Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...loose, Then Tight, Loose, Then Tight?!?!?

I just had my third fill last Thursday....my surgery was Feb 28 and my first two fills took me up to 4cc in a 10cc band. I got 1cc on Thursday, and felt very little restriction til Thursday evening. Then, wow! I was painfully restricted. I considered going back in for a slight unfill, and I still might do that Monday....but I am anxious to get back to real weight loss after only losing 3-4 lbs last month. I have lost about 40 with 85 to go....tonight it seems a bit looser, since I have been able to drink pretty well. I was scared last night because I was spitting a sort of yucky saliva. Is this the "sliming" everyone talks about?? Is this just a normal reaction or should I consider an unfill?

Sounds like sliming to me. Before you go in for an unfill, try eating slower, chewing more and taking smaller bites. The learning curve is slow sometimes and I've had restriction since late March and I'm still learning. I still get stuck occasionally and I slime at times. If you can't swallow liquids then you may need a small unfill but give it a few days if it's not too uncomfortable.

tmf

Ok, I'm starting to get a little confused here. This last fill did me real good. I was very tight, almost too tight for my liking. I was definately in the green zone, maybe a Dark Green per some other posts I've read. So, I'm used to being very tight one day, and then pretty loose the next. I understand the concept of stress, Water, salt, TOM, etc. giving me added tightness. So, on 6/18 i had a scheduled fill. I canceled that because I had been pretty tight. For the past week or so, I've been pretty consistently loose so I scheduled another fill for 7/9, a small one though. Now tonight, I'm eating tuna, which NEVER bothers me, and its taken me real slow eating it. I mean real slow and I can feel myself tightening up again. Sooooo....is this normal for the green zone? Should I not go in for my fill? I really don't like to be too tight where I can't tolerate lean Proteins, such as white chicken, lean turkey, eggs, etc. When i'm that tight that its a pain to eat, i find myself turning to slider foods. I do much better with eating healthy in MY green zone, which is probably on the looser end of the green zone. So if you were going back and forth on tightness, would you get a fill or wait it out some more?

I was banded2008 3 months ago I had my 4th fill 3.5 cc and lost 15 lb in two weeks I was dehydrated and could not keep anything I went back for infill one month ago down to 2cc and gained weight no restriction. I had to go back to fill on Thursday and he filled .8 cc and I don't feel restriction . Does it take time to feel restriction? Today is Sunday and I can eat anything small portion any suggestion ? Should I go to have fill again or should I wait? It's frustrating this up and down and costing me too much please any advice will help

Wow - just by reading your post I realize there are many things I don't know

and really should since I've been banded for 2 years last month! I sort of

know but never had anyone to talk with - too dumb for learning how to use

this forum or too busy or some such reason that makes little sense now that

I'm here. You mentioned salt, stress, causing tightness - and I guess if you

do throw up it makes it get inflamed, thus tight. I also think I realize

that 'slider foods' means ice cream, pudding, etc. What else? Something

in a slippery sauce? Does it also mean crackers and chip type foods that

go down without much problem?

I'm where you are - cancelled apptment since I must be tight but then

again I think may be from throwing up inflammation, maybe even this

brutal heat wave, salt (tend to want more in heat), etc. I don't want to

be too loose either and then there is that fear of gaining. Yet I've

been at a set point for 6 months! Throwing up plenty but the ice cream

every night is what must keep on the lbs. I think this may be a common

rut for lapband folks. You sound knowledgeable. I would so appreciate

your wisdom on this subject.

Thank you!!!

This is the part I dislike about the band...I wish fills were a exact science according to your stomach size or something..this too tight too loose back and forth is driving me crazy..I just wanna pull my hair out sometimes..i've dropped 15 pounds in 2 weeks and got a slight unfill 11 days into my fill and I still think it needs to be just a little looser...well i'm self pay and just paid $250 for my last fill 2 weeks ago and don't have another $250 laying around...i'm praying once this hot weather calms down I can eat better...ugh!

Penna,

I apologize in advance for my honest but perhaps brutal appraisal of your comments.

"Yet I've been at a set point for 6 months! Throwing up plenty but the ice cream

every night is what must keep on the lbs. I think this may be a common

rut for lapband folks."

Are you serious or are you pulling our leg? Ice cream every night? Sorry, this is not a common rut for lapband folks. Most of us follow the rules and occasionally fall off the wagon but not every night. It sounds like you weren't listening during the pre op nutrition phase? I would highly recommend you sit down with a nutritionist/dietician and be very honest about what you are eating? If you've been at a plateau and you are vomitting and eating slider foods you will never succeed with the band. Vomitting is not normal and can cause slippage and erosion. Eating ice cream every night is a no brainer. You can't lose weight and eat high fat, high sugar foods. Not gonna work!

tmf

ice cream and chips/dip?

i am sure it ok to eat small amounts of these type foods

but these type foods are what caused us to get (fat/overweight/obese) anyhow

not only do we change what/how much we eat but our way of thinking.