Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I go for my Psych Eval this coming Friday and I am terrified! A friend of mine told me that she just met with a Psychologist and they asked her questions and that was it but my surgeon's nurse coordinator said that the DR or Pyschologist/Psychiatrist had to go by a test I think it was called a MMPI-2 test with over 500 questions. I googled the test questions and I just do not see how that relates to weight loss surgery but I guess my surgeon knows best and it's his protocal and procedure and I will roll with it. Anyone else had to do this? Thx

500 questions thats crazy!!! I just met with a psychiatrist that my surgeon suggested he asked a few questions such as did i know the risks of the procedure, body changes and how i may feel about myself after the weight comes off, if i was married and had children and if they were supportive, some questions about my general health, if i was ever mentally ill or took any antidepressants, it lasted about 10 minutes and he said ok i see no reason why you shouldn't have the surgey from his stand point and submitted the letter to the surgeon. Please let me know how yours goes good luck!!

Yes. I had to do it, I think it was 536 questions to be exact. I also had to take two other short IQ tests, I guess to make sure I was able to follow the directions if the diet properly and understand what was involved. So the tests took

2 hours then I had a 1 hour meeting with the Psychiatrist. I'm glad it's over!

All I know is the crazy psychiatrist I got sent too...that man was nuts. I forgot to get my insurance card from the receptionist and when she called me I said to just shred it, that I had already ordered a new one.

He did give me a good report.

Yes, I had to take the same computer test and then go over my results with the psychiatrist. You have nothing to worry about it. It's all common sense.

I had to meet with the psych lady but she did most of the talking so that went well. I had to do that test with way too many questions.. Bubbling in the ovals was tedious work but I passed.

we just had to meet with the social worker it was like 10 mayb 15 mins i went into counlcing my self to deal with things

Thanks everyone for your input, guess I get to look forward to a 2 hr test huh? hm... This helps a lot what everyone has said, guess everyone's doctor is different with their requirements. Guess mine doesn't want me to go Psycho on him, lol, no really it's not a laughing matter, I need to understand the ramifications of body changes, emotional changes that I may experience but I do understand that and I do understand I will feel different after losing weight. Someone asked me the other day if I was doing this to get back at my ex-husband, wow, what a blow that was to me. I've been divorced 11 months and was married for 25 years and he had an affair, yes she is skinny and yes she is younger than me and I'm 46 but I replied to this person that "no, I'm doing this for myself, I'm slowly dying a slow death if I do not get a handle on my eating and that I needed help". My ex and I remain friends, I know that's weird to some of you but we've moved on with our lives and he is now engaged and I'm happy for him. Right now, today, I need to focus on me and my life and how I can get better and live a long healthy life for my family. Thanks again for everyone's input....Donna

Mine was a 30 min meeting with the psych. Not bad at all!

As a mental health professional I was utterly insulted at how simple the questions were. The Dr. Insulted my intelligence! But hey I was out in 15 minutes ! I had prepared a script...and it went well.

Buffalogyrl - me too! The treat was short but the appointment took forevrrpages and pages of questions and the report he wrote was totally "canned". Plus I thought he was rude!!

I had the test and it took about a hour, I met the the doc for a little over a hour. The hardest part was getting the results from her.

Ok, I go for my Psych Eval this coming Friday and I am terrified! A friend of mine told me that she just met with a Psychologist and they asked her questions and that was it but my surgeon's nurse coordinator said that the DR or Pyschologist/Psychiatrist had to go by a test I think it was called a MMPI-2 test with over 500 questions. I googled the test questions and I just do not see how that relates to weight loss surgery but I guess my surgeon knows best and it's his protocal and procedure and I will roll with it. Anyone else had to do this? Thx

There are valid reasons to include a psych eval as part of the pre-surgery protocol. It did not used to be required, but I guess they had some incidents which pointed to unrealistic expectations for surgery outcome, and dealing in positive manner with the mood swings which can happen post-op.

There area valid reasons for the MMPI and any version of the original test to have the number of questions that it has...and EVERY well informed mental health professional should know the reasons why the test is designed the way that it is. Just saying Buffalogyrl...

It's important to just be yourself, and not allow your anxiety to build to unreasonable levels. You will do fine!

oh it better not take her forever to get the results or I will go crazy, lol. No actually my BCBS ins runs out June 30th and I was hoping to be banded by then, fingers crossed! If not, I will have another policy by July 1 and I will have to go thru another deductible and red tape of approval. I will just explain to her the urgency and I'm sure she will understand, I actually saw this therapist for marriage counseling, a lot of good it did me huh? LOL Now I'm divorced! Anyhoo, maybe she will remember me, she was nice 3 years ago so I'm sure all will go well.