Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year With The Band

Aug 22 was my one year anniversary. I spent it having a cat scan (to make sure my band wasn’t wrapped around my stomach) then pooped my pants and had to run across 2nd avenue to get more depends…got to love how exciting my life has been post cancer and post band

Lucky the pain appears to just be a pulled muscle which is getting better but still hurts when I lift, in the morning and random times during the day. Will see the lap band surgeon on sep 14 for my escophogram and she will check the pain.

Today I was 192 --- when I started I was 235 plus…. Am down to a comfortable size 16 pants and an extra large shirt---just beginning to venture back to the normal ladies department

I am no longer afraid of sitting in the middle seat on the subway with 2 normal people on either side…

I don’t get that look when I sit in the middle seat

I am very glad I got the band..without it I am sure I would be on the very wrong (for me) side of 235

Even though my brain knew it would still be a long difficult right a part of me was hoping it would be a easy fix. It’s wasn’t but it’s ok. I have made even more changes and like the fact that even if my brain turns off and I go crazy eating my band will painfully remind me to stop.

I don’t always love the band I have days when I envy others eating what every they want….i get jealous especial eating out when your having a drink and everyone else is slurping down the margaritas and chips and I know if I try I will be in pain and end up throwing up---though I can just blame it on the drinks but I don’t ….. many time I am told why aren’t you eating my new response is I can only splurge on so many calories and I want the drink more than the chips….i find that ends the discussion and after a few more drinks no one is paying any attention to what I am eating/drinking.

Sometime I get mad/sad that other on this board are losing so much more weight than I have..then I try to remember some people have a lot more weight to lose and every one’s situation is different

I am happy so far and so are all of my docs…I figure if I keep constant by next time this year I will be at my goal 149 ---- or worst case nyu’s goal for me of 159 and a comfortable size 12

When I fit into a smaller size or my clothes are too big I just smile and thank the band for it’s help

If I could go back to the day before my surgery I would tell myself yes it’s going to be much harder than you thought but it will get easier you will see results and you will feel much better about yourself this time next year. Don’t’ compare your journey to anyone else’s

What an amazing journey. Congratulations on your success. You are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Helen,

I hope you are feeling better. The most important thing is that you happy with you. You are right, most likely if you didn't have the band you would be in a worse situation weight wise than you are now. Did your dr. tell you that the band is not a quick fix? It really is somthing you have to be totally commited to and you do have to change your eating habits. It sounds like you were not totally prepared to do that, but hopfully everything is fine with your band and you can move forward.

Have you been to any band support groups in your area? I highly reccommend that. this forum is great, but being able to have support of other bandsters in a group that you see once or twice a month is really amazing. You get those much needed pep talks and maybe you could meet others in the group that have had a lot of success with their band. It gives you a lot of motivation.

You shouldn't have to come on this forum and feel mad that others are doing better. You just need more support. We're here for you, but I would really have a serious talk with your dr. and let her know you are struggling with all these feelings.

I really wish you the best and let us know how you are doing!!