Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moderate To Severe Stomach Pain That's Lasted All Night..

This pain has happened to me a handful of times since surgery.. it's a pretty severe "dull" pain that feels like it covers my entire abdomen region. The first time it happened was after my first stuck episode, and I told my surgeon about it but he didn't seem concerned, even though he said that it seemed strange to be so spread out. It's tough to explain, as it isn't really a cramping feeling and doesn't come and go. The only thing that seems to help is laying on my side and wrapping my arms around my belly to hold it in. Yesterday it started around the evening-time, and by the time I laid down to go to sleep it was almost enough to make me cry. I woke up this morning and the pain is still here, though it's about half as bad.

For the record, I ate chili for lunch and dinner yesterday, and didn't get stuck, however when I took my Vitamins before bed I had another bite of chili to get that awful taste out of my mouth, and that did get stuck. Haven't had anything yet this morning.

I'm a bit of a worry-wart and I'm FREAKING OUT that this could be a complication with my band. In two weeks I'll have had it for a year. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'll go to the surgeon or the hospital if absolutely necessary, but I'm leaving town for two months and it'll be a pain in the butt. Any advice/shared stories will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Please don't take my medical advice to heart since I'm in no way a medical professional but, is your gall bladder still in? The symptons you have sound like mine when I had bad gall bladder attacks. If you aren't feeling any better go to an urgent care center or Emergency Department asap!

I'm sure if you've had the band for a year you know better than me what gas pain feels like, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case you wanted to try taking an antacid or gasx to see if your pain responds. If it does, you know that it's that, and gas can feel like other things. Other than that I have no idea, but hope you see your doctor and figure out what's going on!!

I also wonder if it might be the beginning of gallbladder issues.

It sounds like it is probably Gall Bladder aggravated by the chili .A year out you have probably really put that gall bladder to work it happens to a lot of banders. Try some gas X. None of us are Drs. but Gall Bladder pain really hurts all over.

Yes. People who lose a lot of weight rapidly are at greater risk for developing gallstones. Gallstones are one of the most medically important complications of voluntary weight loss. The relationship of dieting to gallstones has only recently received attention.

One major study found that women who lost from 9 to 22 pounds (over a 2-year period) were 44 percent more likely to develop gallstones than women who did not lose weight. Women who lost more than 22 pounds were almost twice as likely to develop gallstones.

Other studies have shown that 10 to 25 percent of obese people develop gallstones while on a very-low-calorie diet. (Very-low-calorie diets are usually defined as diets containing 800 calories a day or less. The food is often in liquid form and taken for a prolonged period, typically 12 to 16 weeks.) The gallstones that developed in people on very-low-calorie diets were usually silent and did not produce any symptoms. However, about a third of the dieters who developed gallstones did have symptoms, and a proportion of these required gallbladder surgery

Ok I have the same issue, my gallbladder is good no stones or nothing. So I really think its severe gas pains. Mine only happens at night and it has happened three times since I had my surgery (3/13/12). When I talked to the Dr. about it they thought it was weird because on each occasion I had nothing to eat after 6 and still happened at bedtime which was at least 4 hours or so after I had eaten anything. When it happens I will take gas x strips and it will ease up enough for me to go back to sleep. So I don't know I am still trying to figure it out but at least now I know I am not the only one

What about your bowel motions? If you develop faecal impact thru a build up then that is extremely painful. Something to consider.

ok just wanted to update: I went to the dr. two weeks ago with my pain that I had been having at night. They decided to do an ultrasound of my gallbladder and found that I had allot of gallstones. I had it checked before surgery in March 2012 and had none but now they were definitely there. I had surgery Monday 7/30/12 to remove my gallbladder. Still recovering but no more pains like that. :)

ok just wanted to update: I went to the dr. two weeks ago with my pain that I had been having at night. They decided to do an ultrasound of my gallbladder and found that I had allot of gallstones. I had it checked before surgery in March 2012 and had none but now they were definitely there. I had surgery Monday 7/30/12 to remove my gallbladder. Still recovering but no more pains like that. :)

Wow.. thanks for updating! I had this problem again the last 3 days straight, and I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone's replies that I was never notified about! Well.. I thought maybe it was an egg allergy, and didn't eat any eggs the last two days. Yesterday I was feeling great. Today I had oatmeal for Breakfast and a cheese quesadilla for lunch, and I'm feeling awful with a persistent Migraine and all the tummy troubles. I'm brainstorming the idea of gluten intolerance now, but I'm definitely keeping gallstones in the back of my head. I'm choosing not to believe it though, because I don't have the time, patience, or money to go back into surgery! Getting frustrated.. but very thankful that it isn't a band complication. Good luck to you and your recovery!