Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Some Help

I was banded in July, having been losing oK. Had my 2nd fill about 8 weeks ago. I have to drink slow, eat very slow and have pain at every couple of meals in the last 2 weeks-no real PB's. I am having some reflux. (or what I think is reflux.) I ended up in the emergeny room, thought there was something wrong with my heart. They ran ekg's and monitors. They decided it was something gastro-intestinal. I guess my question is..am I too tight or am I eating too much, will the reflux go away or am I looking for trouble, do I need a slight unfill? How do I know if the band is too tight? I cannot eat or even drink until I am up for about an hour. I feel like I need to clear my throat.Then I can eat some, lunch is OK (small amount)but at dinner I am tight again, have to struggle to get, even a small, portion in. I can eat ice cream-slowly -with no problems. Any responses would be appreciated.

I have a 4.occ band. My first fill was 1.6 and the second added another 1.0, for a total of 2.6. I guess I am kind of scared about the indigestion. I think that you are right in that the fill didn't really kick in until a few weeks later.

Maybe You Are Right. I Eat Sometimes When The Clock Says To Eat. I Thought Or Think It Was Reflux Because It Feels Like The Food/liquid Is Coming Back Up. Maybe I Am Still Full Form The Previos Meal. Thank You For Your Input.

Jack,

Not meaning to hijack here, but I wanted to thank you (and many others!) for your thorough explanations of things. I am newly banded, no fills yet, but I read your posts totally absorbing the valuable information you share. I know everyone's time is important and I just wanted to say thank you!

Kelli

Replying to first message, yes you are probably filled too full. Get a slight adjustment. Make sure you are on a good stool softener regimen. Your PCP can prescribe a liquid that works wonders on regulating you and won't mean trying to take pills. Avoid getting into using stimulants to have a BM. Believe me I got seriously backed up to put it nicely and it was not pleasant. It can cause some chest and stabbing back pain. I also want to make you aware of somethings that others may not be...

Yes you want to feel full after but never want to get to where you are refluxing the food. It means you are eating too much, the wrong things, or your band is too full. I want to make sure you are aware that if you allow refluxing even without vomitting your esphogus can become stretched. At first it is like it is lazy and not propelling things down properly if you do this too long you could be lucky and just have to take a break from fills so it gets it's tone back. The real problem is when you let it get bad enough that it no longer propells and relies totally on gravity. Then eventually the band doesn't work because the esphogus will stretch and act as a part of your stomach pocket. The problems can get worse from there but your new and just need to be aware of some basic complications. Also don't eat my the hour or emotions, eat by your body. If you don't feel hungry and you are getting enough Protein and necessary nutrients why take in the extra calories. You do need to make sure you are chewing properly and learning what foods you do not tolerate. I had to stop red meat and bread. I now don't have my band but I still don't enjoy red meat now or sandwichs. I guess pshycologically I just still have set in my mind they aren't worth the trouble! I can't wait to get rebanded. There is still a lot I have to learn about things after 3 years of having a band so take in information from who you can get it from and then find out what works for you.

Best of Luck

April

mid-band 10/02

removal 09/05

Ok now this is really starting to bother me. I am having trouble getting my shake down. I have a burning in my throat and feel full after 2 sips. I had a small amount of warm-no caffine tea about 45 minutes ago, hoping that it would sooth my "passage way" I think I need to call my doctor and get a little bit taken out. I cannot keep going on like this.

Yes call the Dr. and get it resolved, you may need a tad bit of an unfill. Will we see you at the support group this Wednesday Night?

I think you are too tight, and need an unfill.

For me the key was "I can eat some ice cream -- slowly." Dead give away there.

Being too tight is miserable, and you don't deserve to be miserable. Make sure you make that appointment first thing in the morning Monday. (hugs)

I never had burning but do you take prevacid or anything like that for your stomach, esphogus? I was told by my doctor who banded me thzt all banded patients should be on something like that for life to avoid possible irritation, etc.

Best of luck

April

Alexra-I will be there. Should be fun.

I am going to call the Dr. in the morning. It just confuses me. Sometimes it's OK, not good, just OK and other times it is miserable. I think a little unfill will do the trick.