Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Ti Say To My Co Workers..

Do what you are comfortable with. Initially only my husband knew. Then I told my family. Now I honestly don't remember who knows or not. Some co-workers do, some don't.

My weight loss has been up and down and stopped many times over, so there hasn't been a drastic weight loss to explain.

I pack my lunches. Honestly no one pays attention to what I eat.

If someone asks and you are not comfortable sharing, tell them a partial truth. That you are watching what you eat, cutting back on portions, and exercising.

The weight loss is something that will be slower than traditional WLS, so no explaining necessary. People will see you eating healthier and becoming more active and they will put those two together as the reasons for weight loss. Only a few people know that I've had it done and I don't care to tell others.

If I didn't get stuck or barely eat at work, I wouldn't have told them either. I have told some, but it took me months to tell them. You don't have to; you'll be eating healthy and small portions so of course you would lose weight!

Only my family and a few selected coworkers know about my surgery. Not that I don't want people to know I just figure if they ask if I had surgery I would tell them. As soon as I was able I got into a REALLY demanding workout routine and getting the "right" things, so people who didnt know I had the surgery knew I totally was changing my lifestyle, they just assumed that is why I dropped that weight. Now it really wasnt noticed until I dropped about 50lb. Then people were always asking how I did it. I am almost a year out and still only a handful of people know. I kind of feel like if I come out and tell people now they will judge me.... i dont know! Just something we go through I guess! Keep up the hard work! I love my band!

Only my family and a few selected coworkers know about my surgery. Not that I don't want people to know I just figure if they ask if I had surgery I would tell them. As soon as I was able I got into a REALLY demanding workout routine and getting the "right" things, so people who didnt know I had the surgery knew I totally was changing my lifestyle, they just assumed that is why I dropped that weight. Now it really wasnt noticed until I dropped about 50lb. Then people were always asking how I did it. I am almost a year out and still only a handful of people know. I kind of feel like if I come out and tell people now they will judge me.... i dont know! Just something we go through I guess! Keep up the hard work! I love my band!

Thats what I was worried about.....at first I was just going to tell my family, (you know, you have that little fear that you will fail...then everyone would think you can't even lose the weight with surgery).

Then I thought but if im successful, I would surely want to share what made it possible.....and if you tell one person, you might as well tell them all...because people just can't keep a secrete. And I'm not good with the half truth thing I just couldn't face people that kept asking me How I'm loosing the weight and I tell them eat right and exercise....then they find out I had a wsl surgery.....I would feel wrong.And besides, whats wrong with it...we act like its something to be a shamed of. Most people paticipate in some activity that is bad for them....smoking (would we look down on them if they went to be hypnotised?), Drinking (would we look down on them for seeking help?) I'm proud of ourselves!! we took control...we are doing what is neccesary to save our lives!! and if one other person can learn something from it ....then that would given be better.

You have every right to keep it private!! But I hope that you have a few good people around you that will support you and cheer you on.

Good luck!

I don't feel like I owe any information to coworkers. It's not that I feel embarrassed; I just don't think it's any of their business. Also, I don't need any food police. You can be guarenteed that you could have grilled chicken breast and raw veggies every day for lunch; but have a 2 inch square birthday cake and someone will ask you "Should you be eating that!?"

Thats what I was worried about.....at first I was just going to tell my family, (you know, you have that little fear that you will fail...then everyone would think you can't even lose the weight with surgery).

Then I thought but if im successful, I would surely want to share what made it possible.....and if you tell one person, you might as well tell them all...because people just can't keep a secrete. And I'm not good with the half truth thing I just couldn't face people that kept asking me How I'm loosing the weight and I tell them eat right and exercise....then they find out I had a wsl surgery.....I would feel wrong.And besides, whats wrong with it...we act like its something to be a shamed of. Most people paticipate in some activity that is bad for them....smoking (would we look down on them if they went to be hypnotised?), Drinking (would we look down on them for seeking help?) I'm proud of ourselves!! we took control...we are doing what is neccesary to save our lives!! and if one other person can learn something from it ....then that would given be better.

You have every right to keep it private!! But I hope that you have a few good people around you that will support you and cheer you on.

Good luck!

Ive just had a couple of days with my sister, away from my home. its obvious now that im losing some weight and i look so much better in the face now that im getting comments from everywhere. Including my sister, who insisted i talk about how im doing it. BEcause i havent shared with anyone apart from my husband, i could only share with her about the liquid ''fast'' that ive been on a couple of weeks. My church often goes on liquid fasts when praying on an issue... so liquid fasts arent new to me. so, i shared only the eating plan im on... i didnt share about the band. In fact, we discussed the fact that my sister could do the same thing... after all the band isnt restricting me yet... so im doing it by willpower right now. We discussed that perhaps she could do it 2 weeks on, have 2 weeks very careful eating and keep repeating the exercise.

She did say she wasnt prepared to give up red wine etc so I doubt very much if she would attempt it. she saw me eating nothing while she had her lunch and not worrying about it.

My sister knows that i have a dietician on board. I had a lot of health issues and they know about that.

i still feel very strongly about not sharing about the band itself... i dont think its going to change as time goes on. Im not confident that my family would be supportive at all. perhaps in a few years?? we will see.

I feel like for me at least, my weight and diet have always been very personal to me. Why would I change that oppinion now? I have told so few people. Who knows what the future holds as far as who I tell but I know it will never be something that I broadcast!

Thats what I was worried about.....at first I was just going to tell my family' date=' (you know, you have that little fear that you will fail...then everyone would think you can't even lose the weight with surgery).

Good luck![/quote']

Random comment but I really like all of your posts. You seem like a nice lady.

I don't feel like I owe any information to coworkers. It's not that I feel embarrassed; I just don't think it's any of their business. Also' date=' I don't need any food police. You can be guarenteed that you could have grilled chicken breast and raw veggies every day for lunch; but have a 2 inch square birthday cake and someone will ask you "Should you be eating that!?"[/quote']

No kidding...I can see this happening to me. It's too late though, most of my coworkers know Im going to have it.