Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad, Negative Attitude

So I'm only 5 days out and I'm frustrated that I suck. Some of you may have seen posts from me prior about how horrible I'm doing but I guess I need to vent. If I could stand being hungry and drinking Protein Shakes constantly I would have lost weight long ago with out the surgery. I had the surgery because I need the restriction to force myself to eat smaller portions. Now I feel even worse about myself because I went to the extreme to have surgery and I'm still failing.

I admire everyone that is doing so well and not hungry. But I am hungry constantly and already messing up the diet! 3 more weeks till my first fill!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

You are not failing. The surgery will not have made a major impact on your hunger at this point. The surgery is just the first part of a process. The easiest way to stick to the diet at this point is to remember what you just went through and why and also remember that it is not like previous diets, it has an end. You won't be on liquids for ever.

At this stage sticking to the type of foods you have been told to eat is more important than focussing on losing weight. So if you are hungry feel free to eat/drink more of the foods that are allowed as per your Dr but do not be tempted to eat foods that you should not be eating for a couple of weeks. You need to let the band heal into place properly and eating ahead of your diet can affect that.

What elcee said. You are on liquids now because your surgeon doesn't want your stomach to grind on food. Your band is stitched into place and those stitches need time to heal without your stomach trying to grind up food for digestion. Liquids go right through, making it easing on your healing stomach. Meaning you don't get any satisfaction feeling from what you are consuming.

But you really do what the band to heal properly into place. Protein shakes are not forever. My surgeon doesn't want me drinking them. He wants me eating my calories. Get yourself healed up, then you'll be able to eat real foods in smaller quantities.

for what it's worth, I feel the same way. only, it's getting harder to eat fast or a lot or big pieces... this isn't a "diet to mess up" just like the past, this is something that will restrict you from being able to binge... give it time. I'm trying to give it time. it's really hard. maybe the hardest thing we've ever done... I mean, I'm a food addict, so I must be insane to do something that takes away my fix...

for what it's worth, I feel the same way. only, it's getting harder to eat fast or a lot or big pieces... this isn't a "diet to mess up" just like the past, this is something that will restrict you from being able to binge... give it time. I'm trying to give it time. it's really hard. maybe the hardest thing we've ever done... I mean, I'm a food addict, so I must be insane to do something that takes away my fix...

Well said Sasha.....

Sara you and I are band twins.. I was banded on 5/18 too 5 days ago. I am struggling tonight. Made dinner for my family taco salads... They smelled so good. I was dying to just put one bite in my mouth, just one, but the shear fear of getting stuck or putting my health in further jeopardy kept me from doing it. I get to start mushies tomorrow. I have talked myself out of pureeing Soup, potatoes or oatmeal all day! I know some get to eat mushies sooner but my Dr says one week so I might even be off by saying tomorrow...It is so tough and the one thing we all have to remember is we wouldn't need a lap band or surgery if we weren't addicted to food and had the ability to control our portions. Food has been my comfort when I was stressed, my friend when I was lonely and certainly my confidence when I felt I had none. How are you messing up? Don't risk complications by eating things you shouldn't be. You have made it this far I know you can do it! I had my hubby go to our favorite Chinese place today and he got me hot and sour Soup. We strained it so all I have is the broth left. It is heaven. I would much rather have had their taco salad but I know that will come when I am healed. Are you drinking a lot of Water? I hope we can help you in some way your my band twin and I know we can do this together!!!

Sara, I think I can speak for most of us and say that most bandsters were enormously hungry after surgery. Like the others say, it's important for you to heal at this point so don't eat ineligible foods at this point. You may get away with it in a month or two but now is not the time.

Don't beat yourself up over falling off the wagon though. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted two weeks out(very lenient doc) and didn't put on any weight and didn't lose any either. I figured I'm in bandster hell and I didn't have this surgery just to go on another diet but fortunately the little restriction I was getting allowed me to eat less.

tmf

Did your doctor tell you surgery itself would help you with hunger? If so they lied to you. First the band does not stop you from being hungry. If I go more than 6 hours without eating I get hungry. It took me 6 months to get restriction. This will be a will power diet for a while.

I admire those of you who have families to cook for and stick to your plan. I am single so i can put all my energy into myself. I agree with everyone else. Itmisnhard to change our mindset, but it's a great time to start. I had to realize that fear of failing is exactly what made me fail in the past. But then I also learned to look at my past failures differently. Failing would mean never having the courage to keep trying. Nobody that has chosen surgery is a failure becasue this sure takes a lot of courage. You could have just given up and said I'll just be fat. The fact that you are still trying makes you an overcomes, not a failure. I am 10 days post op and suffered from a little buyers remorse the days I felt so bad. But I'm just reminding myself why I did this. This phase is a healing diet. liquids are not going to fill you up and get rid of hunger, but will allow your body to heal. Think of it like that and try to increase your protien if you have not done so. Like someone else said, use this time to eat more of the things the doc said yo can have. Like I have had more Popsicles than I can count! I would never eat all that sugar normally, but right now I'm concentrating on healing and there is no way I can over eat becasue my body just can't stand it. Good luck to you!

Please don't feel frustrated. This time is for recovery not weight loss. Be careful with your band and loving with your stomach its gone through a lot lately. Having the band put in does not mean you will have restriction. If this was true why there be fills at all? I lost 16 lbs after surgery and then I didn't have any restriction at all, and could eat anything and more than I wanted. Please be patient and wait till get some fills.

Sara, I agree with what everyone else has told you. What a great place here at LBT ..... great support.

It sounds like you have entered "Bandster Hell" a little earlier than I did. Bandster hell can mess with your emotions as well. You have to "diet" through that stage, but it was the last time I ever had to diet.

Keep your eye on the prize and follow the rules. :) A year from now you will be posting how skinny you are!