Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering The Band... What's Your Take?

Does it cause issues when one spouse has the surgery and the other does not? My BMI is about 43 and my wife's is about 35ish? I don't know that she'd consider the band. I can see some jealousy/resentment/you-name-it being a possiblity.

Family dynamics can be tricky. I have a friend who is not obese and his wife had gastric bypass. She lost a lot of weight and now they're struggling with their marriage. I haven't pushed him for information but I can see it between them. Your relationship with your wife is so subjective it would be impossible to say how she will react. My wife was about 30 lbs heavy and has jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon with me and is down 18 lbs and loving it. It's been great for us. We bike, hike, travel, eat similar foods together much more now than before surgery.

One more advantage no one will tell you about? Your willy will look like it's bigger. It's awesome!! Had I known that would have been the only benefit I would have done it. :P

tmf

Of course there's lots of "what if" and "why not" and "should I".....

The 'out of pocket' cost will pretty much be recovered by what you save in junk food the first 6 months.

I was size 56 pants before all the other 'same stuff as you' added up, plus more medical issues, to finally going for the Band.

I'm 7 years postOp. It isn't a diet. It's a Life Awareness involvement.

Nothing tastes as good as being healthier feels.

I was off CPAP in 10 months after 10 years on the Nose Hose. Took a bit to get used to NOT having the hiss & the straps etc.

My WORST day postOp has been better than my best day the last 10 years before the Band.

YMMV.

Do your research.

Cheers on your journey.

What everybody is saying is so very true. I've been banded for the past 10 months and most of the time I forget that I have the band. It has become such a part of my life now. I know what to eat and how much to eat.

I was very similar in size as you. I'm 6'2" and my highest weight was 330. Had the surgery at 295. I wore the XXXL t shirts and the 48 pants too. Now, I have no X's before the L. My pants are 36. I'm sure I'll have to buy XL just for the extra length but they'll be big in the gut.

Find a support group, go, and visit with those that are banded. I've yet to meet someone that's been banded that doesn't want to share info.

BTW, I have UHC and they paid 100%. Maybe if you submitted paperwork as this is a necessary surgery to cure other health problems then maybe they will pay more.

Well, I guess the 3 year bander will chime in. This is not the cure all tool and you will have to adjust your lifesyle in a big way. Learn to eat healthy is a big one. Does it have to be all rabbit food and brown rice, NO. But, gone are the days of big meals, buffets are a waste of money, and bread and flour can be an issue for some. Second thing is you will need to get out and move. This does not mean going to the gym 5 days a week. I hate the gym and have found other ways to exercise. I love bike riding and have taken up ice skating in my late 30's. Swimming is another great activity that can shed some pounds.

You will have to make changes and some you may not like, but the end results can be huge. Research if this is for you and then research some more. Know what is expected and what you need to do. Good luck and this does work.

Before: 360lbs, size 48 waist, XXL shirts

Now: 245lbs, size 40 waist, XL to XXL shirts and feeling great!!!

I've been banded for 7 months I've lost 57lbs from 330 to 273. I was wearing xxxl now xxl went from 52 to 46 already I'm 6 feet. So far its been a great decision.

Family dynamics can be tricky. I have a friend who is not obese and his wife had gastric bypass. She lost a lot of weight and now they're struggling with their marriage. I haven't pushed him for information but I can see it between them. Your relationship with your wife is so subjective it would be impossible to say how she will react. My wife was about 30 lbs heavy and has jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon with me and is down 18 lbs and loving it. It's been great for us. We bike, hike, travel, eat similar foods together much more now than before surgery.

One more advantage no one will tell you about? Your willy will look like it's bigger. It's awesome!! Had I known that would have been the only benefit I would have done it. :P

tmf

LOL about the willy, I think it is for every 30 pounds it is 1 inch longer, WOOHOO

I tell my patients 25 lbs = 1 inch.....however, that math gets scary for the really heavy guys....