Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay friends, I'm having some feelings and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm 9 weeks post op and am down 47 lbs. I put a lot of thought into every meal. I track every calorie and work out every day. I'm starting to see changes in my body but still very much see myself as the "fat girl".

What's starting to worry me is maybe I'm becoming TOO concerned about food. Today, I've been having some fluttery feelings in my chest and weird tunnel vision. It happened when I was at a birthday party and my husband got very concerned. When he asked what I had eaten, I checked my log and had only taken in 395 calories for the day (this was at 7:00 pm). He thought I must be hungry so we left to go grab some Chinese. I didn't feel hungry at all but didn't object, and got some egg flower Soup and chicken almond chow mein. The WHOLE time I just kept thinking - ugh, CALORIES!! I was varying off my plan and it honestly disgusted me. I ate about 1/2 cup and took the rest home but did feel better after eating.

My husband is watching me like a hawk now, even though I've assured him that I do eat. I came home and ran 20 mins on the treadmill and he kept checking on me.

I can't help put think critically of all my food choices. I I am not intentionally eating way low cal but everything I eat is lean and healthy so it's naturally low. Has anyone else gotten a little too focused on food? My husband says its a slippery slope to starving myself. While I don't think it's that extreme (because I do eat!), maybe I do have an issue with food but opposite of what it used to be, with over eating?

I have had the same issue. It is like I went from one extreme to the next. Just remember you do need calories to lose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode if you arent feeding it. I typically feel better on the days I allow myself to have more calories. I just overall feel like I have more energy.

Okay friends' date=' I'm having some feelings and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm 9 weeks post op and am down 47 lbs. I put a lot of thought into every meal. I track every calorie and work out every day. I'm starting to see changes in my body but still very much see myself as the "fat girl".

What's starting to worry me is maybe I'm becoming TOO concerned about food. Today, I've been having some fluttery feelings in my chest and weird tunnel vision. It happened when I was at a birthday party and my husband got very concerned. When he asked what I had eaten, I checked my log and had only taken in 395 calories for the day (this was at 7:00 pm). He thought I must be hungry so we left to go grab some Chinese. I didn't feel hungry at all but didn't object, and got some egg flower Soup and chicken almond chow mein. The WHOLE time I just kept thinking - ugh, CALORIES!! I was varying off my plan and it honestly disgusted me. I ate about 1/2 cup and took the rest home but did feel better after eating.

My husband is watching me like a hawk now, even though I've assured him that I do eat. I came home and ran 20 mins on the treadmill and he kept checking on me.

I can't help put think critically of all my food choices. I I am not intentionally eating way low cal but everything I eat is lean and healthy so it's naturally low. Has anyone else gotten a little too focused on food? My husband says its a slippery slope to starving myself. While I don't think it's that extreme (because I do eat!), maybe I do have an issue with food but opposite of what it used to be, with over eating?[/quote']

Down 47 lbs in 9 weeks! That's great. But u don't wanna loose weight too quickly. It's natural to have the "fat girl" feelings. I too feel the same way sometimes, even at 150 lbs. but you shouldn't over do it. You have a great start on your weight loss journey.

Jen - I agree with you. I think we do obsess over food on both directions. My husband has pointed this out to me just like your story. Every evening I plan out my next day, every meal, snack and exercise that I will do. I get very nervous and anxious if my "plan" gets disrupted. But being that I've only been banded for 6 months I feel I am still learning and need this structure. I'm down 53lbs so I must be doing something right.

Anyway, I think in time it will become second nature and hopefully we won't obsess so much. I say keep plugging alone, it sounds like you have great support with hubby (me too) and he'll keep you from going overboard.

Just be careful! Too few calories can cause all kinds of problems!!!!

You need to eat to lose. You need a certain amount of Protein too. Have you tried journaling on a website that can track all of your info like calories,protein sugar etc? The obsessing is the other side of the coin. I understand the obsessing. When I do that I totally tighten up and can't physically eat a thing. I've been told eating shouldn't be a chore. Good luck

Wendy

I have a sister that went from one extreme to another. She was over 400lbs when she started and lost over 200lbs in less then a year. She is over 6ft tall and she got so obsessed with food and weight that once she hit goal weight she still wouldn't eat and began starving herself and this lead her to be put in the hospital and her organs started shutting down. They fed her intravenous for weeks and she had to take a lot of Vitamins and drink Protein. You need to speak to a nutritionist and find out how many calories you need for your body to function correctly

I think it's only natural to feel this way. Awareness of yourself is very important. You have done an amazing job in 9 weeks by losing 47 lbs. I think I feel the exact same way because deciding to get the lap band was such a big decision to make that I'm very concerned with success because I felt like this was the last option I had. I too find myself being over cautious about what I consume, and I'm only one week post op, but mostly it's because I want to succeed. Don't become overly worried about this, be aware of yourself, and continue on your journey. Thanks for sharing.

Gratz on the amazing weightloss! My suggestion, other than what everyone else has said, just listen to your body. If you're feeling weak, add more calories. And they don't have to be not-so-good calories like Chinese. You could have a chicken breast or some fish. Protein is very important. My nutritionist suggested 1200cal diet for me, and I'm doing good if I get 900cal in a day. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your support, it means a lot to me. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I emailed my nutritionist yesterday and also touched base with my PCP. I think the vision changes was actually aura from a Migraine that was coming on. I've never had the aura before but after some research it was exactly what was going on...I used my migraine med and so far have been better.

@Zinhaa, I use myfitnesspal to track everything. I make sure before dinner that my Protein intake is on track then adjust from there. I'm hitting 60-80 grams of Protein a day, but lean protein just doesn't have that many calories.

Maybe I'm just hyper-focused because I don't want to fail. This was a huge decision, one that my husband was on the fence about it, so I feel like I need to not only prove to myself that I can do it, but I also have a leary husband and pro-sleeve surgeon to convince that I can be successful.

The concept of "eating to lose" seemed SO far out there before I started this process. Afterall, I was eating all the time and not losing magically!! Cheeseburgers don't count? :) It's amazing that the right balance of foods can leave you nourished and not hungry.