Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

insubordination,

welcome to LBT! the pre-op is (IMO) the most difficult part of this journey. you can make it!

congrats on your loss so far.

This is my first post. I'm Veronica from Sydney, Australia and am getting banded on June 6. I've never told anyone this but my BMI was 51 when I had my first surgeon's visit last week (The funny thing was, I was pleased because a couple of year ago, it was 55.5). After 5 days on the pre-op diet it's now just under 50. I don't know how to maintain this diet for 3 more weeks but I'll take it one day at a time and think of my liver.

I'm so happy to find this thread because I often think that I'm the fattest person in the world and that no one understands how difficult life is when you're this big. Reading through the posts has been such a relief.

I understand how you feel! My BMI is 53.6, according to the papers I got from the doc office. I have overweight friends, but none that are as big as me. Its sad when we're walking somewhere and I have to slow down, or stop cause I can't breathe after awhile. I can't bend over to tie my shoes, so I have to kind of hike my foot up onto the bed, or couch where I'm sitting.

But alas.... i'll be thinner soon...

Welcome to this thread.

I just wanted to update here as well...

I GOT APPROVED!!!

OK, even though I KNEW I would be approved, I'm stillmore excited about this than I thought I would be! I'm trying to keep this a secret (only my 2 best friends know about it, and are SUPER supportive!) but now I feel like shouting it from the rooftop!!

I turned 30 two days ago. The whole weekend when I was out with friends (first a concert, then Dave & Busters) I kept lookig around me at all the thin people and thinking that will be me in another year or two.

The lady at the Weightloss Surgical Center said I'd possibly have my surgery within 2 weeks! ... But I'm going to Las Vegas May 28 (2 weeks from today) so it may have to wait until the week of June 4th. We'll see!

Suzzzie: Congratulations on your approval! It is the best, life changing experience that will ever happen in to you.

Besides the birth of my wonderful children, it was the most exciting day of my life. I know how you feel about wanting to shout it from the rooftops. I kept mine a secret at first, but there are so many over weight people out there that I do talk with and share my experience with when they see me and ask how I am doing it. I just can't hold it back. I am proud to have the surgery. I use to be extremely shy and reserved. I am now more outgoing than I ever have been in my life. (I am actually approaching men.) I would have never done that before. (I am divorcing)

I know you will find the new found confidence in your life. I know you will learn to eat better. It is all worth it. I do not regret one moment.

Need info............ I am two days from first fill.... think I have re-gained all pounds lost pre-op..... please tell me what your experiences were..... did you start loosing from pre-op, post-op, after fill number one, two?????????

Am I the only one, or just about the only one??? I need to know how soon after a fill this could turn around..... what's your story??? anyone????

lifelong band and losingjusme-

It looks like you are both doing quite well!!! Is it difficult, more in the beginning...... or as more weight drops off????????

CONGRATULATIONS to you both on what appears to be "tons" of success!!!

Keep up the good work!

Need info............ I am two days from first fill.... think I have re-gained all pounds lost pre-op..... please tell me what your experiences were..... did you start loosing from pre-op, post-op, after fill number one, two?????????

Am I the only one, or just about the only one??? I need to know how soon after a fill this could turn around..... what's your story??? anyone????

NO ONE should expect to lose before at least the first fill. Some do, but do NOT expect it. If people have to do pre-op diets, they'll generally lose some. As to number of fills before losing, all depends on how filled you are, and the most important of all.....

ARE YOU COMPLIANT? That's the real tough one for most of us. You can always beat the band by liquid calories, soft calories (chocolate, for example), and so forth.

The band just HELPS us be compliant, it doesn't MAKE us be compliant.

cheers

dan

Hello all! My surgery was on Tuesday and I feel terrible. I don't want to dissuade anyone, but I really need advice.

Did each of you experience burning at your port site?

Were any of you terribly hungry? Or have really bad diarrhea?

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MaryumC:help:

Hi MaryumC

I had my band fitted at the end of Jan and I def had diarrhea and was starving! Baring in mind that you only have liquids before the op and then for a few weeks after so you get really hungry and your stomach makes awful noises!hehehe You also need to remember that your band isn't working yet as you haven't had a fill so mentally and physically you are hungry. This will pass and believe me when you do start to eat again (even if it is just mushies) it is heaven :(

I also had bad diarrhea when I came out but only for a couple of days and then I was really constipated because of all the medication. I didn't have that much pain to be honest but am sure the port pain is probably normal as everyone feel pain differently and I have been pretty lucky in that area.

The pain and everything will get better so keep your chin up. I was back to work within a week (and I am a baby when it comes to pain) so give yourself another couple of days and you will def feel better.

Hello all! My surgery was on Tuesday and I feel terrible. I don't want to dissuade anyone, but I really need advice.

Did each of you experience burning at your port site?

Were any of you terribly hungry? Or have really bad diarrhea?

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MaryumC:help:

Call your doc if the surgical sights look angry red (infection, not tape-allergy) -- you don't want to mess with that!!!

I felt great the day of my surgery, but the next 2 days after I felt like I'd gotten the worse ever case of the flu. The 2 incisions at the port area hurt something awful whenever I'd bend or stretch or twist or cough or laugh; I didn't really notice the other 3 except that they itched due to tape-allergy. I wouldn't call it burning though... The 1st couple of days I didn't feel hunger at all, and then once it hit I was hungry for 2 days straight before it subsided again. I had wicked gas, and very soft stools, but not full-on diarrhea.

Gee, that all seems so long ago & I'm only three months out as of this week. I will have my 2nd fill today (much needed as just last night I ate a full-sized, pre-Band meal).

Hang in there -- the 1st 2 weeks were the worst! It's been downhill from that point on... You can do it!!!!

Okay, so maybe not cured cured, but my single co-morbidity is gone! :clap2:

For the 1st time in my life, I had high cholesterol at my check-up in November. I’d made that appointment in the 1st place after a scare while camping – my heart began to race uncontrollably & to a frightening degree as I was walking uphill to our campsite while pushing our 2 kids in their stroller. It was the test results & the camping, in combination, that brought this surgery to the forefront of priorities. At the check-up, everything came back fine except my cholesterol, which was astronomically high.

Allow me to make a chart:

GOALS Total: 100-199 / Triglycerides: < 149 / HDL: 40-59 / LDL: < 99

Me-Nov’06 ……... 268 / ……………… 249 / … fine @ 48 / ….….. 170

Me-May’07 …….. 178 / ……….…...… 137 / ………... 40 / …....... 111

I’m cured! I’m cured! I’m cured!! It’s time to leave for my 2nd fill and I’ve really been feeling discouraged because my diet since Saturday has been just horrible. I’m sure I’ve lost nothing over this week, and I have so far to go… But I’m revved up now…because my co-morbidity is CURED!! :dance:

Remind me of my enthusiasm when I haven’t eaten solid foods for 96 hours and am about to pull out my hair! :( I’m 3-months post-op as of Tuesday & I was hoping to hit 40# by this week, I shall soon see if I made my goal.

Okay, so thanks for letting me gush! :humble:

Suzanne :high5:

Hi everyone!

I am Janelle and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I am 27, going to be 28 in August.

I weight 345 lbs and am 5'10"

I am married with no children.

I have two dogs, both boxers.

We in the adoption process for a baby.

I have not undergone LAP Band yet, but am going to see my doctor soon to start the process. Right now I am dealing with female problems first.

If you have any similarities to mine and would like to become support buddies please message me back.

Myspace: www.myspace.com/ohiorosejanelleres

Email: ohiorosejanelleres@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading!

Congrats Zannie on your vastly improved results. It's truly impressive. Welcome Janelle...I bet your dogs are gorgeous. I'm a newbie here too. Good luck with your medical issues.

I am happy today too as I have arranged the money for my op. Woohoo! One less hurdle.

MaryumC, let us know if you're improving yet. I know I'm in for a rough ride with this op. I just have to remember that the pain will be temporary. The most pain I've ever been in is having my wisdom teeth cut out. That was about more than I could bear.*don'twanttodwellonpaintoomuch*

Back from first fill.... quick, simple, and painless!!! got 1cc. in my 5cc. band!!

Found out that I did NOT gain all pounds lost, back again!!! Lost another 8 pounds!!!since surgery!!!!!!

Thank you Dan for your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to all newbies~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and much success to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all ! Just wanted to step in and join for the larger bander's thread. Weigh in before the pre op diet on 4/27 was 389. Weigh in on surgery date 5/9 was 371. Since surgery as of today I am around 357. I will say I already love this band considering I have lost 32 pounds in 23 days. I went from a 55.8 bmi down to a 51.2 bmi already. I am feeling a lot better already. I think I am loosing quick because I walk 2 miles a day already. Well just wanted to say good luck to everyone.:clap2: