Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded June 5 so like 4 weeks ago, down 26 lbs and go in for my first fill on the 18th. Starting to eat too much. I have been trying to keep under 1000 calories a day and was doing well but the past two days I have ate probably 1500 calories. I have no restriction at this time and I have gained back 2 lbs - pretty scared I will keep eating. I know there is no restriction but I was doing so well till past two days- what is wrong with me!?!?

You're probably experiencing 'bandster hell'. It's that time between surgery and the fills where your band is most likely empty or close to it which means all the Portion Control is on you. Band is there but probably not doing much. I went through it. It got better after the 2nd fill but I hear some people take 3 to 5 fills before they hit the green zone.

In the beginning I felt I had restriction as well but it was really just my body healing and getting used to the band. Over time I was able to go back and eat the same way I was before surgery and it was a mental challenge to push through 'bandster hell'

Hang in there it will get better when the fills start coming but just know it might take 2, 3 or 5. Everyone is different.

Good Luck!!

Thanks a bunch Jim! I was hoping I was one of those people who dont even need a fill- lol. yes, I had that where I thought just getting it was working great and dropping pounds. Now I hope my first fill will do the trick at least till its time for my next one! The nurse practitioner I work with told me the surgeon doesnt put any saline in the band at the time of surgery so it just must be hanging out in there. I'm going to try to get back to exercising tomorrow and watching everything I eat starting now!

Thanks a bunch Jim! I was hoping I was one of those people who dont even need a fill- lol.

That's exactly how I felt and was thinking I would be a lucky one and not need a fill but what you described about yourself above was me spot on back in late April. Unfortunately the lucky ones not needing the fill are few and far between. I just got my 3rd fill this morning and I am hoping this will be the zone for me. My appetite has diminished and the need to indulge has faded. I got another cc this morning because I told the Nurse my stomach would growl after about 3.5 hours. Hopefully this did the trick.

There is nothing wrong with you...you're just getting hungry. Will power while in "bandster hell" will help with diet compliance.

It helped me alot to use my hunger to remind myself to drink the free fluids we need every day...the SF and FF choices are many and varied. I usually drink about 80-90 oz of Water every day. I had to wait 14 weeks for my first fill, and now am looking forward to the second one in 2 weeks!

Best wishes...

I must also be in Bandster hell I Banded May 24th doc will not do the first fill until July 9th. I am so hungry, I get on the scale every morning to see how I am doing it has moved up and down a few pounds but no more weight loss. I have been at 206 for about two weeks. I was also hoping not to need any fills LOL not happening,

Lassie

Okay, so still frustrated, I have some extra stress this week in life, so that doesnt help and now I have reverted back to stress eating. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Only 12 days till a fill, now to figure out how to talk them into filling it enough that I can tell a difference. Actually the idea of getting it filled I think makes me nervous about throwing up so I'm hoping my subconscious will take over and help keep me on track.

Tomorrow will be a better day! I did good till tonight, then had brownies :o( Tomorrow its a trip to the gym and lots of Water and crystal light! Thanks for letting me vent everyone!

Keep drinking the Protein Shakes, they help you feel more full. I was told it will take me three more fills before my band will start working. Until then I am drinking my Protein, eating greek yogurt and holding on.