Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Inspiration, Support, Ideas?

I am at a VERY frustrating point in my journey. I had a lap band on 9/2011 & I'm only 40 lbs down. I work out daily & I record what I eat. I can proudly say I am a very good lap band patient. I do everything right. Which makes this maintaining rut I'm in all the more frustrating!

Dr. office tested my resting metabolism, it said I should consume 1900 calories to lose weight. But I am only consuming about 1100 - 1300. But my band simply won't allow me to eat much more!

It's so strange, in the beginning of this journey, it was all about eating less, and losing weight. But could it be that now I need to eat more to lose weight? I can easily eat three meals, but remembering to sneak in some Snacks is hard, I'm simply not hungry. But maybe I have to give it a try. So this week I'm going to try to increase Protein. I have a few friends online that are lap band patients and they seem to do well when they increase the protein.

My morning Breakfast is already packed with protein. I make a shake in the morning that has Jay Robb Protein powder, plus Chobani Greek yogurt, milk and fruit. I also munch on a few almonds, so my breakfast has 62 grams of protein. My dietitian for lap band told me that we need at least 20 grams of protein with each meal. So I'm obviously getting a jump start in the morning. But others I've seen have lunch and dinner with protein in the 20-30-40 grams. So maybe that's what I need to be doing?

This weekend I went to Sam's Club and spent a fortune on pre-cooked meats (because it's easy). I bought sliced beef brisket, chicken sausage, pork Jerky (because it's tender), and chicken. I feel like a total carnivore! LOL!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is or has experiencing the same problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you talked to a dietician? I wish I had some words of advice and I don't but I know someone out there can help you. I do think that if you aren't eating enough even if you're heavy that it can keep you from losing weight (been there done that) and it's so frustrating. Sounds to me like you're doing it all right but maybe a professional would have more info on how to help. Good luck!!

My dietician would tell you that you are consuming too many slider type foods for breakfast. Don't know about the rest of your meals? I was banded 11/2011 and also have lost 40 lbs. I'm not disappointed at all.

I agree with Fericito, see your nutritionist/dietician. I thought I was only eating 1200-1400 calories a day but she pointed out how I could eliminate about 400 empty calories by changing just a few food choices. It's well worth the time and money.

tmf

I don't know where they came up with 1900 calories to LOSE!!!! I thi k that is WAY too high. My nutritionist has wanted me to be at 800 - 900 daily and that's what I've done over the past year to lose just under two pounds per week. I weigh, measure, and log every bite I eat. Lately I've been getting between 600- 800 calories, all Protein, veggies, and a little dairy. The term "starvation mode" is soooo over used on this site. Banders don't, in general, eat anywhere close to 1900 calories and expect to lose. There is a great article on the web written by Dr. Simpson called "It's all about Restriction". Talks about how little banders need to consume and explains how our brains are tricked into thinking we've consumed a whole stomach full of food because of our pouch, hence no starvation mode.

I don't know where they came up with 1900 calories to LOSE!!!! I thi k that is WAY too high. My nutritionist has wanted me to be at 800 - 900 daily and that's what I've done over the past year to lose just under two pounds per week. I weigh, measure, and log every bite I eat. Lately I've been getting between 600- 800 calories, all Protein, veggies, and a little dairy. The term "starvation mode" is soooo over used on this site. Banders don't, in general, eat anywhere close to 1900 calories and expect to lose. There is a great article on the web written by Dr. Simpson called "It's all about Restriction". Talks about how little banders need to consume and explains how our brains are tricked into thinking we've consumed a whole stomach full of food because of our pouch, hence no starvation mode.

Highland, most of us need about 2000 calories to live without losing. If she's burning 400 calories more a day with her activity level she will need 2400 calories a day to maintain. If she consumes 1900 she will have burned 500 more than she ate. 7 X 500 = 3500 = 1 lb per week. That's the math they use and for most of us it's fairly accurate.

tmf

Thanks for your replies. I have seen my dietician. She agrees with the resting metabolism test - that I need 1900 calories a day in order to lose weight. I don't often eat wasteful calories - mainly because my band is so restricting, I have little room as it is. Today for lunch (just now) I at probably half a link of this chicken sausage I got. And I'm about to cough up a portion of it, I'm filled up!

I know my morning shake is a "slider food" but it sustains me 3-4 hours till lunch so I'm very happy with it. The dietician has no problem with it (she says) as long as it sustains me. And it's packed with such great nutrients, it's great for me.

I have an appointment to see lap band doc tomorrow, and I usually get a fill. But I think I will pass on the fill. I have a lot of stuck episodes - can't imagine getting a fill, and getting stuck more. I'm at 6.5cc's now - in a 10cc band.

So, did you have a period within the last 10 months where you deviated from your routine and gained or plateaued for a few months? That would explain the lower weight loss?

I see people on here all the time who go on vacation or drift away from the band friendly routine and gain weight. Then they come back and restart.

tmf

No, not really. I got my band in Sept. 2011 (9 months ago) So the first 5 months were wonderful, I lost 40 lbs. Then now for the last 4 months, nothing. I am 42 (in Dec)., so maybe it's natures' way of holding on to things? LOL I don't know.

I always just see the nurse when I go for fills. But I think I'm going to ask to see the doc this time. I have not seen him since I had surgery.

i hit a plateau at 60lbs lost.......maintained for a few months and changed my eating habits just like you mentioned....i work out 5 times a week cardio and strength training and am also very active( riding my bike and walking whenever possible) none of that worked for me then a friend of mine who is a yoga instructor asked me to go to her class, the change of routine did it for me and im back on track and continuously changing my work out routine.....feel better and am seeing more definition and toning than ever before. So now i do extreme cardio 3x a week, light cardio and strength training twice a week and yoga 2x a week in the evening...hope this helps and gives you some other options....just remember never let your body get used to what your doing, muscle confussion is the way to go

I think there may be 2 problems at work here, firstly and i say this with caution as it doesnt affect everyone but some people it does, to eat that much Protein in one sitting may be way too much for your body to metabolise. The body can only do around around 25 to 30 grm of protein in one go any more and it metabolise this as glucogen and store it as sugar, not this doesnt affect everyone and some can eat loads of protein and it not affect them but some it does, especially if u have or were close to type 2 diabetes, If you follow what your nutritionist told u , its around 20 grms per meal with an odd protein snack inbetween .

Secondly not everyone metabolism fits into those numbers that have been written down for RMR and BMR there is no way i would have lost weight on that many calories a day even when i was 400lbs. I started off for 10 weeks at just 600 a day and went up to 1000 calories a day post surgery, i , similar to highland lost steadily for over a year to hit my goal weight i had 3 weeks out of all those weeks where i lost nothing other than that every single week i lost weight till i had lost 237 lbs. There are always exceptions to rules and u may be one of them, i did cycling everyday 7 days a week along with strength training and gradually as i losrt weight i just did more of the same thing, never really hit a plateau and never really stopped losing.

You maybe eating the wrong calories like too much protein too many carbs or fat or sugar or u may just be consuming too many of them, u wilol do yourself no harm at all by dropping them for a week or 2 and see how u go, we need to become our own experts, nutritionists are a great resource but like all things they sometimes arent always right :)