Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking While Eating?

Does anyone have any tips on the drinking while eating issue. I've tried so hard to not drink. The doctor said I could drink until the 4th week and then I had to start learning to eat without drinking.

I've started trying now (I'm on week three - mostly mushies) and it's hard. Expecially if it's spicy.

Also do any of you take small sips only? Suck ice cubes during meals? How about what do you say to the waitress? Or with Value Meals? (kids meals)

Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

I will give you a little advice, once your pouch is full with hard Proteins and you go to drink..you will not do it again, OUCH it hurts, when your pouch is full and you drink while eating or too son after eating you get backed up like a toliet and it is painful, you may not notice it now with mushies but I guarantee you will notice the pain once you are on solids , when I'd go out to eat, I'd order NO drink and not ask for Water, if it is there so is the tmeptation, so to avoid it, dont have it near you..and hopefully you will not be ordering value meals any longer so that will not be an issue either. if you drink while eating you defeat the purpose of filling your pouch or having the band since the liquids will push the food through your band quicker and you will be hungry again sooner... I hope this helps you some :)

Good Luck

I'm afraid "Value Meals" will be a part of my life for at least a few more years. I work on the run and on the road. (Software Consultant) I drive a lot and don't cook...

I've had lectures before on quitting the fast food and packing a cooler. I'm just not that type of planner. Plus I never know if I'm going to be on the road a day or two or a week.

When I dieted in the past I'd like the side salad instead of fries with a grilled chicken sandwich.

I was thinking of getting milk instead of the soda and saving it but it's still winter... summer would be nasty!

How about when you eat spicy?

I'm afraid "Value Meals" will be a part of my life for at least a few more years. I work on the run and on the road. (Software Consultant) I drive a lot and don't cook...

I've had lectures before on quitting the fast food and packing a cooler. I'm just not that type of planner. Plus I never know if I'm going to be on the road a day or two or a week.

When I dieted in the past I'd like the side salad instead of fries with a grilled chicken sandwich.

I was thinking of getting milk instead of the soda and saving it but it's still winter... summer would be nasty!

How about when you eat spicy?

As La_madam mentioned above, once you've consumed Protein and are full, you're going to have a hard time drinking anything. It truly does hurt. Additionally, drinking while eating defeats the purpose of the band as it flushes the food in your new stoma into the larger part of your stomach, causing you to be hungry sooner than you should be.

However, if you're constantly on the go requiring fast food stops rather than planning meals, I suggest the following:

Wendy's small chili

Wendy's side salad

Taco Bell pintos and cheese

McDonald's yogurt and granola

Burger King 6-piece chicken fries (I try to avoid these 'cause they're deep-fried but I've had them on occasion)

Once banded, with proper restriction, you're going to have a very hard time eating a grilled chicken sandwich (or chicken at all) so the portions above may just be perfect for you.

Best of luck to you. :)

I understand... I'm not going to drink!

I was looking for tips for making this transition.... does anyone have any tips?

My friend does ice cubes with her meal... Do you all think that is bad?

I complete understand the reason and the post above both seem like you all think I don't understand.

I understand... I'm not going to drink!

I was looking for tips for making this transition.... does anyone have any tips?

My friend does ice cubes with her meal... Do you all think that is bad?

I complete understand the reason and the post above both seem like you all think I don't understand.

I don't doubt that you understand. I think we're just trying to reiterate what you already know.

If I am thirsty during a meal, I will take a very, very small sip of something just to quench my thirst. Believe me, I was one that drank during every meal but found that after surgery, it wasn't as hard of a transition as I had expected. I suppose you should just take it meal-by-meal and see what your level of thirst is. :)

Cashley,

I'm glad you brought this up, because I'm afraid the "no drinking" with meals will be the most difficult dietary change for me. Any more suggestions out there?

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie too, but this is what I have read in other posts. You should drink LOTS of Water in between meals to keep yourself hydrated. If your body is already well hydrated through out the day, then you won't be as thristy during meals. I too fear this will be a difficult thing to over come, but I think really you just have to bite the bullet and try to make it a habit. Just try to get in as much Water and liquids in between meals as you can.

I am also a "food on the go" type girl. Lately I have been doing the grocery store option rather than the fast food places. Going in and getting some good fruit or even some deli shaved turkey does wonders!!!

Something I do after a meal is to suck on a piece of candy. Usually that helps me. And Kat is absolutely right, drink a TON of Water between meals. It not only keeps you hydrated but will curb your appetite too.

This was SO hard for me - especially when I'm in a hot/humid climate or in summertime.

What I had to learn to do at first may sound simplistic but:

If I'm at home (this is rare, as I do most of my eating while I'm out) I literally put my drink of Water or Crystal Lite in the freezer and then take it out only after 45+ minutes to an hour after eating. It helps because as when I'm properly restricted (wait - I remember good restriction, :eek: ) then I can NOT drink anything lukewarm, tepid or room temperature. For me to drink any amount of something it has to be either ice cold or very hot. Room temp is not an option.

Weird, eh?

If I'm at a restaurant, I either drink all or most of my ice Water glass before the meal begins (and then just wave them off if they come to refill it while I'm eating) or I literally move the water glass end of the table, by my dining companion. That way if I accidentally go for the glass - it's out of reach. Reaching for it immediately makes me remember not to drink it with my meal. (Now if my dining companion is also a LapBander too, then we scoot our drinks to the far end of the table away from both of us!:P )

These sound elementary - but they really helped me to cure the "drink while eating" habit. That was the biggest dietary change after LapBanding I think I had to make.

Also later when I'm more restricted - it's too hard to drink when I've just eaten anyway. There simply isn't enough room for solid food/protein + liquid in a smaller space.

Good Luck & Happy Band Journeys To All

I hear ya on the spicy stuff! I was wondering if I could act like a wine taster & have a spit bucket, lol. :eek:

I'm a die-hard drink-between-every-bite kind of girl, this not drinking thing is killing me!! I've gotten to the point where I don't drink until after the meal... but it's immediately after. **sigh**

Let me know if you find the secret!!

Still working on it....

Wow! Those are good responses. I never thought about drinking and spitting like at a Wine Tasting but that's actually a really good idea. (Not the best manners) but it would I assume work. Still cool a burning mouth if that's the case.

I've heard to take some honey to cool a hot mouth from spicy food but that would probably defeat the purpose with all the calories in honey.

I've been trying to stay hydrated but it's actually harder then ever. I've always been a big drinker but now I've been forgeting because I'm trying to wait an hour or more after and then I forget - get busy and it's time for the next meal. I've kind of been dehydrated.

I guess it's just learning new habits.