Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

nykee,

100 pounds is alot of weight to lose. Do not give up hope. maybe you need another fill? Maybe re evaluate what you are eating? Maybe shock your system with an increased excercize routine? Just remember you didn't put all the weight on in a year, don't expect to take it off in that time. You can reach your goal weight, it will just take time.

Yep Nursey, my insurance said the same thing regarding bmi. Ive lost 17 lbs since i left maine to do this, and it hasnt been easy. One of the reasons i want to have it down here is JUST for the reasons you posted. Where i live it is still a very new surgery. They have a doctor in Portland who does them, but he hasnt done anywhere near the ones this one has. I am hopeful. I do hear you about full coverage and the difference.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Hello All:

New To This Wagon Train.....but I Am Told A Journey Of 1000 Miles Begins With But One Step....confusicus

Banded 1/19/2007

1/19/2007 - 502

1/30/2007 - 491

"w"

Hello All:

New To This Wagon Train.....but I Am Told A Journey Of 1000 Miles Begins With But One Step....confusicus

Banded 1/19/2007

1/19/2007 - 502

1/30/2007 - 491

"w"

Welcom pennst8er:biggrin1: You have your band which is a great tool, just remember to stick as close to the band rules as possible it will help you succeed faster, then going on and off track like I do sometimes:rolleyes: . You have broken the 500 mark and you're into the 400's. By the end of the year you maybe out of the 400's. Focus on 5-10 lbs at a time, Pray:angel:, eat right :hungry: :) , Water :spit: , and excerise :D just do this over and over and over some more.:hug:

2bthinagain - have we talked before? I'm in KCMO. Are you in KS or MO? Do you have a surgeon picked out?

Wheetsin......we have talked before. I have lurked and posted some. I have been coming here since 11-05 AND waiting for a facility and Dr to be covered under my insurance. Now, finally... Dr Hoehn and Shawnee Msn are covered. So I have to go to ANOTHER of their seminars Monday Feb 5. I have all my records I am taking with me. Letters from my Dr's. I am gonna look like TracyinKS when I go in there! She has her ducks in a row. Thats gonna be me. I wanna get the ball rolling here. I wish I could get a surgery date or at least a surgeon appt. We will see. I follow alot of you guys and read your posts. I have learned so much here and have gotten alot of encouragement from all of you! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Monday.

And I live in Leavenworth- Home of the BIG HOUSE

Wheetsin......we have talked before. I have lurked and posted some. I have been coming here since 11-05 AND waiting for a facility and Dr to be covered under my insurance. Now, finally... Dr Hoehn and Shawnee Msn are covered. So I have to go to ANOTHER of their seminars Monday Feb 5. I have all my records I am taking with me. Letters from my Dr's. I am gonna look like TracyinKS when I go in there! She has her ducks in a row. Thats gonna be me. I wanna get the ball rolling here. I wish I could get a surgery date or at least a surgeon appt. We will see. I follow alot of you guys and read your posts. I have learned so much here and have gotten alot of encouragement from all of you! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Monday.

And I live in Leavenworth- Home of the BIG HOUSE

I thought your handle was familiar, but there are just a few too hundred names here for me to be sure. :faint: :heh: Dr. Hoehn did my surgery. I think he's a wonderful surgeon, but I've had some challenges with some of his staff. But I'd still go back to him. Dr. Hitchcock did the last info night so Dr. Hoehn *I think* would do the next one.

I've been to Leavenworth - kind of. I've been to the military base. And a relative is a big wig at the big house. But I've never been there. :heh:

[quote Dr. Hoehn did my surgery. I think he's a wonderful surgeon, but I've had some challenges with some of his staff. But I'd still go back to him. Dr. Hitchcock did the last info night so Dr. Hoehn *I think* would do the next one.

Hitchcock did the seminar I went to, back in 11-05 so I've seen him. I hope Hoehn does this one. I have seen pictures of him but not seen him in person. I know last year I was told to come get my records because they wouldnt be able to work with me for awhile due to my insurance. When I picked them up..this certain person in the office got a little uppity with me. I had decided to not ever go back. BUT, they are the only place right now I can get this surgery. So, I will swallow my pride because I want this SO BAD!

2bthinagn I'm sorry that you had to deal with bad customer service and remember that's what it was. You did nothing wrong so don't feel bad. You go back with head held high and if the person gets uppity with you again, please report it to a supervisor. That office is their to provide a service and you deserve good customer service. Head held high knowing that you are worthy. Love you.

I am waiting for my insurance approval also. I don't want to tell anyone at least until I know my insurance is going to approve it. I get sick when I think I am so excited and they may reject me.I should know something today, so I am anxiously waiting. I have sent my packet of info back to the doctor, had blood work and seen my family doctor. Now I am waiting to hear from insurance to make my other appointments.

I had decided to not ever go back. BUT, they are the only place right now I can get this surgery. So, I will swallow my pride because I want this SO BAD!
Honestly, and I get nothing for saying this (except grief if the wrong person reads it) - Dr. Hoehn and Billie (the LB coordinator) are awesome. And Becky (receptionist) is a peach. Enough so that it's (IMO) worth dealing with the others. They aren't all bad. But there are two or three bad apples, and one in particular. (And a LOT of people see this, band and RNY, so don't think it's ever "just you").

I had my annual physical last week. I don't have much need to go to the doctor, so I had only seen her once since my surgery and she didn't remember I'd had it done. This doctor considers herself "pro lapband".

So she walks and starts looking over my stats and this is how the conversation goes. I got quite a tickle out of it:

"Now you have a BMI of 37. Do you know what a BMI is?"

"Oh yes, very familiar with it."

"Really? I think your the first person who's ever known what it is. Well obviously I'd really like to see that number come down a little."

"Yeah, me too! But it is down. It was over 56 less than a year ago."

*looks at me befuddled, jaw hanging*

"I had lapband surgery in March."

"Well, I'll just shut up then!"

My doc is awesome, she cracks me up.