Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some old-fashioned support again!!

Things have been very slow since the beginning of January and I am getting bummed:cry . I don't know why....well, maybe I do....I have been munching on petezels, rice cakes, chex mix....too much, but still not huge amounts of the stuff. I try to stick to the actual serving size.

I have good resriction, can't seem to stick with any execise program, thinking about food more again.....feeling discouraged.

I know we all hit plateaus and perhaps that is what is happening, but it's still discouraging....

Crap Margo! you've lost more than 60 pounds in 6 months!!!!!! Crap! Or should I say, Woot! Wait just a second Missy... YOU LOST 60 POUNDS IN WHAT??? 4 MONTHS???? Ok, so you've lost 6 pounds in 2 months, but you are STILL LOSING

Okay, I fell like I can't really comment on losing weight, and why people don't lose for a while. I really can only go from what other people tell me. But I would expect you to be on a plateau, 'cause your body's probably going AHHHHHH!!!!! You have to give it time to re-arrange, re-pack and re-group.

You have done a marvolous job,

Oh, Vines, I know....I really can't complain....I guess I am just getting scared. You know, the "what if this is it" kind of mentality. It's dumb, I know I will hit my goal. Just lacking some confidence right now. Does this make sense?

Hi Margo,

Congratulations on your great weight loss! I wanted to mention, since you said exercise is a problem, that I heard awhile back that walking more steps throughout the day can be as effective as working out for the same amount of time. For example, even parking as far away from the store/house/job as possible can add the equivilent of 20 minutes of exercise per day! You can get a pedimeter that will count your steps and calories burned. This way, you don't have to have an exercise routine, but rather, the cumulative effect will give you benefits. So it's kind of like "tricking" your body into exercise without feeling like you're exercising. Other suggestions in this article I read included taking the stairs instead of the elevator, adding a few blocks to walking the dog, walking over to talk to a co-worker instead of sending email, walking the kids to school, walking up and down every isle of the grocery store, and walking to talk to neighbors instead of calling.

I guess I am just getting scared. You know, the "what if this is it" kind of mentality.
But you are still losing you silly duck. I know that many Rabbits start to worry once their weight loss slows to "reasonable" or even "plateau." Well, maybe worry isn't strong enough, ya'll turn to down right panic, even though you are still losing.

I know that you got used to a certian weight loss rate. You got used to the weight just melting off your body, and you came to expect that weight loss rate to be "normal" because for you, it was.

I haven't heard of any Rabbits converting to Turtles, not a single rabbit pops into my head that fits this discription. I know that sometimes a plateau can last for a few months while the body gets back to a state of equilibrium. I know that some people have long plateaus because they need time emotionally to catch up with the changes phsycially.

Hi Margo! I'll bet you a nickel, with that kind of weight loss, that your body is taking some time to adjust, to shrink into its new weight. I know its hard to endure, and a little scary, like you said, but it's all gonna be okay. Weight loss is not an even thing. Something that might help you is to know that rice cakes are pretty high on the glycemic index...that is, they convert to sugar pretty fast...maybe substitute snacking on something that releases its sugar a little slower? Not picking you apart...just looking for a little tweak to help you out. That sais, you are doing fantastic, and try not to get scared...you are doing great and you'll keep doing great! Cindy

I am scared too Margo, when I had to wait 4 months for my first fill, I started getting really depressed and started to give into my old eating ways again. I can't seem to shake this feeling and I'm also picking inbetween meals....sigh.

Hang in there, we'll both get the hang of this :eek:

:eek:

Dang.. I know exactly how you feel Margo. Every day I wake up and feel that fear in the pit of my stomach and the nasty little voice in my head whispers, "What if you've done all you're going to do? You know you usually get about this far and it all falls apart. What if this band isn't the hope you thought it was. What if you get FAT again!?" I just want to cover my ears and do the old "la la la" thing. Unfortunately, that doesn't help drown out all the voices on the inside, does it?

I try to repeat these things to myself to override the negative thoughts:

1. This is a long term goal - what I weigh today doesn't matter!

2. I know I am eating right, the weight WILL come off - what I weigh today doesn't matter!

3. As long as I don't give up, I will succeed - so what I weigh today doesn't matter.. unless I have given up.

Don't give up and try to fight the discouragement. It's only the negative self talk that has brought us down before. You -are- doing the right things. Don't try to over think every bite, every exercise etc. Just walk a little each day, as you feel more energetic, you'll want to exercise more.

Try to be active doing things that achieve non weight loss related goals, even small personal ones. I think we get so obsessed with this band and the weight loss that we forget there are other things around us that we can be working on while we let our new healthy eating lifestyles become part of us, rather than everything we are. Make sense? Wouldn't it be great to feel so relaxed about your new food lifestyle that you forgot to weigh for three weeks or more? Think of the huge surprise you'd have when you stepped on that scale! That's when we will really be free!

Margo -- Keep up the good work! Try not to let those self doubting devils get to you-- your #s look great! Plateaus are frustrating when you are working hard, but it's all part of it! I recently didn't loose a pound for about 6 weeks and I have been eating right and working out (hard) at the gym 4X week. All of a sudden this week, 2 more pounds off with no further change. It is OK to eat rice cakes and chex mix in moderation -- I think all of us bandsters are so programmed to be 100% focused on our weight loss and nutrition 100% of the time, we get the guilts if we eat anything aside from our PROTEIN! Everything happens in stages and remember if you're not losing pounds, you might be losing inches! Cut yourself some slack -- you're doing great!

I didn't want to talk about fear of not losing weight Margo. I wanted you to focus on the amazing job you have done so far. More a case of "wow, I have done really well so far, haven't I!" If you must listen to that fear of not losing weight, simply do that, listen to it, but then tell the fear, "thank you for your input, I'll take it under advisement" and then just ignore it. Let it think it's been heard, but don't actually pay it any mind.

Okay repeat that after me: "wow, I have done really well so far, haven't I!"

Write it on a sticky note, and post it on your car dash. Write it in red lipstick on your bathroom mirror, a grease pencil on your fridge door, sticky notes on the insides of your cupboards.

Thank you everyone....I truly don't know what I would do without your support!!

I feel better already since I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and said "wow, look how well I have done so far" (thanks, Vines).

Tomorrow morning I will start my day with positive thoughts, some exercise and a pat on the back for my weight loss so far:D

Hey Margo!! You are doing great! We have had this discussion about the plateaus. you know I go from being totally discouraged from not losing anything to a huge sigh of relief when I do lose.... back to that discouraging place, back and forth, Over and over, I am like a freak show! But the moral of the story is, it comes.... just really really slow sometimes. Try not to let it get to you too much. Look at where your at now and where you have been, then you can see it clearer. And think of how you feel now, that kind of stuff you cant dismiss so easily. Its the stinking scale, they are evil. Hang in there, you ARE kicking butt! See you this week at the meeting?

Hey, j.s.! Thanks so much for the words of encouragement...you are a good friend and lap band buddy.

I hope to be at the support meeting, but it depends since my mom has been having some health problems lately. I will let you know, j.s.

Margo, I know exactly what your thinking, Although you were banded 3 months after I was, we have gone thru the same, stand still. I didn;t even think about a platu at the time because the 60 lbs went fast and easy for the most part. I did the switch from the scale to the measurements for encouragemtn sake, and only the scale when I weigh in with Dr. H. that has mad the victories more real. I list the NSV's and the inches total lost about once a month WOW that is encouragement. TRY IT!

it has amazed me how the scale wont move, but the inches like 7 on month and no pounds, hell, that went from tight clothes to loose. and that is what matters the size not the scale and the deap breath and energy not the scale.

Keep your head high, DAMN WOMAN youve lost a small child BE PROUD!!!