Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We went out to dinner tonight. I think I did very well. I had mini-portabella mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese (off the appetizer menu) and smashed sweet potatoes. I was full but didn't feel like I had over eaten. I know going out can be tricky.

Congrats on eating right! It's hard to resist some of the bad/yummies when you go out. What I've been doing on my gung-ho pre/pre-op diet is figuring out where we are going to eat and seeing if the place has a nutrition guide online. That way I can see what the cal, fat, carb, damage will be before ever going. If I have a plan of attack I will stick with through the temptation of melty cheese and garlic bread!

Sandy congrats on going out! Is your band filled yet? I haven't gone out to dinner yet, but the time will come. Did it take you longer to eat? For some reason I don't take 45 min. eating, like I was told we are supposed to. I can eat pretty normally. I a not filled yet though, just banded 2 weeks ago.

No, Libelly, I have not had a fill yet. I have only had my band for 10 days. The book they told me to read says I should eat for 20 minutes - 20 bites, 20 minutes per bit, equals 20 minutes - ha ha! I hope I don't take 45 minutes because when August rolls around I will be a teacher again and 45 minute lunches would be a dream come true. Between talking, etc., it took me about 30 minutes.

The plate size wasn't bad because I ordered from the appetizer menu so the plate was small. Then I had a side order of mashed sweet potatoes which came in a small bowl.

The only thing I didn't do well on was drinking tea during my meal. I think when I have a fill, I am suppose to not drink liquids when eating so that it takes a bit longer to push the food through the band. But for the first time, it wasn't bad.

Let me know how everyone else does.

Even with no fills you should not be drinking while eating. I do drink right up to my first bite but then wait an hour before drinking again.

Most doctors say you should take no more than 30 minutes to eat a meal. The longer you take the more time food has to move through the band and you will be able to eat more.

When I eat out I literally seperate the food into two halves (I find the healthier your food options the smaller the portions). I eat half and then ask for a to go container.

I know I am not suppose to drink while eating but luckily I have not had a fill yet.

I know I am not suppose to drink while eating but luckily I have not had a fill yet.

I would just nip that habit right away, regardless of if you've had a fill or not. It is possible that your pouch is working ever so slightly but you are washing the food down. I was told after I was off the post-OP liquid diet, i needed to not drink with meals.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches