Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAPBAND Questions to ask!!!!

I have wanted to post something like this for a long time so here goes.

1) If you make a decision to get the LapBand or in fact ANY surgery whether in the US or outside the US you should do plenty of research.

2) Research the doctor.

What kind of follow up care is provided? (ie: fills, unfills, endoscopies, fluroscopies, port revisions, removal, etc).

Ask to speak to about 5 or 6 of his patients before you make a decision. Ask those people if they have any complaints or issues with their care before, during and after the procedure.

How many of the procedures has he done?

What types of complications can occur from this procedure and how frequently do they happen? (ie: perforations, etc)

What types of complications has he personally ran into doing this procedure?

What is his policy when a complication occurs during a procedure? (ie: does he discuss options with family or immediately convert to bypass or other WLS).

Is he Inamed approved for the procedure? If not then who qualified him to perform the procedure and can you have literature to verify this?

3) Research the procedure.

How is the procedure performed?

What will change on the inside?

How will my eating habits change?

What will I need to have prepared when I get home in way of food items?

What are the short term issues?

What are the long term issues?

How will I be able to take my pills?

4) Follow up care.

What is the schedule for fills?

When can I get my first fill?

How is the fill procedure performed? (ie: with or without fluroscopy)

What is the cost for fills? (under fluro and not)

How often will I need to be seen?

Will I have access to a Nutritionist?

How do you handle unfills?

Is there a direct line in case of Emergencies?

Does your doctor have email address?

What Vitamins should I be taking?

Will I need to crush my pills? If so then for how long? Are there any pills that cannot be crushed? If so then how will I be able to take them?

5) In the end you are the ONE person that knows your OWN body. The doctor doesn't, the nurse doesn't, your best friend's neighbor's daughter's friend's dog doesn't. Get the picture? You know when your body is telling you that something isn't right. For instant, you are nauseous, light headed, and feeling tired. Could be flu, could be low blood sugar, could be dehydration. The fact is you are being made aware that your body is not happy. So maybe drink some Water, eat some Protein and rest. If that doesn't work then call your doctor. Not next week not tomorrow but right then. It might be nothing but better safe than sorry.

6) If you are working the band (i.e. drinking before /after small bites forks/spoons down after bite/ protein first - all those things) as hard as you can, and you are still not losing weight, then you might need to be evaluated for metabolic issues. Do not accept the band as just another failed weight loss gimic. Push for answers.

7) Do not leave the hospital before you know exactly what your post op diet should consist of.

Including when and how to advance the diet. (ie: clear liquid, liquid, mushies, regular diet).

Also, have a clear picture of what each phase looks like. (ie: clear liquid = broths; liquids = protein drinks; mushies = mashed potatoes; regular diet = protein then veggies then carbs).

And unless YOUR doctor told you it's ok to change his or her instructions, then NO.. its NOT ok!

8) ON the issue of Pregnancy and being banded here are some questions you might want to address.

How soon after being banded can I get pregnant?

Once pregnant, will I have to get a partial unfill or be completely unfilled?

Should I expect any issues/complications with a pregnancy after being banded? If there are any what could they be and how will they be addressed?

After being banded, are most babies delivered via c-section or can they be delivered naturally? If my baby needs to be delivered via c-section could that damage the port and tubing?

Are there additional vitamins I should take while pregnant?

If you can't keep water down and you have been suffering for days then CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

If you are having days of reflux and a burning sensation in your belly then CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

If you have a redness, swelling, tender, and hot area around your port then CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

If there is just something that doesn't 'FEEL' right then CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

If someone has more to offer then please add to this list as needed and then I will post it and close the thread and make it a sticky.

Please know that I am not suggesting that any of us aren't smart enough to know when something is wrong but sometimes we know more what to do for others than we do for ourselves.

We have to LOVE ourselves and take care of ourselves.

Is this list complete now? Is there something that you just can't live without it being on the list? LOL!!!

I am considering lap banding and am just starting to research it. I don't want gastric bypass. My sister had and she is doing great but I don't want to really alter my "inners". Do any one knows what would make a candidate not be able to have the lap band? I am planning to use Dr. Spivak in Houston or Dr. Naaman in Houston. I hate the dr to say that i was not a candidate for lap banding but for gastric bypass.

Thanks,

jg

penni, thanks for all the questions. I asked my surgeon almost all of them and he was impressed that I took time to learn about the band. I love this site and even though I am scared out of my mind having all this information brings me comfort.

Knowledge is POWER!!

Bumpity Bump for newbies

Thank you Penni; I've copied it and printed it out. I have my pre op oppt. today w/my surgeon and these are great questions to have.

See attached for the questions that I feel are important to ask whenever a person is going to have a surgical procedure

I tried 5 times to ge this to fit and I would not ... if anyone knows how to resize and plug it into this area I would appreciate it .......... I hope the attachment works.

"CAUSE i WANT TO KNOW"

Marc icon14.gif

QUESTIONS TO ASK.doc

Here is Marc's post from above:

These are questions that I ask and feel that if the physician does not want to answer or I don’t feel safe that he is telling me front up truth he is not going to touch me --

Some of these questions may be redundant to other folks questions who have posted and if so I am sorry --

These questions will make a caregiver think and that is what I want to see. I don’t want him/her to squirm but I want them to realize that this is me and there is going to be accountability in this relationship.

I start off as one who is very interested and say I have same concerns and I need your help in finding some answers -- This is a great way not to alienate or make them feel they are being interrogated. I watch my tone and watch theirs as well. I look at their body language to see what is really being told to me. I want someone to look at me and not be rolling their eyes or gazing off in the distance when giving answers that sound rehearsed or mechanical.

I want to see compassion or empathy in a real form -- not holding my hand like a child or treating me like a romantic savior sweeping one off their feet with" I wont let any thing happen to you and I will always be there for you "NO NO NO

I want to be treated as an adult making the most important choice of my life and I want to be treated as one human being to another -- if I am going to let this person operate on me.

Most of these questions can be applied to any medical procedure and great to let someone know that you are a consumer not a typical Joe schmo who is not a self advocate.

I surely don’t believe in causing a power struggle with my health care provider but I want to know what is up and more so if they are on the up and up.

There are jerks in every profession and I sure have seen some in my lifetime.

Finally if they say they never have complications or never have had post op infections or pt that eroded or a pt that never has had slips they are not telling you the truth.

Remember a human being is doing the surgery and don’t let them fool you that it is all ok and give you the G*d complex with that brush off that it will all be ok.

I much rather have a MD tell me yes I have had complications but were able to treat them well then someone who simply sugar coats and feeds me a line of BS.

So this is what I ask --

Are you board certified and in what country?

How many lap bands have you done?

How many lap bands do you do a day?

What is the percentage of your complication rate?

What is the percentage of the infection rate at your facility?

Will you personally be doing the surgery completely or will a resident or other physicians you are teaching be involved?

So is the port able to be palpated seen by others?

Will the port affect me during sex?

Amount of saline put in for fill and what determines this?

Will the incisions be obvious without a shirt (should I ever get to the place where I would want to take mine off LOL)

One of my friends suggested since I am going to have banding that I should start working out and loose weight now pre op.

What is the recommendation of how intense and how much?

Given the above height and weight what is your opinion of how long it would take to reach that goal wt post banding?

Do post op is it suggested as when dieting to only loose 1.5 to 2lbs a week and what is typical ? And what if I loose more --is there such a thing as too much wt loose to rapid?

Is there ever rejection or allergic reaction of the lap band itself?

Are there any problems with traveler’s diarrhea where you are located -- i.e. Mexico?

Are all stomach exercises eventually ok post op?

Do most patients with weight loss require skin plasty?

How long after? As a man I have lower testosterone and higher estrogen due to obesity -- have you seen this reversed post op as the weight goes?

A woman may ask about heavier periods becoming less due to over estrogen and if they have seen improvement?

Is the abd discomfort immediately post op relieved by walking? Do you medicate your patients to the point of no pain if walking doesn’t relieve the pain?

I want to go back to work as soon as possible working in an office -- how long?

Have you ever done presentations or lectured or been to a US hospital for training? Can you give me the name of a US MD who has worked with you or knows you?

Should I have any problems -- follow up will be most likely with Dr _______ would you be willing to speak if there is a problem?

I want a copy of my total medical record in English on discharge is that a problem? And how much will that be to have done?

It is very important to me that my anesthesia is not done with a general and that I not be intubated (unless of course medically needed)

-- is this a problem. Would an epidural be considered I really would find it ideal?

When refills occur is it necessary to have UGI or fluoscope done?

Cost of each?

Do you have a 24hr ans service? If your out of town who is responsible? Do they do lap bandings?

Exactly for what reasons do you want me to call you?

Do you have NP or PA that I can talk to if I can not get a hold of you?

Look if your afraid to ask questions of your MD as he will think your silly or he doesn’t have time to answer then chances are YOU HAVE THE WRONG MD.

Be a partner in your health care not a patient.

I hope this post has been an addendum in helping folks ask questions that they want to know and have every right to know -- remember that it is your body you don’t have to justify your search for knowledge ........it is yours for the asking.

"CAUSE I WANT TO KNOW"

Marc

I made a list of things to ask although I have to say I received a folder that told me everything. I'm about 2 weeks out from having surgery and feel terrific. It's important to ask a lot of questions.