Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support and advice

I haven't been on here in a while and unfortuntely there hasn't been too many changes since last post. I am wondering if I'll ever hit my goal bc I haven't lost any weight in like 4 months. Well I have been eating waaaay too much, pushing my band....lucky I haven't had a slip.

Here's what I'd like advice in. Has anyone had sharp pain in their left shoulder when either really hungry or really full? I get these pains all the time. Referred pain from my band maybe?

Ok, so I am going to start getting on this board all the time again. When I was on here all the time I was losing more weight than ever. I am so proud of my progress but I REALLY want to lose more weight. Plus I am scared that I may gain weight back!! NO MORE JUNK FOOD!!!!!! Help me get back on track!! :help:

Hey! Look at you - you've lost over 60 pounds in less than a year! So you took a little break, that's ok. You're entitled. Like everyone says, it's here when you want it and ready to work when you are. Maybe you need a fill to give you an extra boost? I know I always (ok usually) feel a rush of vigor after a fill (except during the holidays....). Keep up the great work and spend some time doing what you enjoy!

I am on the same wagon. How do we get off? I have had 2 months on a plateau. I am not eating a lot though. I think I am actually "under" eating the band.

I have left shoulder pain too, sometimes pretty severe. I went to the orthopedic doctor and he said it was due to the rapid weight loss and the muscle and tendons not keeping up. He recommended muscle relaxers, tylenol, and $500 worth of therapy of stretching and isometrics. It hurts mainly in the evenings and when I go to bed. No pain usually in the mornings and afternoons. He said that eventually the strength will come back and I will be doing better. I am still waiting.....

Laura could be right. Maybe it is time for a fill? A solid reminder of the presence of your band and why you have it perhaps?

I'm probably going to be dubbed the Protein queen before long because I keep pushing and pushing it to everyone, but it's so important. Protein will keep you full longer. Protein will keep you from losing muscle while losing weight. Protein keeps your hair from falling out. When our diets get turned "upside down" and we begin eating more carbs than Proteins, we end up on a vicious cycle of needing to eat more and more. We eat more, but are hungrier than ever. Carbs are so quickly burned up, leaving us hungry again. And carbs usually come in the form of very high calorie, very high fat, very little nutritional value foods.

I'm under eating as well. I know it, it's just hard to figure out how to get my calories up and not do it by bringing foods that I now fear back into my diet. Overeating and under eating will both slow our weight loss.

Take a step (or 10) back. Back to when you could see the progress and feel good about being on the right track. Go through the checklist of what you should be doing and really take a good hard look at what you are actually doing. Journal what you're eating so you can get a real honest picture of what's going on. If you're bringing foods into the house that you had gotten away from before.. then clean them out again. If youre not drinking enough Water, drink more. If youre not eating at least 60 grams of protein per day, then add some to your daily intake. If you've slacked off on exercise, start adding just 10 - 15 minutes per day into your routine. Sometimes, just getting back to the basics is the best way to move forward again.

And Hamu, several of us are starting a support "club" of sorts that might be very helpful to you right now. The timing couldn't be more perfect. It's starting today. Click on the link in my signature and check it out. If you think it's something that might help you, then please join in. That goes for all of ya.

And Jenna, I'll eat more if you will. *grins* Wow, imagine that. Having to eat more. *chuckles*

Just a little add on to the Protein queen... I have always had baby fine hair and brittle nails. I did a high protein diet for about 6 months a few years back, and my hair was fuller and my nails were longer then they had ever grown in my entire life during that diet.

Hamu... the referred shoulder pain was one of the problems I had when I had a fill... it most freguently nagged me when I was hungry. Now that I am filless... the shoulder pain is gone.

It sounds like you have done a wonderful job with your band but this is a great place to get a renewed fire in your belly to keep going. :)

excellent work maintaining your loss! You say you've been eating all sorts of crap, and yet you haven't gained it all back! Well done!

Can't give any advice about the pain, an I'm the elected Turtle Spokes Model, so I can't offere any advice about the plateau, other than stopping the junk

Welcome back!

I get the shoulder pain too, I asked my doc and she said that there are a lot of nerves around our stomach and the band or port oculd be resting on it when we get full or our stomach starts the growling...Mine gets really bad when I have a carbonated beverage. I hate that shoulder pain. I went 6 months without losing anything and actually gaining some back. I went and got a fill to kick start my losing again. I even started a journal here to help me and it has worked some. We will all try anything we can to get the scale moving, you're doing great by starting back here! Good luck!

I think I will get a fill on my next day off, I want to only be able to eat just a little bit. I hope that getting a fill will not make my shoulder pain worse though.

Thanks for all your support!

You know what's strange? I have not really made an "effort" this entire time. The band FORCED me to lose my first 60 lbs. Now I have to figure out how to get the last lbs off. I feel guilty that I have not tried more, not exercised or eaten the right stuff. This has to change or I will enevitably fail. I CANNOT fail at this!!!