Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Gone for Good Club

Thursday March 16th I came home from work and found my husband in bed clutching his stomach. I took him to our doc and she promptly sent us to the ER to have him evaluated for apendicitis. In the ER waiting room he started babbling incoherently and I alterted the nurses, his blood pressure was 50/20. By 10:00pm he was in the OR having his burst apendix removed. Friday and Saturday were spent in the hospital helping him re-coup from laproscopic surgery.

Sunday morning my world came to a crashing halt...the surgeon told us that the apendicitis was caused by colon cancer. My 34 year old husband needed an immediate colonectomy/bowel resection to remove the diseased portion of his colon as well as the removal of all lymph nodes in that area.

It is now exactly one week later and we have just been home a few hours. Thanks to my parents staying with the boys I was by his side the entire time, spending every day and night there in his room (the nurses even set me up my own bed). We now face a world of possible chemo, possible re-occurance of cancer and the mortality of a man whom I love and adore in ways I can't even put words or expressions to.

We have talked long and hard this week about what we want in life and I can say our priorities and goals have drastically changed. I am quitting my job in the morning so I can be here to nurse him to health as well as be the one that he turns to as he goes through the emotional and mental ups and downs of this disease.

I will be lurking in the shadows and may even post on occasion but won't be active with the group for a while as I get my home, family and self in order.

Good luck to all and God Bless as we all endeavor on this amazing journey we call life!

Skye

Kristin - This is normal. Some people gain up to 8 pounds before the first fill. Your body drops the weight at such a rapid pace with all of the extreme dieting and surgery, and then when its time to start eating solid foods again a gain of a few pounds is to be expected. Don't let it freak you out. Just log every bite, make sure you're being sensible with your calories, and keep up on your Protein and Water. I've often found that even though I think I'm overeating, I'm still within my calories. So journaling is good. :) Hang in there.. you're doing great!

Skye - I'm at such a loss for words. What an overwhelming situation to be faced with. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for taking the time to come here and let us know what's going on. You, your husband, and your family will all be in my prayers.

Skye-

I am overwhelmed. It is amazing how quickly our lifes can change. Thanks for letting us know what is going on in your life. My prayers will be with you and your family.

Stay strong!!

Skye!!! I'm sure I can't understand your pain right now. But, I can only imagine how I would feel if the same thing happened to my amazingly supportive husband. HANG IN THERE!! You are definately in my thoughts & prayers.

Please keep us updated! You can handle this!!!!!!

Skye-

My heart goes out to you and your family, and you all are in my prayers. Life's changes will difinately make you take a look at priorities. Your life's challenges has made me take a look at my own priorities.

Stay encouraged and keep God first. Only God can and will see you through this. I will continue to lift you and your husband up in prayer.

Ok, I have a confession to make about the Girl Scout Cookies. I bought a case of Samoas (Carmel Delights) before my surgery. I starting eating 1/2 box a night and ended up eating a whole box a night. I got my surgery date and had to immediately go on the Post Op Diet. Oh no, I still have one more box of cookies to eat. I didn't eat them and I just today noticed that they are gone from my pantry.

I hear by do solemnly swear to abide by the #1 Law of the "Gone for Good Club' and never ever buy or consume another Girl Scout Cookie for the rest of my life! Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

hey, sounds like all are still doing grt, here it is 6 days into the pre-op diet and all is going great, find that the preop diet is pretty good, I know that this sounds horrible but it does. I find that it feels me up and I dont have a lot of hunger pains like I really thought I would. May be its the the excitement about getting my band on the 17th

My first three days on the Pre-op diet were hard. Of course, that could be because my body was trying to detox from the Girl Scout Cookies. Sugar is a DRUG!!!

Great rule Mary!! Everyone raise your right hand & say out loud together-

"I ________ (fill in your name) PROMISE to never buy or consume another Girl Scout Cookie for the rest of my life!!"

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!! Say it louder!!! :biggrin1:

I think rule #2 should be to never eat any more HOT DOGS!! :P (For those who don't know, I had a very bad obstruction incident involving a hot dog! Bands and hot dogs don't get along very well!!)

Here's to no more GS Cookies & banning all hot dogs!!! :speechles

Anybody out there with me on this?!?! :)

I am difinately with you Diane on the Hot Dog thing, your incident really scared me. I said I would never eat another hot dog after watching how they are made but after your post, I know I will never eat another one.

Now the girl scout Cookies may be a different story, I don't know if I can say for the rest of my life but I will say for the rest of this year!

If it will make you feel better, how about instead of buying the Cookies we give the cash we would have spent on the cookies to a Girl Scout Troop. I did this last year. The Troop then gets 100% of the profit instead of pennies per box. We then don't have the guilt of eating the things. A win win situation!

Skye: I feel your pain. I hear your anquish. I will keep you in my prayers.

Today's plan accomplishment:

I will follow my Nutrisystem meal plans. (OK, My grandson is in town. We went to Legoland yesterday. I had a cheeseburger and fries and drank two bottles of Water. We walked forever and a day. That should go into the exercise portion. LOL!!! Anyway I am trying to be good. It will be hard with him here. And on top of it all I am SICK with a bad cold.)

I will exercise for a minimum of 20 min a day 4 days a week. (Got that in yesterday from walking all over LEGOLAND.)

I will lose at least 1 lb a week. (HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.)

I will drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. (Got in about 64oz so far. Can we say I live in the bathroom now. LOL!!)

Positive reinforcement mantras:

I will continue to eat healthy and hope to lose weight.

I will continue to exercise and hope to lose weight.

I will continue to be proud of myself with all the accomplishments to date.