Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snoring - help!

I use a CPAP and mine is abolutly silent. You cannot hear it at all, when I'm wearing it. My DH has asked me more than once if I was going to put it on, only to discover that I was already wearing it.

As usual, Capt'n Jack is right on the money, get that test done.

I am still laughing.... that PB is soooo funny! LMFAO:puke:I sent to my husband... he didn't think it was as funny ...since I did that in his new car last week!

Donali, I do feel for you! I snored so bad that after my lapband surgery the nurses woke me up in post op to tell me to stop snoring LOL Now that is bad !!!!! I was so embarrassed.....

I don't have any advice... just ((((hugs)))))

I have to think the quiet little "whish" of the C-pap machine is better than the snoring, mostly because if you have sleep apnea (and you seem to have the symptoms) it means you stop breathing when you are sleeping. No one wants to be on C-Pap, but I assure you I feel 100 times better than before I went on it. I see a lot of people come off it with the weight loss, so I wouldn't think of it as a "forever" type thing. You know I actually find the sound calming, especially if you have a ramp on it and are usually asleep before it starts "whishing" a little louder. I bet given the choice your husband would prefer you on C-Pap and alive then going through what you are. I would certainly talk to my dr. about getting a sleep study done. You know C-pap has changed my life. I now awake rested and refreshed and feel like I've actually slept 8 hours every night. It's worth the little bit of discomfort of the slight noise (which I'm used to already). I took to the machine like a duck to Water and have never experienced any leaks of any kind. I have a nose piece that is fitted with a gel base and it is excellent, although I agree certainly not the prettiest thing in the world. Hubby and you might enjoy a good night's sleep though, and look at it as more encouragement to get the weight off and get off it.:think I'll say a little :) (prayer) for you.

I sleep better when my husband wears his CPAP, which is rare because he hates it. It whirs but it is much better than having to wake him up because he stops breathing. Heck, sometimes I wake him up because I don't hear him snoring, and he is just quietly breathing. Oops!

Hope you find something that helps. Nothing else has worked for us -- even throat spray. Gag!

My CPAP is pretty quiet actually. BUT, the other day I was in the bathroom and looked up and...there was my hose being dragged down the hallway...by Bobbi, my youngest pug. The mask was attached and everything! That would have been a couple dollars to replace! LOL I guess she has sleep apnea too...or doesn't like the machine! :)

Kelli

Most of the new machines that they have out right now are very quiet. The facial masks have changed as well for the most part they are using the little nose piece instead of the entire nose mouth mask that makes you look and feel like Darth Vader.I agree with those that stated earlier....(nurses point of view) it is better to be alive and breathing then to not awaken from an episoded of sleep apnea. Please reconsider and go see your Family Doc and have the sleep study done. I know we use to see them used on the unit at the hospital and they were SOOOOOO loud and here of late they are very quiet.....only loud ones are the hospital ones that are used because the patient didnt bring his or her own one in with them for the hospital stay. Good Luck with the snoring. By the way we would never go awaken someone becasue they were snoring too loudy. However we do go running whtn the snoring has stopped. have to make sure that the patient is still breathing(and usually just awake). Please take care of your self! You only have one you and you are a special person to all of us in the world that know you!

My DH uses Flonase and sea misting spray for his nose just before bedtime. It worked the first night! For the first few weeks it gave him a sore and raw throat, but after that, he felt fine. Now it isn't really that bad. Just a few grunts once in awhile or just before waking when it starts to wear off but no where near what it used to be.

Donali, My husband was a snorer for years. & not regular snoring, I'm talking the kind that peel the shingles off the roof!! We tried everything & finally ended up sleeping in different rooms, & I could still hear him. I would sneak into his room & either kick the bed or shake the fire out of it. He went on a hunting trip with one of his buddies & one morning his buddy told him about this thing called a sinus cleanse pot. It's shaped like a genie lamp & comes with saline solution packets. You mix the saline in the pot & stick the spout in one nostril & then tilt your head to the side. It flushes your sinuses. I know you said you aren't congested, but neither was he. & he hasn't snored in 2 years!!!! We now sleep together again! Good luck! Snoring sucks!

Just to be safe, I would get a sleep study done. I too have sleep apnea, and use a cpap. My husband loves it! It took a little getting used to, but I feel so much better when I wake up. Before it I actually stopped breathing over 180 times during my sleep study. If you have apnea, it also puts a strain on your heart, which can result in heart disease.

My cpap is extremely quiet, and the only time it sounds like Darth Vader is if you open your mouth. Take care! :notagree

I had a heart attack 5 years ago. They tell me my sleep apnea could have played a large part in it and the fact I let it go untreated for so long. I also smoked....haven't touched them in 5 years. There is nothing like heart surgery to make you get your mind off cigarettes, but what a hard way to learn a valuable lesson. I wasn't heavy and had sleep apnea. I knew I was waking up gasping for breath, but had no idea what the problem was. I finally had the sleep study done (better late than never) and found out I had severe sleep apnea. I too love my C-pap machine (but my dog hates it. He thinks it's a muzzle and wouldn't come near me for 2 weeks). It makes no noise and the fact that I wake up so rested makes it so worthwhile. It may not be pretty, but it saves lives. I would definitely have a sleep study done also.

Hello,

My hubby and I both have sleep apnea and use Cpaps. His is pretty severe, and mine less so. Regardless of degree, apnea means you are not getting enough oxygen through the night.

True, losing weight often means the snoring and/or apnea goes away - though a lot of people without weight issues have it as well.

Another big thing to consider is that loss of recouperative sleep means it gets harder to function during your waking hours. If I even fall alseep on the couch, I wake up foggy and groggy. Also, the lack of oxygen messes with metabolism and insulin levels, slowing down weight loss. It also strains the heart.

As for the machine, the newer models are less noisy, no louder than a desk fan. I recently took a vacation with my sister, and she said she found the noise comforting. All in all, the machine is a pain in the neck, but my energy level has improved dramatically.

You may not have sleep apnea, but the best way to find out is to have a sleep study if your insurance covers those. If its' not covered, sometimes drs will let you test at home, or just prescribe the machine.

I couldn't tell that the throat spray helped me much. :) It might be worth a try though. I haven't been banded yet and I have trouble with snoring also. My Dr. recomended a mandibular repositioning device. It moves your lower jaw forward and keeps your teeth separated some. You can get them on line for about $30 rather than from the dentist for about $500. I haven't ordered one yet but am going to try it.

Good Luck:notagree

This is not going to be your favorite reply. ...You have to save yourself (and your SO) by losing the weight you've regained. Don't throw things at me...

:doh:

:)

Sorry it's taken me so long to respnd to this thread - I was looking for things to throw at DonnaB! :)

Donna - you are so right in every way. :) This ISN'T my favorite response...:) And I DO need/want/wish to lose the weight. However, in the meantime... :)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I got the extra strength SnoreStop throat spray and a nose decongestant spray. SO said he didnt hear me snore the last two nights, so perhaps it's working. That, or I made him feel so bad about waking me up that he's afraid to complain anymore.... :)

I probably DO need to have a sleep study done, but I'm having foot surgery 3/15 :crutch: and will be out of commission for a few months, so that will have to be put on the back burner for the time being. I am greatly reassured to hear that the newer machines are much quieter.

Jessie, where did you get the sinus cleanse pot?

Thanks again for all your help!