Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting it off my chest...

Thanks for the post Diane, it was touching and meant alot. I know what you mean about this board, with everything going on in my life right now it is my haven...my little safe spot with lots of people who only know how I am feeling and why. Imagine telling someone youre having a bad day because you want chocolate so bad you could die. Or tell them your band is having a fickle bitch day and wont let you have anything but Soup. Uh Huh I am sure that would go down well. I keep 99% of my band convo and related to here, cause only you guys know what I REALLY mean and how I REALLY feel.

Hugs

BTW - 2 more days till .... no more smokes day. My Drs receptionist got back to me today about my TT op and let me know that no preop testing will be necessary because of my age. I was blown away because I know how much testing I had to have done for the band. I mean he doesnt even know my Blood type what if something happens? He is a great Dr and is well renowned, but has his own ideas about things, I guess this is one of them...kinda worries me tho.

BBK I am sorry you are struggling. You have done a lot so far. You should be proud of that! I am glad to hear that you are making such a strong stand to quit smoking. you ahould do it for yourself, not just the upcoming surgery.

One thing I want tosay, because you have voiced consern about you PS, is that most PS I have talked to have said they would not even touch me until about at least 6 months to a year after I reached goal for any surgery. They do this for a number of reasons. One, if you lose more the surgery could have been better. If you gain weight because you are still unstable then it could be dangerous. And the skin starts shrinking at the 6months to a year mark. Why is your PS so willing to do a TT when you have not even completed your journey, and you haven't given your skin time to adjust? I am not trying to be argumenttive, but if the guy doesn't even know your blood type, and is not thinking of the long term results of this, maybe he is not the best surgeon.

I know I am gonna get flack for ssaying this, but truly, it is all said in love. I want to see you successful, just like everyone here. And a TT is another major surgery. Just make sure it is done with as much time and preparation as the band surgery. (((hugs))) I hope this is taken in thelight that it is meant, and I really hope you succeed with the smoking.

Hi Kellie!

You said you were a little worried about the doctor not doing any pre-op tests. I would be worried too!! I had also heard the same thing that Funnyduddie said - most plastic surgeons suggest you NOT have PS until you're at goal weight for awhile. Hmm... Maybe this surgeon knows something we don't!!! Keep us updated!!

Good luck Kellie!

Have you guys ever seen MuffinBirdies website? She had a lower body lift and she talks about how important it is to be at or below your goal weight before you have this kind of surgery. Have a look, it's great reading. I think you'll find the info about the body lift in her Journal entries.

http://www.myagb.homestead.com/index.html

Kellie, I was thinking about your TT as well. Are you sure this is the right time to do this? If you are then I respect your decision. If you're still unsure, maybe do a bit more research first? If you go through the expense and pain of the surgery, then lose more weight, chances are you'll still end up with baggy skin wont you? Wouldn't it be better to wait and have it done when you're at the best possible point for the TT to have the best outcome? Just a thought. :eek:

Exercise is a self-esteem booster, even if you are the only one who knows you are doing it. Just start. Walk out the door and walk. No one says we have to do this by ourselves. That is what the Band is supposed to be for. Self-sabotage is nothing more than self-hatred, or if that is too strong then a really, really, strong self-dislikness. Now I’m not talking about a pathological need for food because of some type of psychosis. I’m talking about that “I could have had a V8” feeling. Even if you can’t stop the binging and smoking all at once, try to make yourself exercise as if your life depended on it. It will make you feel better about yourself.

Hugs, BBKellie..:eek: .

I know how you feel.

But quitting smoking will make ALL the difference with your PS. My own PSurgeon won't even touch a patient whose smoked within 4 wks before surgery and if you look at photos of smoking patients who have had Plastic Surgery, it might inspire you to put the pack down. Those seromas (more common with smokers) and other plastic surgery complications are way too scary to risk. We want you healthy & happy!

And for others with TT hefore goal questions - if BBKellie is within 20# to 25# of her goal weight many many PS will still consider her a good candidate.

In fact since the LapBand is not malabsorptive, and since our weight loss is much slower (and sometimes incremental) that even when we continue to lose, it's not at a rate that usually threatens a well-done Tummy Tuck. Most of the "wait until XXX months after goal weight" was developed with bypass patients whose weight loss is a bit more difficult to predict. Since malabsorptive procedures lose weight so quickly, those patients do have to be more careful about sudden quick weight loss swings.

Most LapBand patients are not quite in the same situation, so slower weight loss (even if it continues) does not necessarily affect a TT or Body Lift.

In fact one of the prominent PS MD's said he wished that more WLS patients would at least CONSULT with him when they are before goal so they can sit down together and develop a clear plan of what weight loss is necessary, what procedures will be needed, what financial planning will be done - etc. He absolutely advises WLS patients to come to him before goal and other PS's echoed his sentiments. The biggest mistake some patients make, according to this particular surgeon is waiting too long for their initial consults - and then they find out they could have saved themselves some time and money with getting procedures done in a certain order.

I had my TT not long ago and since I'm (*sigh*) within 20# of goal (so says my WLS surgeon) then it was acceptable for me to go ahead and go forward with my TT. On the slim chance that I lose some exceptional amount of weight and maintain that loss I'll be more than happy to go back for a small tweak of my TT but most likely this will not be the case. Plus I got to get my LapBand port moved with my TT so I am happy that it's in a most appropriate position now that I've lost a bit of weight.

Just an FYI.

Happy Band Journeys to all.

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I have been researching a TT for years. I wrote back to the receptionsist today and actually then spoke with my Dr and I am having preop testing done this Friday.

I fell pregnant at 16, had a baby at 17 and from then on my body was a shambles. I mean it was before but not so saggy. I then put on and lost weight over the next few years till I fell pregnant with twins, well if the tummy couldnt get any worse, it did. Up and down weight again until I had my 21 mth old and my tummy is BAD. When I started my lapband journey my Drs goal for me was 80kg. I would be over the moon to get to that weight and its only 8 or 9kgs away.

My PS had 3 appointments with me before deciding whether to go ahead. He said my tummy still has some fat to lose but most of it is loose skin that WONT ever go back in. He felt for me with the issues of rashes etc especially in the heat. He agreed to do it for me and said my results will stay the same if not better if I lose a bit more. He suggests between 20 and 30 pds to keep the results...anymore than that you may have loose skin again.

I am so 100% for this surgery, honestly I am sure most of us can understand what having saggy hanging skin can do for us, and having it since I was 17 I really dont know anything else that I can remember. I will give up smoking. I know I will, and I will have this op because I want it so bad, and have spent so long looking into it. I began researching long before I had my band.

Thanks again for advice and support.

Thanks NuSho and Kellie :eek:

I haven't done much research into the TT yet, but I'm sure planning on it. I've dealt with the rashes and stuff for years too. Lord knows what's going to happen with this when I start getting into some serious pounds lost. So I appreciate the info.

Kellie, sounds like you have done your homework m'dear! I am really happy for you that you're going to see your dream realized. *big hugs*