wish you all the luck on your journey :)

I agree slim band is defiantly a major sales pusher!! I contacted them before I knew about SWLC and they have contacted me non stop since that was about 4 months ago. I'm so glad I found out about SWLC!!

I had the same problem, I told them I had chosen a surgeon and they constantly called even from Blocked numbers! It was insane.