Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Soda Erode The Band?

I've heard drinking causes the LAPBAND to erode does anyone know if this is true or just a myth? If its true, where can I find factual information about this? I tend to sometimes choke in the middle of the night if I lay flat & in the morning sometimes I wake up with a liquid that comes up & it has a bad after taste. Anyone else have any of these issues? If so, what do I do to remedy any or all of them.

That is GERD, coused by acid reflux. You might be too tight or eating too close to going to bed.

No soda will not erode the band. What you eat and drink does not even come in contact with it. What can happen is ulcer formation in that area or any other area of the gut.

As far as your reflux at night I would suggest to stop eating about 3 to 4 hours before bed. Drink only Water before bed.

No, it can't erode the band because it never actually touches the band. However, it CAN cause slips. Here is portion of a study done on band slips:

Risk factors or causes of lap band slippage include surgical technique, model of the lapband used, early consumption of solid foods, early inflation or filling of the band, consumption of carbonated or sparkling beverages, and frequent vomiting,

When I had my surgery, my roommate in the hospital was there to have her band replaced. Why? Because she drank soda and it resulted in a slip- her stomach actually prolapsed her stomach through her band. She also gained 40 pounds.

It's definitely not worth the risk.

I think the soda causing slips is a myth as well. But if that particular myth makes people stick to eating healthier then it can't be bad.

I think the soda causing slips is a myth as well. But if that particular myth makes people stick to eating healthier then it can't be bad.

I agree. I think when doctors don't know what has caused something they start looking for excuses.

"We don't know why your band slipped, but since you stated you drank sodas we will blame that."

I also think I could find it "somewhere" on the internet to back up just about any claim made about lap bands. Doctors are still learning about the band and I think they are a long way from being experts. I, and probably you, have read far too many post on this site with peoples doctors telling them completely different things from another's doctor. Bottom line is there are still a lot of unknowns.

For me, the bubbles in soda sometimes irritate, but I never heard of them eroding the band.

Actually, it's not a myth. It's clinically proven. It was found during a study of 4138 Lap-Band patients.:

A Clinical Study

A clinical study was done in Germany to review complications following lap band surgery. Thirty-five hospitals were involved in the study, with 4138 patients that underwent gastric banding over a five-year period. Lap Band long-term complications were described in 8.6% of all patients. The most common complications included: pouch dilation or enlargement (5.0%), lap band slippage (2.6%), and Lapband migration or erosion (1.0%). (Stroh,C Manger, T “Complications after adjustable gastric banding”, Chirurg, 2006, Vol 77,pag 244-250)

What is Lap Band Slippage?

One of the long-term complications of lap band surgery is called“Lapband slippage” and can be defined as “when the Lapband and the stomach pouch are both prolapsed.” This means that the lap band has shifted position and the enlarged stomach pouch has also shifted or twisted so that food does not go through thelapband into the rest of the stomach. This may result in pain, discomfort, decreased appetite and inability to eat or drink, and vomiting. Lapband Slippage does not happen immediately but may take several months to develop.

Lap Band Slippage generally develops in a progressive manner. As food intake is increased, the stomach begins to stretch and grow and the patient may stop losing weight or start to regain weight. At this point, patients may only exhibit an enlarged stomach Lap band pouch. This can be medically treated by deflating the lap band to release pressure and slow the growth of the pouch (successful in 70% of cases, or surgical treatment can be considered). However, if the enlarged lapband pouch continues to grow, the lapband progressively rotates until both the lap band and the enlarged pouch become prolapsed, resulting in Lap bandslippage. This is followed by functional stenosis (narrowing) of the stomach.

Lapband Slippage Symptoms typically include progressively worsening reflux, vomiting and epigastric complaints, which may increase to sudden near-total dysphagia (inability to swallow or eat anything, including saliva).

Risk factors or causes of lap band slippage include surgical technique, model of the lapband used, early consumption of solid foods, early inflation or filling of the band, consumption of carbonated or sparkling beverages, and frequent vomiting.

Treatment for lap band slippage requires surgical intervention. Thelapband must be repositioned or removed, based on the operative findings and condition of the stomach pouch. If appropriate, the surgeon and patient may elect to choose another type of bariatric procedure such as a Gastric Sleeve.

How Do I Prevent Lap Band Slippage?

In order to decrease the risk of developing lap band slippage, it is important to follow the recommended diet following surgery and to avoid introducing solid foods too early. In addition, the fills should not be started before 6 weeks post-operatively and these Lap band fills should be very gradual. We also recommend that fills should be done under fluoroscopy, even if you are asymptomatic (no symptoms of lap band slippage), to be able to monitor the position of the lapband, and the size of the stomach pouch and condition of the esophagus. This will allow for early diagnosis of an enlarged stomach pouch or possible lap band slippage.

Susana González, MD

This doesn't prove a thing.

This doesn't prove a thing.

Yes, it does.

It's a cited research study, all the data to back it up is right there. It states very cearly 8.6% of patients showed complications and cited carbonation as a risk factor in the slippage.

This isn't some opinion, it's results for a study of over 4000 Lap-Band patients.

Keep in mind when we hear "lapband erosion" it is not the actual band that "erodes". No matter the cause, it is the actual stomach tissue that erodes.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Although most surgeons don't want you to drink soda for the period following surgery a lot of them will tell you that after that if you can tolerate it without discomfort it is fine in moderation.If you drink excessive amounts then yes it probably could cause some issue but then too much Water can kill you too.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Although most surgeons don't want you to drink soda for the period following surgery a lot of them will tell you that after that if you can tolerate it without discomfort it is fine in moderation.If you drink excessive amounts then yes it probably could cause some issue but then too much Water can kill you too.

You can disagree all you like, but again, it's not a matter of opinion. This isn't some blog or random thoughts on the band. It's the results of clinical study and a very large one at that, and the results show that carbonation was a risk factor in 8.6% patients who had complications.

It was 1 study. It states that carbonation was a risk factor it does not say that carbonation caused the slip. It is another 1 of those things that they have not yet proven and some believe it is so, so it is safer to err on the side of caution.

There are many unknowns e.g they still haven't yet agreed on exactly how the band works .

I do not want to get into an argument so lets both leave it at that.

For people that are not sure what to believe the best advice is to go with what your surgeon advises. If you trust him/her enough to operate on you then you should be able to trust the rest of the advice that he gives you. That is what I have done.

If I ever get a slip or erosion it won't be from drinking carbonated stuff. It causes discomfort, so I don't touch the stuff. :) There are plenty of other things out there to drink.