Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Following an earlier post where I asked if any band patients had experienced fibrous stricture - where you experience pain before eating, whilst eating and after eating! This went on for 3.5 years and I was told it was because the band was too tight. The tightest I ever managed was 3.5cc - anymore and I couldn't swallow. At my last appointment with my surgeon I stood my ground and said take all the fill out.

He suspects there is fibrous stricture where the band touched the stomach wall and this has reacted to the band. Now the band is empty I still feel some constriction and I still get pain although not continuous( as when the band had 1cc in) when I eat and after.

I live in the UK. At my pre-surgery weight, my BMI and other related conditions meant that I met the NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) criteria for NHS funded surgery - however they refused to do this. So I borrowed money and had the band fitted. I now learn that the NHS will not help me with any problems relating to band surgery - even though my surgeon was also doing some NHS bands at the time.

So here is the dilemma - I need an investigation and probably band removal and I will have to pay for this myself. So do I just try and find a way of getting the band removed privately and not bother getting the camera diagnosis confirming what everyone suspects? I really cannot afford any of this so it seems pointless to pay for two procedures..... my GP also advised me to think carefully about these options as her opinion is that it should come out. She said at 5 years I was one of the longest banded patients at their practice and she suspects that banding is soon going to be outdated.

Has anyone experience of using private services provided by NHS hospitals rather than good old Spire and similar private hospitals?- I read something in the paper about the NHS going down this route at the weekend. It appears they trying to raise revenues by offering private work - makes me cross though as it seems at odds with the basic ethos of the NHS.

Anyway enough rambling - I would love to hear from anyone who has had their band removed or with any advice or thoughts you would like to offer!

Thanks

Jane

I'm having some tests done on the NHS for pain I'm having and if it turns out to be my band my gp said that the NHS might not be happy to do it but they would have to. I would write to your pct? If there is s clinical reason for it to come out and you cannot afford it I think they would have to.

Hello 'trying2slim' - good thought. I suspect it will be the post code lottery. The fact that our local main hospital is setting up to do their own private work makes me a bit despondent... but I need to investigate further. The only good thing about that is they cannot possibly charge as much as the other private hospital groups!

I hope it works out. I'm paying for an xray with my private provider because the NHS won't look at my band until they have ruled out other things but I've been poorly and was very sick and now having reflux and I'm.worried about a slip if not worse from years of struggling with my band and not.seeing anyone. If it turns out to be my band making me ill then I've made it very clear I cannot pay but will at least be able to say I paid to get it checked and then argue from a clinical point of view if needed. I'm hoping just a slip and some swelling at the worst. If this band goes I'm not having anything else done its healthy eating and excercise. This has at least forced me to address a lot of my issues even I'd I've not used my band well in the process and all the weight I have lost has been through my hard work changing habits.

I totally agree - after 5 years this has helped me address eating issues too. In a strange way I have also come to the conclusion that whilst the band makes you eat slower which is so important, and also address the amount you eat it actually promotes very poor eating habits if you have it adjusted wrong. And how many 'bandsters' have their band adjusted to the optimum I wonder? Since having my band emptied I have lost 3kgs in 6 weeks by following weight watchers online!. I ate my first apple in 5 years and it was a joy and I am also eating more vegetables and love it!

I am now considering more vegetarian meals, perhaps 3 or 4 nights a week and have requested some veggie cookbooks as birthday presents :-).

Re: funding to get an endoscopy diagnosis. I received some more information about requesting this. I would need my GP to request an endoscopy using the 'choose and book' system. This would need an authorisation from the PCT to fund it and that is not guaranteed. So I will go back and ask for the request to be set in motion. I also have a nagging concern in the back of my mind that whilst we are all assuming this stricture as being the cause of the esophageal pain it may not be... so if I can get this endoscopy done on the NHS that would be very helpful. The bigger decision about the band would follow on from this diagnosis. But after sleeping on it I am pretty certain I want it taking out now.

Please keep in contact - it is so reassuring to chat with someone experiencing similar concerns

J

x

I'm using the choose and book system.for.my ultrasound buy my gp won't refer me for an endoscopy unless they rule out gallstones.

Last night I was on.the phone to.my aunt who is a cardiac surgeon and she says she thinks I have some erosion which sent me into a panic. I really wish I hadn't done this now because if I have damaged myself I will be so upset. Basically a band makes you eat less and feel satisfied but that's just eating like a normal person and the only good thing to come from this for me is I've learnt I domt need it and can lose weight the healthy way.

I've got my xray on the 23rd and hopefully it will show the band is in place. I had thought that if it looks ok I would use it until goal but now I think I will try and get it removed.

How you doing?

Oh goodness - I think the sooner we both get a correct diagnosis the better! My GP is on holiday for the next week so waiting to request choose and book for an endoscopy and see if they accept or reject my request. Still drinking gaviscon but not as much thankfully.

I joined weight watchers as I wanted the online food diary to keep a track of what I was eating and since I had my band emptied I have lost 4kgs.... but I have friends and family also doing this as well so lots of support. I would add that I can now eat healthy stuff - lots of vegetables and fruit and am considering going vegetarian at least 3 days a week.

Onwards and upwards - I am sure we will get to the bottom of theses problems - we just have to wait for everyone else to pay attention!

Hiya. Good luck with ww. Today I had my band checked and all is fine which is a relief so now hoping my gp with find out what my pain is. Gonna really stick to the rules so ad not to cause any damage now and hope things get sorted x

I've got gallstones and maybe an ulcer!

Hope your gp helps x x x

>trying2slim

Oh dear! Sorry to hear your news. Wishing you speedy treatment and recovery. I am still waiting to hear if my GP recommended me for the endoscopy.

J

Endoscopy done today! I have a group of ulcers about an inch (25mm) in length from the lower oesophagus to the cardia and a hiatus hernia :-(

The ulcers explain the chronic pain I have suffered over the last 4 years. The omeprozole was not helping and that was because it was not a total reflux issue. The consultant thinks the ulceration is is due in part to stasis of food sitting in the oesophagus. And this is due to tight band and also not eating small/regular meals.....

Apparently it will take a couple of months to heal the ulcers and I am now taking sucralfate 1gm x 4 times per day and also back on omeprozole

Not sure what the moral of this story is but I would advise anyone suffering long term pain at any time of day to get it checked out if you can.

Bizarrely the band is ok, empty but no stricture evident. It is staying empty for some time until I feel better and can sleep through the night with out getting up to drink gaviscon.

My band is empty too. I had an upper GI (Twice) and everything is ok. I only suffer from straight heartburn. I'm considering having the band removed.

I've been on Nexium for two months and it didn't work. I was on Prevacid for a month and it was great but once I was done with the meidication the rebound was on bareable. It worries me because Im not happy. I'll ask my doc to see if its an ulcer