Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op...Food question

I'm only 4 days post-op and have just graduated from Clear liquids to being able to have cream Soups. I had some broccoli & cheese Soup tonight, just the creamy part and got about 1/4 cup down. It's the most I've eaten since before surgery. I can't stomach the broth anymore and all the sugar-free Jello or popsicles that I tried to eat made me queasy. I hadn't had anything to eat since yesterday morning, as I'm not feeling hungry and the broth just doesn't taste good. Is this normal? I know I should be eating, but I just can't bring myself to eat the broth..the only thing that didn't make me queasy.

I'm starting to crave Peanut Butter, and cheese...not together, but am wondering what the peanut butter is considered. It's listed on my Protein list, but not when I can have it. I think the cheese I can have after 8 days or so. :)

I didn't really feel anything when I was eating the soup tonight, but stopped on my own as I was scared to eat too much. I'm terrified of throwing up or the PB's ya'll describe. Would I be able to blend up the rest of the soup, with the chunkies in it...and eat it? It'll probably be my lunch tomorrow. I have the Isopure Protein shakes, but haven't started drinking those yet.

Hi KSBandster -

Potato Soup blended in the blender saved my life during post op eating. I put salt and pepper in it and it was like eating food again --- not just broth. I had never been so happy to move past the broth stage even though I was still on liquids. I tried Peanut Butter during the mushy stage, but it didn't work so well for me. Since then I've had a piece of peanut butter wheat toast - just a little bit of peanut butter though and it did ok. However, I don't know if peanut butter qualifies for liquid. Maybe someone here will though. Congrats on your banding!

I did not have much of an appetite in the first week after surgery. When I began getting hungry, though, I started with pea Soup (no bacon or anything in it) and I still will have that for dinner. My surgeon had pretty strict guidelines so at 4 days, I wasn't supposed to be eating creamed anything. Maybe you're just not hungry. Nothing wrong with that! :biggrin1: Oh, Protein shakes!! That's what I meant to say. That is about all I could do in the first week.

Best wishes to you!

Kelli

I am on mushies for another week and I have been enjoying cream of chicken Soup blended with a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 c milk and a dollop of lite sour cream. I blend it all up and it's a few meals at a time for me. Just today I graduated to mashing saltines in it too and that is yummy.

Peanut Butter (smooth) is on my mushies list. I took a banana and a tbsp of peanut butter and blended them. It was really good.

Thanks for all the good ideas! I made potato Soup tonight for the family and just blended some for me. It was great!! They were happy because it was the first time I'd cooked since surgery.

My doc's instructions say we can start mushies on day 8; cottage cheese, eggs, thin deli sliced chicken & turkey, mashed potatoes & oatmeal to name a few. I can also have baked fish & tuna at this time. So I think I'll be ok. I set aside enough blended potato soup for tomorrow's lunch and dinner. I am just so happy to eat something that tastes like food.

I love the Peanut Butter & banana idea! Bananas aren't on my list until day 23, but I seem to be tolerating things ok...so I may try it a little earlier, but not much! My hubby got worried because I wasn't eating anything...he said something was better than nothing and was encouraging me to try some other stuff. But I'm trying to stick semi-close to the guidelines.

I have a family birthday party coming up for my kids in about 2 weeks and they are wanting Mexican food. I've already started planning out what I can eat by then without being very obvious to everyone. My mom is still under the impression that as soon as I lose the weight, I need to have the band removed. My hubby & I both have repeatedly explained to her that it doesn't work that way, but she just shakes her head. I know it's going to be a point of argument with her for lots of time to come.

Thanks again ladies!

Oh, I'm so glad you tried the potato soup! I thought that was just about the best thing I'd ever eaten when I was where you are! I did the mexican food thing out and ate guacamole and half of a cheese enchilada made with a corn tortilla. I chewed to the point of mush. Have to say that it gave the potato Soup a run for the money. Good luck at the bday party!

I actually had a horrid craving for Peanut Butter about 7 days post-op, so I did two things

1) I took just a small bit of creamy Peanut Butter on a spoon (2 tsp or so) and licked on it like a lollypop only taking a bit on my tongue at a time and would sip on warm milk to make sure it didn't get stuck.

2) Mixed peanut butter, chocolate protien powder (I like Atkins the best) and milk in the blender....voila liquid peanut butter cup!!!

Skye