Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Do W/ My Pets?

Hi everyone! I have a dog and 2 cats. My surgery is in 2 weeks. Someone on this board suggested I might want to board my dog (she's 8 months old and very rambunctious). So, I agree I will board the dog for a few days while I recover. Cats should be fine, right? They're pretty independent unless they want to cuddle. Should I have my dad take my cats for a few days while I recover or keep them with me?

Your cats will be fine. I would think that your dog would be too. Animals can sense when you aren't feeling well. When I had my gall bladder out in February, my dog laid by my feet like my little protector for 3 days and he's usually pretty wild.

I have 3 chihuahua's and as small as they are the only thing I had to keep them off my band site, even today they cannot sit where my pouch is cause it hurts. Not sure you really need to board the dog but your call of course

Thanks Lucy Lover! Maybe i won't board the dog and it will give me a reason to get out and walk her...I keep hearing that walking is a big help with gas pain.

I have 3 chihuahua's and as small as they are the only thing I had to keep them off my band site' date=' even today they cannot sit where my pouch is cause it hurts. Not sure you really need to board the dog but your call of course[/quote']

I have a chihuahua too. He actually jumped on my tummy as soon as i got home from hospital. It hurt so bad i was screaming and my mom had to get him off of me. Lol! Poor guy! He is a cuddler so I think he was confused when I wanted him nowhere near me for a few days. He quickly adjusted after some firm "No's". He has now been laying in his doggy bed or been laying next to me calmly.

Have a friend spend the night if possible or pop in for a few days that can feed your dog and keep him company.

Thanks Lucy Lover! Maybe i won't board the dog and it will give me a reason to get out and walk her...I keep hearing that walking is a big help with gas pain.

Yes for sure walking does help. Those gas pains in the shoulder are a killer but eventualy they will go away. Good luck to you what ever you decide :D

I have three dogs, they are each under 10 pounds. I didn't havea problem with them but I also don't walk them since we have a backyard and I had someone here catering to me for 7 days. I must say if I was alone I might've forgotten to let them out since I was napping so much

I was concerned about my pets too, but as someone stated earlier, they sense you not feeling well. Mine usually pounce on me but they were so gentle after my surgery.

I have 5 dogs (Lab, Dalmatian, toy poodle, toy pom, and a small mix) They are all my rescue babies and did really well with me after surgery. I was worried about them as well but I found they were the least of my concern when I came home.

I have 2 dogs and my younger one likes to jump on me, but I had no problem taking care of them. Sure he jumped on my abdomen once or twice, but I managed. I really don't think you need to board your dog. I live alone, and my mom brought me hem from the hospital, and I asked her to walk them when we got home, but after she left a few hours later, I took them out and took care of them.

My surgery is still a way off but I had also worried about caring for my dog after surgery. He's small so I'll have to bend down to hook his leash. I do have to walk him when he goes out. I'm probably worrying needlessly.

My surgery is still a way off but I had also worried about caring for my dog after surgery. He's small so I'll have to bend down to hook his leash. I do have to walk him when he goes out. I'm probably worrying needlessly.

just have a firm pillow to hold against your stomach when bending down and such and you will be fine :)

Thank you for the advice. I will add that to my notes.