Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I am well aquainted with the type! While i do occasionally shop the evil W ( jeans are cheap!) I only wear silver and my wedding band is tourquoise, and i really like the fact that we are all different with such different ideas. I may not agree with everyone but I will listen. Never know what you will learn! Soon we will both be shopping in the regular departments. I find i have become much more picky about what i wear because I CAN! I don't have to only buy what is in the catalogues, I can buy WHAT I LIKE!!!

I KNOW!! Isn't it exciting to think about shopping at regular sized places!! My band is silver with torquoise & coral :D

Hi all! I haven't posted in quite a while. I have been busy, busy, busy. I just can't believe how much more I go out and do now that I have lost 72 pounds. It feels greats.

I hope all is well with you also.

Hi Kansas, being at a higher bmi the weight does seem to come off faster, but you still have to make the right food choices and excerise. When I had my done in March'06....by Dec'06 I was down 115lbs and the weight is still coming off very good each month. I lose between 8-18 lbs each month.

Thanks for the info. 5weeks from today is my surgery date! Wow i am ready. I just want to be able to feel like moving and doing something besides working and sleeping and watching tv.. :notagree I give all i have at work with my elders ( i run an assisted living) but when i get home i am DONE... I pray that i am like you and not some of the others that i have seen that aren't loosing. That will be/would be disheartening to go through all of this and not get a good start! thanks.. I am glad this thread is here. I will be on this thread for a long while. thanks again!

When talking with my doctor he said that the larger women lose a lot faster than the smaller ones, he didn't know why, but they do.

I lose on average of 10 pounds a month. I am happy with that. I can see that the elasticity in my skin seems to bounce as I go. I am hoping I won't need the plastic surgery when I am done losing the weight. I had a starting BMI of 57, I think, I am now down 12 points in my BMI.

I am in the middle of moving and going up and down the stairs carrying things is definately making sure I am getting my excercise this week. I am exhausted. I am moving little by little after work.

by the time i get banded i'll have a bmi of 49.9...i'm over 50 right now but got denied my band until i get under 50...so-i'm deciding that i fit in this category! it's nice to see that i'm not the only one that needs to lose more than 40lbs lol! talk to you soon!

courtney

I am so glad I found this thread. I know that everyone is fighting the fight but it is different to be fighting to lose 150 lbs than those who need to lose 40 - 50 lbs! It's so depressing to wish you looked like someone else's before picture!

I am scheduled for surgery on Apr. 26 so I am counting down the days now (5 days in case you're wondering). I have been on an Optifast liquid diet for over 2 weeks now and if I can make it through that I think I can make it through anything!!!!!!!

I've really enjoyed reading all of your messages (even the toilet tong ones!) and look forward to getting to know all of you better.

deanna

Dr. Mumford April 26

338(H)/321/175

Hi Deanna.

I know exactly what you mean! Hey, your current weight is where I'm almost at, so it's YOUR before picture that I would have killed for. We are almost the same age and have the same goal weight! How funny!

Good luck on your surgery. It's worth it and I know you will be so happy when the weight starts coming off. I know I am. Please keep us informed on how you're doing.

:rolleyes: Virginia

My BMI is 60.3 - too scary! I wasn't always overweight, but have always had weight issues. Believe it or not, I was anorexic as a teenager. I was very skinny. They didn't call is anorexia back then. It was called "failure to thrive". I didn't start gaining weight until my marriage was falling apart. I'm just one of those that takes my emotions out in food. As I've learned, FOOD is my drug of choice. I'm working on that, and glad to have found this site to assist with working through some of my weight issues. I've only been on it for a short period of time, but have found many helpful people and insightful information.

I have one BIG question.... lol. How do you add that ticker weight thingy from Tickerfactory to your signature???? I've created one, and I've attempted to copy and paste all the options - and still no enchilada. Anyone???? Thanks!

My own BMI was 57 when I had my band in a month ago; now I am about to break 50 soon....hard to believe. No more painful knees, and I actually can go up and down hills without the huff and puff that I did just a month ago pre-op!:clap2: And I even got brave enough to put on SHORTS today!

Good evening. I think it's been a long while since I've posted anything on lapbandtalk. I've had a lot of business going on in my work and personal life. I think that we have all felt that about wishing our after pictures could look like some of these people's before pictures.

Tuesday it will be a year since I was banded. I've had very few complications throughout the year and have been utterly satisfied with my band. I have lost 115lbs. I have gone from 61.1 BMI to 41.4 and I feel wonderful.

I had very little wrong with me before my band, other than being overweight and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.) As anyone with PCOS and a weight problem knows, losing weight with this problem is very very difficult. I am thankful that there is this tool for all of us out there to utilize.

As I have told my doctor... he has saved my life. Because the weight lifting off of my shoulders knowing that there is a freedom from the weight has made all the difference.

I hope that anyone else that is contemplating this surgery truly considers the benefits and makes a wise decision. I hope that those out there struggling find a way to overcome your obstacles. Kick up the Protein. Kick up the exercise. I was starting to get into a slump, but I've added an extra scoop of Protein Powder to my morning meal and an extra mile to my daily walk and it's working again!

Thanks for letting me share! It feels wonderful to be a part of this community.

Smeeper

356/241/160

LETS GO BIGGIN'S, SOME OF US HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO....There is no better time to kick it up that in the spring/summer!!!! OK maybe this pep-talk is for myself... but, I am stuck in the middle of bandster hell.... My first fill date is set for May 17th-07. I can, again, eat half a cow, at one sitting!!! I need restriction!!! I need exercise!!! I need protein!!! Let's get a move on with this weight loss thing!!! This is my year to change for the better--- In a million ways!!!

GOOD LUCK TOO ALL OF YOU!!!!and me tooo!!!

PS- not lost one pound since surgery and think I'm gaining again... was able to wear my wedding band (hadn't for 18 months), now too tight again!!

Don't feel alone. I could eat a horse if it were in front of me right now. I get my 1st fill on Wednesday and can't wait. I hope it helps a lot, cause I want to get this show on the road. I also have gained some weight back. I still better off now then just six weeks ago.

I too was diagnosed with PCOS, but way too late to have been helped. I'd already gotten into pre-menopausal before being diagnosed. I remember the gynos always saying, "High testosterone levels - you're hubby must love that!" And, I was like - huh? I have been told it's harder for PCOS patients to lose weight. I haven't been banded as yet, but so looking forward to it! I have my first appointment on the 24th!!!! Yeah!!!!

So you have your first appointment on my anniversary!?!? Groovy!

My gyno had me down to eating 1000 calories a day. She said women with PCOS pretty much have to starve themselves to lose weight. So, I was doing that and I was miserable. Now I'm lucky if I even touch 1000 calories a day!! My band is my best friend; truly!

Yes, my hubband is worn out most of the time due to my high testosterone levels! I think I make up in testosterone what he lacks sometimes. Heh.

Good luck and let us know how your appointment goes!

For those of you struggling with the eating, I must say I could eat a whole bunch still before my first fill. Just remember, though, that it's up to you to know when to stop eating before you get your restriction going. Just because you CAN eat half of a cow doesn't mean you HAVE to! (I'm not meaning that rude or derogatory.) I'm just saying, part of my initial success was saying, "Ok, I'm still hungry, but I've eaten enough that I'm comfortable for now, so I am going to stop."

Just a suggestion for those struggling. Another suggestion is that you kick up the Protein. Protein will make you feel full longer and quicker.

Good luck everyone!

Debbie