Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

re banding after eroded

Hi,

have any of you that have eroded thought about being rebanded? Will the Dr. do it? I have heard 6 months after it has been removed? My band was removed Jan. 24th. I have a appointment on April 10th and I am going to ask the surgen if he will even do it. I was just wondering how everyone was doing with there weight I have not lost or gained anything since it has been removed. Just a thought about rebanding.

Thank you, Tracey

Tracey:

Sorry to hear about your trouble. There have been several publications on this topic. Probably the most up-to-date recommendation would be to have a gastric bypass. It can be done laparoscopically, and patients are satisfied afterwards. Though some surgeons are willing to reband, I myself would refuse to reband a patient after erosion.

Mark Pleatman MD

www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman

Heyas Tracy - Here is a link to some information about a study done on rebanding.

http://thinforlife.med.nyu.edu/assets/LapBand-in-the-USA.pdf

I personally would be rebanded. I'd rather take my risks on another erosion than have the bypass done. For me, those risks are just not acceptable even though there are a handful of doctors who really push more extreme surgerys at the first indication of band problems.

I'd go for re-banding. If my doctor wouldn't do it, I'd find one that would. I chose lap-band over by-pass for a reason. My reasons are still valid & my choice would still be made today, even if I was eroded. I may someday have to go with some other WLS, but it won't be this year! :)

Keep us updated, Tracey! That's awesome that you've maintained while your band has been out!! (( Hugs!! ))

Tracey, I am curious how you are doing with your health and weight post-erosion. Are the skills you learned while banded helping you "on the outside"?

I have heard other eroded bandsters talk about how they still have a "pouch" and even a mild sense of restriction. Do you feel this? Is their impression even realistic? I know that stomach tissue is not play-doh... but would it be able to adopt a new configuration willingly after years of conditioning?

You guys are confused. Photonut... the study you posted by Ren, Ponce, and Horgan was published in 2002; the longest patient follow-up was only 2 years.. Fairly early study, actually. In that study they only had 1 band erosion; That patient with erosion was apparently asymptomatic and had refused surgical treatment. There is no mention at all in the paper of rebanding of any patient. All 3 authors are paid speakers for Inamed.

Janet... doctors refuse to reband for a reason. You say you chose lapband over bypass for a reason. Presumably the reasons had to do with safety, reversibility, and minimal invasiveness. Now things have changed. Redo surgery is much more dangerous... the chance of success with rebanding is lower than it was for the first go-around. Reversibility... well, that one came back and bit you in the ass. The operation is undone even though you didn't want it undone. Minimal invasiveness is the same with either lapband or bypass.

And now there are newer studies coming out showing results of rebanding... which you chose to ignore. Sorry if I'm being rough on you. I'm only here to educate and help you understand the data.

Mark Pleatman MD

Well, I'm the exception to every rule. Band erosion might make me consider a removal if it could include a simultaneous revision to RnY.

I got myself approved for the RnY bypass first, but I saw the Lap Band when I lived in the UK and I was really excited about it being approved here. So I joined the original (and ill-fated, LOL) FDA Study of the LapBand and boy have I had 5 fun-filled years of unique LapBanding experiences and occurences.

And in 5 years, I've experienced nearly every complication that a Banded patient can experience. I keep thinking erosion is next (*sigh*)...but no signs of it yet. (The fact that many erosions are asymptomatic is not comforting, but there you go.)

After my LapBanding, I literally was sicker than any bypass patient I know (and I know quite a few Weight Loss surgery patients) so all those things I hoped for with Lap Banding (having a less minimally invasive, safer surgery with fewer complications) didn't exactly go as smoothly for me.

So when I see people say "Oh I'd get banded or nothing" well, to each his own.

But I'm still trying to work with the band or my new band (or technically I received 2/3 of a new band last year) and on dark days, a bypass sounds good to me right now. But I'm at BMI of 30 - so insurance approval for a revision to bypass seems unlikely. It's unfortunate to be too fat to be content, yet not fat enough to get a revision. Anyway, as long as the band works, I'll keep working with it for now.

But I am absolutely determined on this point - if I get one more single band complication, they can have it. Revise me to an RnY, if the band can't get the job done. After 5 years of band issues, a little malabsorption might not sound so bad to get some of this excess weight off. Enough is enough - and I might throw in the towel.

But again, I'm the exception to the rule.

Happy Banded (and Non-Banded) Journeys to everyone...

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

i agree with Jack...I would like to know if there is more info out there.

Thanks.

I have a couple things to ask you. Why is it that a patient that has had RNY and regained the weight after stretching out the pouch (this is at the end of about 3 years) could than be lap-banded. Why don't the same principals apply. If you won't re-band someone, but you would do an RNY, what is the reasoning for a failed RNY patient to be able to get the band?

Secondly, and most importantly, as a retired nurse I've been reading on a new procedure that I know is not ready for use, but it is about being able to staple the stomach doing endoscopy. Can you tell me what you have heard about this procedure if anything, and how long you think it will be before it is FDA approved. Are they doing this procedure anywhere that you know of and how is it done? They can't possibly do anything with the intestines endoscopically, so do you know how this works.

Thanks for the answers.

Personally if I lost my band I would do GB.

I do agree with the doc that there is a reason why doctors refuse to do certain things and the situation has definately changed after an erosion.

Best of luck to everyone!

Ah, Dr. Pleatman, you're right. I was mixed up on the reports. Here is the one I was thinking of. In this study 10 people were rebanded after erosion in 2002. They were closely followed over a period of 3 years and none had erosion problems. The report is dated June 10, 2005.

http://gastricbanding.researchtoday.net/archive/2/6/61.htm

I have to admit to being very frustrated by trying to find ANY information about this. Why aren't there more up-to-date reports out there? Does it really take 10 years to report case studies? Are we all just lab rats? :)

And Carrie, Dr. Pleatman is the only Dr. I've seen who's stated he would refuse. My surgeon said he would wait the six months and then reband with confidence. I'm not sure what to make of a Dr. who consistantly posts on a lapband board, pushing the RnY surgery. No offense, Dr. Pleatman, but it just doesn't sit right with me and many others here. I think it's a shame that you are using the board to advertise like you do. If you have helpful information about lapbanding and want to post that, then wonderful. But when I look at all of your posts it is clear to me that you are here pushing the RnY and, TO ME, that seems like you are taking advantage of people who are unsure or having fears. I apologize if I'm wrong, but in the time I've been here, I've see little support or helpful information about the lap band from you and a strong push to get people to convert.

And Carrie, Dr. Pleatman is the only Dr. I've seen who's stated he would refuse. My surgeon said he would wait the six months and then reband with confidence. I'm not sure what to make of a Dr. who consistantly posts on a lapband board, pushing the RnY surgery. No offense, Dr. Pleatman, but it just doesn't sit right with me and many others here. I think it's a shame that you are using the board to advertise like you do. If you have helpful information about lapbanding and want to post that, then wonderful. But when I look at all of your posts it is clear to me that you are here pushing the RnY and, TO ME, that seems like you are taking advantage of people who are unsure or having fears. I apologize if I'm wrong, but in the time I've been here, I've see little support or helpful information about the lap band from you and a strong push to get people to convert.

I couldn't disagree more. I joined this board almost three years ago and was banded for over three years and I'm delighted that Dr. Pleatman is here. I've met a couple of his patients in real life--one doing great, one a real turtle, and he is adored by both.

When people are new to any surgery, they are often heavily invested in THEIR surgery. To the point that any suggestion that some other surgery is a good choice or even a better choice than the surgery they chose, is perceived as a threat to their potential success. Dr.Pleatman is NOT here recruiting converts, that is blatantly obvious. And "information about the LapBand" includes what to do when the band was NOT the best choice.

Relax about your choice, PhotoNut. If the band was the right choice for you, there should be no fear of how Dr. Pleatman is helping those who had different results.

Topic at hand, rebanding after erosion: Tracey, there's no flippin' WAY I'd consider rebanding for myself after erosion. Erosion is ugly. It is the rubbing away of the tissue. The best predictor of future performance is past performance. Why would my body suddenly accept this appliance if it had already--back when the tissue was in GOOD shape--rejected it? Just doesn't even sound like a reasonable--for me--assumption.

Sue

The last thing I want to do here is start any conflicts on this thread, but I have to say that was very condescending. Sue, you don't know me and you shouldn't make assumptions about me. I based my feelings about Dr. Pleatman's involvement on this board solely on his own posts. Nothing more. I have a fine surgeon and my band journey is going exceptionally well. He is welcome to advise his patients however he likes and I'm sure he's adored by many. I simply stated that I think it's a shame that he uses this board to advertise - and in my eyes, that's what he does. I see no reason for you to be bothered about my opinion. *shrugs*

The last thing I want to do here is start any conflicts on this thread, but I have to say that was very condescending. Sue, you don't know me and you shouldn't make assumptions about me. I based my feelings about Dr. Pleatman's involvement on this board solely on his own posts. Nothing more. I have a fine surgeon and my band journey is going exceptionally well. He is welcome to advise his patients however he likes and I'm sure he's adored by many. I simply stated that I think it's a shame that he uses this board to advertise - and in my eyes, that's what he does. I see no reason for you to be bothered about my opinion. *shrugs*

I'm not at all concerned about *opinions.* I'm just concerned that the good doctor may think you are speaking on my behalf, which, of course, you are not.

And it may sound condescending, but you ARE new at the band journey. Give it some time. It's like marriage...the honeymoon can be altogether different than the marriage.