Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

My surgery was at 8:30am on the 15th, and I came home (to my parent’s house) at 4pm on the 16th. I haven’t much energy right now:tired , but I wanted to touch base before too much time went by. My starting weight is 320lbs, with a BMI of 58.5.

The procedure went well, and I felt really good yesterday except for some very strong pain at the actual port site. Bending over to do ‘anything’ is still so painful at the port! ;) I was up & walking around very well by 6:30pm. I even went to the Lap-Band support group that happened to meet last night at the hospital. I crawled into bed at 11pm feeling so encouraged, despite the port pain.

This morning at 3am, however, I woke up to pee & felt flu-ish (as if every muscle ached). I could hardly move my legs & chalked it up to sleeping the hospital bed. By 7am, when the nurse woke me to check my vitals, I couldn’t even left my head off the pillow. :sick And I had a slight fever (100.6), too. But my surgeon checked me out & said that flu-like symptoms were often a side effect of anesthesia. I feel like I’ve been hit by a Mac truck, but so be it.

I left the hospital with my hubby at 1pm, dropped of my Vicoden Rx, and browsed through a discount store next to the pharmacy while waiting on the prescription. After that we came back to my folks’, I hugged on my babies (who were none the worse for my absence ;)) and took a nap. Now I’m off for my dinner of a Protein Shake. That is my main diet for the next 2 weeks. My clinic recommends 16-24 oz daily of Protein shake made with skim milk, supplemented by plenty of Water, broth, Jell-O, pudding & yogurt for the 1st 2 weeks. Such fun! :)

Well, my shake is gonna separate if I don’t get to it soon, so...

man...my dr has me on clear liquids....you get a protien shake!?!??!

lucky...lucky....lucky.....

Hello Y'All,

I am almost 1 month post surgery and feeling GREAT! I have a long ways to go but I AM DETERMINED TO GET THERE! I JUST THINK OF THE CONFUSCIUS SAYING.....A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH BUT A SINGLE STEP......I AM ALREADY A FEW STEPS DOWN THE ROAD.

1/3/07 PRE-OP - 516

1/19/07 SURGERY - 502

1/29/07 - 492

2/5/07 - 481

2/13/07 - 476

2/20/07 - 464

NOW IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH TICKER FACTORY!

Hello Y'All,

I am almost 1 month post surgery and feeling GREAT! I have a long ways to go but I AM DETERMINED TO GET THERE! I JUST THINK OF THE CONFUSCIUS SAYING.....A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH BUT A SINGLE STEP......I AM ALREADY A FEW STEPS DOWN THE ROAD.

1/3/07 PRE-OP - 516

1/19/07 SURGERY - 502

1/29/07 - 492

2/5/07 - 481

2/13/07 - 476

Thats a great start GOOD FOR YOU!! I am hoping to get a date very soon!

So I threw up last night. I’m 2 days out from surgery & I’ve only consumed the prescribed Protein Shakes, Water, and ice chips. It was bedtime & I needed to take my asthma pill (small & square). I sipped it down with small slurps from a bathroom dixie cup of water. And within 5 minutes I was throwing up. :)

Everything was clear at my post-op x-ray and I didn’t have any problems holding liquids down the day of the surgery or the following day prior to bedtime. I was worried that the 2 larger, oval Vicodin pills would back up the works, but they didn’t. Interestingly, the pill itself didn’t seem to come back up. I doubt that it dissolved that quickly, so it must’ve been in the lower stomach already -- and stayed there. I knew I was gonna puke, I could tell well in advance, but I couldn’t stop it. Up came the water, swirled with chocolate Protein Shake congealed globules from 2 hours before. Ugh. I went right to bed afterward.

This morning I’ve sipped down 1-scoop of shake in 6 oz of milk, and am working on a 2nd serving of the same now. I have very little energy, and no appetite at all, but no nausea so far (knock on wood). I’ve always been a gulper, so I am using toddler sippy cup for my shakes today. And I’m nervous about vomiting again! I hope I haven’t dislodged my band, or screwed anything up inside.

I threw up right after surgery after taking a pill, also. I know how scary it is but as long as you don't do it continually, you're probably ok.

So I threw up last night. I’m 2 days out from surgery & I’ve only consumed the prescribed Protein Shakes, Water, and ice chips. It was bedtime & I needed to take my asthma pill (small & square). I sipped it down with small slurps from a bathroom dixie cup of water. And within 5 minutes I was throwing up. :)

Everything was clear at my post-op x-ray and I didn’t have any problems holding liquids down the day of the surgery or the following day prior to bedtime. I was worried that the 2 larger, oval Vicodin pills would back up the works, but they didn’t. Interestingly, the pill itself didn’t seem to come back up. I doubt that it dissolved that quickly, so it must’ve been in the lower stomach already -- and stayed there. I knew I was gonna puke, I could tell well in advance, but I couldn’t stop it. Up came the water, swirled with chocolate Protein Shake congealed globules from 2 hours before. Ugh. I went right to bed afterward.

This morning I’ve sipped down 1-scoop of shake in 6 oz of milk, and am working on a 2nd serving of the same now. I have very little energy, and no appetite at all, but no nausea so far (knock on wood). I’ve always been a gulper, so I am using toddler sippy cup for my shakes today. And I’m nervous about vomiting again! I hope I haven’t dislodged my band, or screwed anything up inside.

I had trouble the first two days getting water and liquid pain meds down and slimed several times I think the stomach is still swollen on day three I started taking my regular pills but crushed them in a pill crusher and mixed them in a spoon of strained cream Soup. The strained cream soup stays down good in little sips that is what I mainly eat is different strained cream Soups. Take it slow and hopefully in the next couple of days your swelling will go down so you can try some soup.

Good Luck!!

Terry

Hi from Mississippi!

My presurgical weight was 330 with a BMI of 60. I'm 5'2" PLUS I'm 52 years young,,lol. Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon!

Deb

Banded 012907

Dr Ken Cleveland

CMMC Medical Ctr-Jackson, MS

wt today- 305

(when i figure out how to put the ticker thingie and all the fancy stuff,,,i will!)

The BMI 50+ board has been quiet for the last few days, so I just wanted to pop in & say HI! :wave: How’s everybody doing? Anybody else newly banded, like me?

:update:

I’m a week post-op as of Thursday, and hanging in there. I’ve still got pain at the largest of my incisions, and at the port itself. They are next to each other so the right side of my abdomen is pretty achy – just called in for a Vicodin refill. I was optimistic that the pain would be gone by now, but it just isn’t at those 2 of my 5 incisions. Oh well. My 4-year-old just gave me a hug and…OUCH!:D

I’m having trouble finding enough hours in the day to sip down 64oz of fluid! But aside from that 2nd night post-op, I haven’t had any nausea or vomiting. I’m sticking to Protein Shakes (24oz totaling 90-95g Protein depending the powder I use) during the day, and then Water, 1 tiny bowl of creamed Soup broth, and some of a SF pudding cup to round out my evening hours (when DH heads to the pantry).

The protein shakes were making me insane :), but I finally hit on adding General Foods International coffee powder to them and now things are dandy! (Using the sugar free Decaf variety, it’s only an additional 30 calories, 2.5g fat, and 2g carbs per 2-scoops of Protein Powder. The regular decaf version adds 60 cal, 2g fat and 9g of sugar.) They come in coffee flavors (that I love mixed with the chocolate protein) vanilla cream (which goes nicely with the fruit protein powder), and Chai Latte.

I’ve been walking on our treadmill everyday, and am up to 25 mins now. My surgeon wants us walking a minimum of 30 mins a day, so I’m almost there. I’ve never been into any sort of exercise, but I get on the treadmill when the family is eating dinner, so as not to be tempted! It is working well for now. :-) Once I’ve progressed to the mushie stage, I’ll join them again for dinner & will have to figure out a new place to fit in my workout!

I started at 320/BMI 58. My home scale says I lost 7 pounds in the 1st 7 days:clap:, but I'm not sure how accurate it is! My goal was 20lb off with liquids to bring me to 300 before mushies, and at a pound a day I'll fall short. Still, DOWN is encouraging (even if I wish it were more)! :)

So, that’s my lengthy update… :typing:

sounds like you are doing good. What is the etiquitte for forums? You know.. I can't decide whether I should be posting on several threads or not. I've been posting on my journal, feb/march bandsters the same things (cut and paste) then thought I would here to... Is that ok?? ARe there rules?

Tracy aka Synicalchick

Hello Y'All,

1/3/07 PRE-OP - 516

1/19/07 SURGERY - 502

1/29/07 - 492

2/5/07 - 481

2/13/07 - 476

Wow! What great success! I hope that I can be as successful! That is fantastic!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Kudos to you!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I had my surgery 2/19 and am feeling pretty good. The port site is sore of course and am looking forward to it subsiding. Thank goodness for pain Rx!!!

My Dr. put me on a clear liquid diet but has boosted it to Stage 2 this weekend since all is going so well. (Thicker liquids and creamed soups/blended or strained).

I thought by now that the lack of chewing would drive me nuts but so far...so good:clap2: ! I have actually been around food with my family and it hasn't been bad. I haven't yet had real hunger!!!:) Could this be for real?

Best wishes to all on continued success!

~mlevel~

P.S. Once I get a hang of the ticker...I will keep you posted on my success. Will have my first weigh in at my 2 week post-op. Wish me luck!

sounds like you are doing good. What is the etiquitte for forums? You know.. I can't decide whether I should be posting on several threads or not. I've been posting on my journal, feb/march bandsters the same things (cut and paste) then thought I would here to... Is that ok?? ARe there rules?

Tracy aka Synicalchick

I don't think there is any thing wrong with posting on multiple treads. I post on February Bandsters, Wisconsin, Minnesota, pre-op post-op and this one but the one I spend the most time on is February Bandsters so I guess I will see you there. Good luck with your recovery

Terry