Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgury Soon And All Posts Are Seeming So Negative

there has been alot of negative lately, but its goes in cycles, where sometimes there seems to be more than usual.

I agree that alot of problems can be avoided if you follow the rules. If you are supose to be on mushies, stay on mushies. chew your food till it is mush... dont drink while eating... theres such a thing as a little cheat and theres such a thing as being stupid about eating a whole hamburger or something along those lines 3 days after surgery.

I was banded 9/7/11 & could not be more happy. I do what I'm supposed to & it works out. I was also put off by much of the negativity & misinformation. At the same time, there are some great people on here & I like reading the success stories. Educate yourself as much as possible from reliable sources (your dr) and remember you are responsible for your success. The band is fabulous but you have to make the right choices in order to lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!

For me the biggest mistake I made pre-op was not attending any of the support groups that were provided by the program. It is very different when you meet people face to face and hear their stories and experiences and can ask them questions.

These forums are great and I learned alot from these forums by asking lots of questions. The only issue I have with these forums is at times some people can be a little insenstive to questions, especially if they are the lucky ones that are extremely successful with their weight loss and feel that they are models and that we must be doing something wrong. Well, I beg to differ because all our journeys are all different and we know when we've been bad! We're in this boat together and must encourage each other.

You will also find others that have their mind set on Gastric bypass or vertical sleeve and will dwell on the lapband negatives. I respect those that choose that type of surgery, but, me personally I like the idea that the lapband is reversible and I have a major problem with getting my intestines altered or stomach cut off. But thats just me.

Last, I've had a few minor set backs (complications) and am still fully convinced that this is the best thing I've done for myself and feel very fortunate to have been given a second chance in life. If I join the percentile that have complications leading to band removal in 5 years, so be it. I know that thus far I've been in compliance with the rules and am extremely pleased with the lapband system and have zero regrets. Jake

I actually thought about not coming to this sight anymore because I don't know the negative comments which are far more than positive help.... I was hoping to find support and positive feedback.

I started coming to this site in January. I am scheduled to be banded next week. I found so much support and positive encouragement. I also saw so many people who have done so well. Now for the past week' date=' every new thread is negative; the band is broken, surgury needed, cant drink/shallow/eat, acid reflux, major complications....on and on.

I am not sure if it is all in my head or is there no one out there that is having a positive expirence? Is it that people only start a new thread when there is something wrong? Are there really that many people having MAJOR complications and is there an equal or greater number of those who are very happy with no complications?

Just needing to hear that there is some good in the band. I am still moving forward with my plan. I wnat to change my life. Perhaps I should just not read the site for right now.....[/quote']

I have had my band for three years, had a major slip that was my fault....I would not change a thing, I love my band. That being said I read all the negative comments before I was banded because knowing about the good, the bad, and the ugly would me a better bandster......

I was banded almost 7 years ago and I haven't had any problems.

I agree with you as well. I am scheduled for LB in June and the negative posts have me concerned, too. But I do agree with the majority of the posters who responded that it is more common to see posts about complications rather than lack of, because people who are having complications need to explore other's experiences or "vent."

I also agree that maybe we are experiencing more complaints due to recent events.

With all due respect, however, I would like to say, as a health care professional myself, that we need to take such with some skepticism. I do believe that some bandsters have had catastophic events, but I believe that such events may not be the result of the band. If you review the posts a bit more thoroughly, you will see that spelling and grammar, as well as basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology are somewhat lacking. Therefore, I believe that maybe the story isnt quite what it may seem. And as all of us who experience the pitfalls of obesity know, there are multitudes of potentially deadly co-morbidities that accompany obesity. That is, after all why we want to change our lives- isn't it? Good luck with your journey. I look forward to reading about your success!

I had my surgery just about 2 months ago. I am doing well so far. I've had only 1 fill. I go for another one later this month. I wouldn't listen to everyone on here, every person is different. I have heard of complications, but that 1 out of how many? Just keep you head up and go for it if that is what you want.