Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes Are Loose But Scale Is Not Moving

Banded 4/17/12- 22 lbs lost (260 lbs to 238 lbs). 3rd fill today (total 4.5cc in 10cc band)

So I've been at the same weight for a few weeks. I watch what I eat and try VERY HARD to stay under 1250 calories (Net). I've been working out at least 3 times a week including weight training. I've become more active... and I am seeing changes in my body. Clothes are fitting looser and I'm able to fit into some of my smaller clothes (started a size 20/22 and now on the verge of a size 18). I can see the definition in my legs and arms- I feel thinner but can't justify it with numbers.

BUT I'm not seeing the results on the scale. I know what everyone says... Don't listen to the scale... Don't pay attention to the scale... but I'm a numbers person... that's how I understand things and how I see results... This is frustrating. I'm hoping the fill I had today will help.

The exercising and weight training is making me more hungry and I'm fighting that off. My stomach growls at me and I ignore it but it's obnoxious.

Has anyone experienced this where they are seeing physical results but no results on the scale? And if so, when did you start to see the results on the scale? Is it something where the scale finally catches up to you one day?

I know this probably is not the answer you would like but I think you need to up your exercise. I am a slow loser despite exercising 7 days a week for 1.5-2.5 hours. I try to mix it up walking in the morning and swimming/water aerobics in the evening.

That's what they refer to as a "non-scale victory" , or "NSV". Good job! It can be frustrating that the scale isn't moving when you really feel like it should be, but you're clothes are looser!

Your body is going through so many changes. I find that after I start something new, like advancing my diet (I'm five weeks post-op) my body seems to hold onto EVERYTHING I put in it. I gained 4 lbs in 2 days when I went to soft/moist food last week! About 5 days in, I was back to my lowest and moving down but I almost had a freak-out moment when I saw the scale going up when I was barely eating anything!

Hang in there. As frustrating as it is, see it as a marathon not a sprint.

@ Honk.

Let me clarify. I'm working out 3-5 days a week but at minimum I try and get in 3 days.

Last week, I didn't work out at all and ate horribly (according to my standards) due to a sales meeting and I lost 2 lbs... so I don't understand why I'm not losing weight on the scale when I do work hard and then when I stop, I lose weight... So confusing.

I understand it's not a sprint... When I've lost weight in the past, the lbs seemed to come off faster with less input...

If you are a numbers person why not use a measuring tape. Your body is probably changing shape so if you can see the decrease in inches even if not in pounds then that should help you to stay motivated and not despondent.

just a thought you might be losing fat at the same time as you are gaining muscle(the weight training)muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space(dense fibers) so you will look slimmer but the scale might not show it just a thought. If you need verification(more than looser clothing) start taping different areas of you body every week (a month is even better)

Prior to your surgery, if you have been mostly sedentary, you are most likely building some muscle, even while loosing some weight, which the scale would not reflect. Muscle weighs more than fat, and also requires more calories to maintain. It's a trade-off.

The scale will move; you may even be at a weight loss plateau, which may take a few days to a few weeks to get beyond. Other important information to know is that not eating enough calories tends to slow metabolism down, as the body may realize that the previous amount of energy it had to run on is not available, and it goes into a hibernation mode, and burns less calories.

Weight loss can also be slowed if you are not getting enough Protein.

This can be frustrating, but remaining compliant with the diet, increasing your exercise, if that is possible will all help to get the scale moving eventually.

I have had to develop patience on this journey...and only take a day at a time!

Best wishes...

I know this probably is not the answer you would like but I think you need to up your exercise. I am a slow loser despite exercising 7 days a week for 1.5-2.5 hours. I try to mix it up walking in the morning and swimming/water aerobics in the evening.

Honk, you are such an exercise freak!

I like it!

tmf

Ashleigh,

Every comment is right on. If you want to see a scale victory, cut out Pasta and flour products of all kinds, cut back on fruit, absolutely no sugar or sugar sweetened products and limit your intake of dairy products. Back off of ingredients like soy sauce. Watch the sodium intake. No need to avoid it entirely but try to cut your salt intake by 25%. No processed cereals. oatmeal in small quantities.

Obviously I'm trying to direct you towards lower carb food choices. No need to go all Atkins on us but if you are consuming a lot of the products I mentioned, you will retain Water and Water equals weight.

You can eat a fat free chinese meal with lots of veggies but throw a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce on it and you've just gained 2 lbs(water of course). It's hard to avoid salt when we're giving up our favorite foods so it's easy to add salt to make some foods more palateable. Don't.

tmf

Don't forget about the inches. They are non scale victories but just as important.

Have you tried adding a Protein drink or such after your workouts?

I am guessing maybe (I hate to say this because I don't really know what you're doing and not doing) you are not eating enough and so your body is holding on for dear life. You said you ate bad last week, but lost weight. How many more calories do you think you ate? To test the theory, I would add in a healthy 100-150 calorie snack and see what it did over the course of a week or two.

I understand exactly what you mean! I go for my doctor visit tomorrow and had planned to discuss this very thing. I currently exercise 6 days a week walking/run/jog for 45-60 min. I vary the courses to get a difference in hills, flats, etc. On three of those days, in addition to my walk/jog, I workout with a personal trainer doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 of strength training. I keep to the 1000-1200 calorie count but my loss is very slow on the scale. My surgery was on March 15, and I had my first ( and only) fill on April 26. Since the April date I have only lost 7.5 lbs; however, the inches are definitely coming off and my clothing sizes have dropped. I am just impatient for my scale to catch up!

I understand exactly what you mean! I go for my doctor visit tomorrow and had planned to discuss this very thing. I currently exercise 6 days a week walking/run/jog for 45-60 min. I vary the courses to get a difference in hills' date=' flats, etc. On three of those days, in addition to my walk/jog, I workout with a personal trainer doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 of strength training. I keep to the 1000-1200 calorie count but my loss is very slow on the scale. My surgery was on March 15, and I had my first ( and only) fill on April 26. Since the April date I have only lost 7.5 lbs; however, the inches are definitely coming off and my clothing sizes have dropped. I am just impatient for my scale to catch up![/quote']

Thank you for your message. I'm doing everything right and I feel like you. I just need to be patient and not worry about it. But it's so hard not to worry when I spent the money personally and the last thing I want to do is get discouraged.

I understand exactly what you mean! I go for my doctor visit tomorrow and had planned to discuss this very thing. I currently exercise 6 days a week walking/run/jog for 45-60 min. I vary the courses to get a difference in hills, flats, etc. On three of those days, in addition to my walk/jog, I workout with a personal trainer doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 of strength training. I keep to the 1000-1200 calorie count but my loss is very slow on the scale. My surgery was on March 15, and I had my first ( and only) fill on April 26. Since the April date I have only lost 7.5 lbs; however, the inches are definitely coming off and my clothing sizes have dropped. I am just impatient for my scale to catch up!

You know, you're an average to good loser. You're losing about 4 lbs a month. But it sounds like you may have lost more than 7.5 lbs, maybe closer to 10 or more if you count the the muscle you must be adding. It doesn't show since it's replacing fat and since muscle has less density, your clothes fit better.

Congrats, you are doing it right and at some point the scale will move slightly more, unless you're trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger ;)

tmf

Congratulations in ur non scale victory (NSV) !! I know it's hard but the numbers are obviously changing if ur fitting smaller clothes.maybe try measuring your arms thighs and hips and waist line watch those numbers for a while cuz they are going down and I think you should Celebrate that !!