Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to offset the bad moments thread

I love the hard moments thread where we have been sharing the painful experiences of being fat. It isnice to grieve, share, and laugh together. It helps us to be stronger in this journey.

I would like to hear some of the cool moments. I knowthey arenot asplentiful asthebad moments, but they are there. They can be a collection of NSV's, things your friends, family, or complete strangers have said or done, of accomplishments we have had over skinny little twits...

I might have shared this before, I do not remember. But when I went to talk to the woman we are getting our house from I mention the surgery and that I was excited about it. Her mouth just dropped and she stared at me speechless. I laughed and asked her what was wrong. She said she didn't think I was fat enough for a surgery like that. That she thought I was a little larger, but not fat. She said that she was from MN and that she was the thinnest person in her town. I'd say she weighs approx 150 or 160. I laughed, thanked her, and told her I was going to tell everyone that I was not fat cause Holly told me so. I smiled all day.

I also was out with some friends about a year ago. We were playing pool at a bar that dh and I used to frequent. DH wason the other side of the bar playing his game, andI was just hanging out with the girls, singing in karaoke and "getting my drink on". LOL There was a table of really cute guys sitting near us, andthey kept looking over and talking about us. No laughing, just making eyes and cheering a lot when one of us would go up to sing. I had been up about 3 times, and it was a few hours since we first saw them. All the girls were cute, skinny and done up that night. They were picking out the ones they liked, and basically fighting over this one REALLY hunky guy. As I was sitting down after my last song two of the guys came up to our table. One of them was the hunk. They walked up, and all the girls went quite. Amanda, one of the girls, said hi and asked for his name. He looked right at me and said "My nameis mark. You are an amazing singer and a gorgeous woman. Can I buy you a drink?" I started laughing cause I thought they were trying to play a prank on me. He lost his smile and said appologized, turned and started to leave. I got up and asked if he was serious, he said yeah, and i accepted the drink. But I explained before he bought it that I was married and pointed out DH. He smiled, said he was a lucky man, and at the end of the evening approached DH and said as much.

I smiled for a week!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wow! That must have made you feel good! How come I didn't know you when I lived in Tampa, I went to USF there for 4 years. We could have had some fun together!

-My good story- When I first moved here to Portugal I went to a new salon with a friend. They did my hair all up, gave me a scalp massage, all the good stuff. Afterwards, hubby picked me up and we went out for dinner. I ordered a diet coke and here in Portugal they usually bring a can or a bottle (they aren't to big on fountin drinks) and on the can of diet coke was a picture of Shakira. The waiter brought the coke and then pointed to the can and said.....look its you on the can!!!! :biggrin1:

Sales Pitch = its all in the wording!

About a month ago me and Mike went shopping for travel trailers. Our salesman made a comment while showing us one with a full size bed, he said, "Yeah, this one should be big enough for the two of you - since y'all arent big people."

If the price wouldve been right - we would own that trailer.

Our bestfriends are Candice and Ricky. One day me and Candice went on a lunch date. Ricky came to meet us. While we were eating, Ricky started asking about my weightloss (they knew all about my surgery - he just wanted specifics). He asked my starting weight and how much I had lost. 249 starting, and on that day, I had lost 70 pounds. Candice freaked out - and told Ricky that he was RUDE for asking me that. Ricky's response: "But she looks so darn good, and Im SO proud of her. And I figured that now that she was small, she didnt mind telling me what she weighed before all of this."

KAT that is awesome!! LOL Nice to be likened to a hot star! As for USF, we just moved here about 6 months ago, so we still would havemissed each other. But if you are ever back in the area, hit me up!!! We'll go clubbing! I love dancing, and karaoke, and just plain late night drunken fun. LOL

Paula, I am with him. Once I lose I will be so proud to shout from the rooftops how much I once weighed. Until then, however, I think I will keep it a bit secret. LOL At least in a public area. Hell my momma doesn't even know. LOL

Wow, It is really sad that I can't think of one moment or story like that. My family has said stuff about my weightloss, but unfortunately they don't count, because the are family and love me. I know that should count, but to me it doesn't. Oh well, hopefully there will be some coming in the future!

none, other than smaller clothes and same ol same ol stuff of more energy and such. I think i still just have so much more weight to lose others don't see the almost 70 pounds I have lost already. Especially If I don't feel it or "see it", I guess I don't expect others to either. I will though. It will happen soon enough. If I have to start wearing a before and after sandwich sign then I will get people to notice! HA!

For the last few weeks DH has been asking if anyone at work has noticed my weight loss (43 lbs). He notices/feels a big difference. I kept saying "No" because no one had said anything.....until last Friday. I guess I wore the right thing (striped pants, slim fitting shirt, pointy 3" boots) because EVERYONE noticed all on the same day. I received comments all day long. It was a great day - I should wear that outfit every day. It's now my favorite thing to wear!

kim, you are almost to onederland, andyou are not focusing on all the great things you have accomplished up till this point. so i am going to do your post for you...

Hey everybody!! Kim has lost 68 pounds!! Andshe is smaller and healthier and more beautiful than ever!!! And she is going to be in Onderland very soon!! Yay KIM!!!! :eek:

Don't worry, Kim. People will suddenly start noticing and will say something when you least expect it.

Chin up - You're doing GREAT - 70 lbs is AMAZING! Keep up the good work!

Thanks FD and Shanna, I just recently bought some new and slim fitting clothes so maybe that will make the difference. Maybe I am wrong though. Maybe I throw the compliments away because I think people are saying them just to be nice. I just recalled a guy on my team at work say to me that I was " wastin away ". I laughed it off but I guess that means he noticed. SO I do have a story! In my own denial about my weight loss I threw it to the curb as him just trying to be nice. Hmmmm. I should think on that.

open yourself up Kim. No reason to deny yourself the spoils of this war with fat. You are working really hard, and to nottakein, accept, enjoy, and respond to those cheers from your friendsand family and coworkers then you aremissing the greatest part of losing weight! Andall that praise will help you to continue to work hard on getting to goal.

I challenge you to to tell him that you just realized thathe was serious, and thank him sincerely. :confused:

I challenge you to to tell him that you just realized thathe was serious, and thank him sincerely. :confused:

Ooooo...that's a good challenge!!!

Kim, your weight loss is wonderful, and I'm betting it's your wardrobe. Mine is. I know when I buy clothes that actually fit, rather than clothes meant to hide under, I get lots more compliments on my weight loss. Get an item or two at a time. I bought 3 pairs of pants (2 black, 1 navy, all the same style that fit) and worked them in. Then I got 3 thin, short-sleeved sweaters (same style, different colors) and worked those in. Got some new shoes. Then bought 2 new cardigan sweaters in 2 colors (I'm cold all the time now!) and I have been getting compliments all the time now!

All this to say, introduce those properly-fitted clothing items and it will be undeniable! Wow. Look how far you have come!!!

Clothes do make a huge difference!!I had been wearing 5x. I went to work at Nordstrom, and my boss took me aside and said that I was not wearing the proper fit. She got me into some 4x and 3x clothes, and even DH said it looked like I had lost a ton of weight. Now I preach it to my customers. I work in Encore, so fit is key to making us look as good as possible. Sure we have more things to hide, but hiding does not need to mean wearing a tarp. We really have to try to camoflage thebad, and accentuate the good.