Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Do The Dr Visits/fills Stop??

I am 10 months post-op and have visited my doctor every 6 weeks since then. There has only been one visit that I didn't get a fill and I have never had any complications. I think I am in a good place with my restriction and have an appt 08/14 to confirm. I am going to schedule one more appt 8 weeks out for my 1 year bandiversary. I have already had blood work done and all is good. When do I stop (or limit) my visits to the doc?

Are there people who are more than a year out and still going that often? Should I only plan on going as needed after my 1 year? If I stop going for too long does it void my referral from the insurance? I have no problem continuing the visits. I am very happy with my progress and want to do any and all things necessary to continue it. I also enjoy getting the "official" weigh-in every few months to show off my progress. =) Of course, I will ask these questions to my doc on Tuesday, just curious where everyone else is.

Just so you all get the whole picture: My insurance is pretty good and I only have a $20 copay each visit, but my doctors office is an hour away from my home and I always have to take a half day off work to avoid LA traffic.

Wondering the same thing!

My doc is also over an hour away and I wonder how many times/how often I will need to go

I guess it varies so there's no hard answer ??

I am self pay and questioned my dr about this yesterday as I am 2 hours away. They said the more fills you receive the less you should have to come. Right now mine have been every 4 weeks but she said this time I could push it back of I felt I was doing ok and losing weight. She said to come at least every 8 weeks to be checked and be weighed.

I am self pay and questioned my dr about this yesterday as I am 2 hours away. They said the more fills you receive the less you should have to come. Right now mine have been every 4 weeks but she said this time I could push it back of I felt I was doing ok and losing weight. She said to come at least every 8 weeks to be checked and be weighed.

What exactly do they "check"? I know every doctor and every office is different, so I'm just curious how it is for others. When I go in they weigh me, ask me a bunch of questions to determine if my restriction is ok and if a fill is needed, then fill me or send me on my way. I do have to get lab work every 6 months to determine if all my levels are good. So, I was just thinking if that is how it will always be then I shouldn't have to go in unless I need a fill or my lab work, right??

My surgeon told me that by choosing Lap Band, I'm committing to be friends with him over the next year :) He said there is quite a bit of maintenance involved to get to the right spot, so expect to come monthly for about the first year. I don't mind coming, my insurance covers 100% and it's 5 minutes away, but if I was in your situation I would question it too. I set my monthly goals from appointment to appointment.

You would think that once you're in the green zone, the visits would be less. I'll have to ask my doc when I see him next week.

Next month I will be 2 years out. During the first year I went every 4 - 6 weeks to see the Dr. He discussed my eating habits, weighed me and then decided if I needed a fill. During the second year I went every 3 months. My last fill was in March. I had an appt. in April to check to see if I needed an unfill, but he checked with flourscope and decided I didn't need one, he told me to eat less and chew my food longer. I had another appt. in June, discussed eating habits and weighed me. He then told me I did not have to come back until March 2013. Of course call him if I run into any problems. So far so good. I have lost 130 lbs. I would like to lose another 10 lbs., but have hit a plateau, so not losing anything just up and down 3 lbs. I don't need another fill, because I am still tight and the warm weather has made my band very tempermental. I tried doing Zumba about 6 months ago, but started having sciatica pain, so now I am going to therapy and having a MRI on Friday to see what is going on. When I am feeling better I will go back to doing some type of exercise so I can take off the last few pounds.

I am 4 years out with no fills and to goal. My BCBS of Arizona funded through the county does not cover the doctor in Las Vegas where I had my surgery. They told me I need to get a new doctor in Arizona. I called a couple of bariatric doctors and explained the situation and they said unless you have a problem, you should not need to see them. Not sure that was the answer I wanted but I go to my regular physician once a year and get blood work and get weighed in. I never had any fills and don't plan on getting any so that is not a problem for me, but just wondering if you really need to go to the bariatric doctor for a regular check in? My family doctor wants to make sure that all is well and thrilled that all my blood work comes back without needing any medication again for another year. I walk a lot and watch the calories so this is not a cure all getting banded, but it has saved my life no doubt.

Why wouldn't you get a fill, if you need one?

I am 4 years out with no fills and to goal.

I never had any fills and don't plan on getting any so that is not a problem for me, but just wondering if you really need to go to the bariatric doctor for a regular check in?

I am 4 years out with no fills and to goal. My BCBS of Arizona funded through the county does not cover the doctor in Las Vegas where I had my surgery. They told me I need to get a new doctor in Arizona. I called a couple of bariatric doctors and explained the situation and they said unless you have a problem, you should not need to see them. Not sure that was the answer I wanted but I go to my regular physician once a year and get blood work and get weighed in. I never had any fills and don't plan on getting any so that is not a problem for me, but just wondering if you really need to go to the bariatric doctor for a regular check in? My family doctor wants to make sure that all is well and thrilled that all my blood work comes back without needing any medication again for another year. I walk a lot and watch the calories so this is not a cure all getting banded, but it has saved my life no doubt.

WoW! 4 years and never needed a fill! That's amazing. I have had 5 fills and am at 7cc in my 10cc band and I think I am perfect right now. I'm glad it worked out that way for you! No copays for fills every couple months! =)

What exactly do they "check"? I know every doctor and every office is different, so I'm just curious how it is for others. When I go in they weigh me, ask me a bunch of questions to determine if my restriction is ok and if a fill is needed, then fill me or send me on my way. I do have to get lab work every 6 months to determine if all my levels are good. So, I was just thinking if that is how it will always be then I shouldn't have to go in unless I need a fill or my lab work, right??

I was going monthly until march which was the 15 mth mark. I would get weighed a dr would chat with me about my progress, we would discuss a fill or no fill... . I never had a gain so I don't know how that would have gone... I never had more lab work although my BP was checked every month

then in march we went to every 2 months until last month and now it's every 3 or if I need him sooner I am welcome to come in. I am self pay and my visits are $25 without and $50 with a fill.

Once I hit my goal in 11 lbs I am not sure what will happen. Guess I will find out soon!!!!

Just at the start of my journey, but it is wonderful to read, and dream, about nearing the beginning of the rest of your life.