Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Restriction Is Enough And What Are The Risks?

I have had my band for 5 months and lost 40 lbs. I am at 6 cc in a 10cc realize band. I read here often about how everyone gets restriction at different amounts of saline in their band. My question is this, does a very tight band lead to erosion or other problems? Is it safer to keep it at some mild restriction but not so tight you can barely eat? Because some people here say they like a very tight band but doesn't sound like there is much they can eat. I am not as worried about how much I can eat as I am about long term complications as a result. After my last fill to 6 cc, almost 3 months ago, I seemed to have only occasional restriction for a couple of weeks, and then didn't seem to have much feeling at all when eating. Then over the last week or so, I am feeling restriction, often after a few bites of food (not soft foods) and much more in the mornings. Usually at lunch and sometimes at dinner. But other times, especially at dinner, I don't feel any restriction "clues". I just don't understand the variability. I don't have any other problems, no feeling of reflex or any of that. Does this sound normal? I have considered getting another 1/2 cc just to get more consistency but don't know if there is more risk involved with that? Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

Wow same feelings. In at 5.5 cc in 10 band but everyone is different. I don't know whether to get fill or not because it is hit or miss on how restricted I feel. Different times of day, hour, week, month. I'm down 82 pounds but at plateau and really exercising. I know a little restriction is ok but throwing up is not what doctor wants. With all the rules, we just have to make sure we have small bites, good chewing, eat slow. These I must work on. It's tricky and I question this all the time but love my band (12/10) I chose to take the slow route with many small gradual fills. Size 24 to an almost size 12:)

weight.png

I've had my band since 3/19/12, and boy have you hit the nail on the head! I really hope folks will let you know. I am wondering too!

Skyvic, wow, thats awesome!

I think the biggest thing to remember is that the band is literally connected to living tissue. And living tissue whose main function is moving around and twisting. My restriction does change depending on the TOM, weather, stress.

Most doctors say that at restriction you may not be able to eat solids at Breakfast. If you are having trouble eating solids at Breakfast (and it is super early before work) that does'nt shock me. I have Greek yogurt with half a scoop whey isolate and 1/3 cup Kashi Go lean high Protein Cereal and some walnuts for breakfast. The Protein powder and cruncies make for a very thick mushie. I do have a cup of coffee before to loosen things up.

As the day goes by my band does get looser. I would strive for being able to eat solid Protein at lunch (3 oz) and about 1/2 cup veggies and then some fruit (couple grapes or cherries). If you can go 4.5-5 hours before being hungry you are at restriction. Then at dinner measure out your food and don't eat anymore even if you feel you are hungry. Though if you are at restriction you probably really wont be physically hungry; more of a head hunger.

Some people do keep their bands WAY to tight. Can't tell you how many times I've read "I need a fill because I can still eat bread!" I'm at restriction and can eat bread. I just choose not to. Some of this is still about will power. Thin people like to eat junk food. They choose not to.