Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first fill almost 2 weeks ago, 6.5 cc in a 14cc band, and I have not really felt much restriction yet. In the morning, I can tell my band is tighter, but by 10ish, no restriction at all. I went out to dinner the other night with friends, had steak and a sweet potato with no problems. Then, last night, I made some baked chicken and cous cous for dinner. I took 2 bites of the cous cous, then had a bite of chicken. The chicken felt like it got stuck. It was painful in my chest and felt like the bite was sitting deep in my throat. I have not had any problems with food getting stuck, until I ate Chicken. I let it calm down for about 2 hours, and tried again (Very small bite and chewed ALOT) and it too git stuck.

Is is normal to have just one particular food that just doesnt like to go down? I heard steak is hard for alot of people, but I had no problem at all. I typically eat chicken 3-5 days a week, so this is concerning since that is a huge staple in my diet.

Anyone else have this type of issue?

The only food I have problems with is chicken or Turkey...I have found that I need to put a bit of low-fat gravy (like the McCormick mixes) on it, then no problem. It sounds like you have a mild sticking problem. Once you have a real stuck, you'll know it and there will be no doubt. You will throw up and have sliming...quite gross..could take 1-2 hours to get it all out but that is part of the learning process. Once you have that sticking problem, you can't eat the rest of the day - only drink as the stomach is inflammed.

Melinda

Yes, with chicken too. I tend to favor putting thighs in the crock pot now instead of breasts. Maybe give that a try. chicken breast the next day is definitely not good with me!

I do eat canned chicken breast with a little mayo and have no problem with that eating it cold.

I don't like chicken all that much but I have a Problem with Ham!!

No problem with ham here, I love it! But what I do for chicken breast, tritip or any other roast is use my carving knife and slice everything almost deli thin. I never have a problem if I am able to do that if I am at home.

I had VERY small pieces and chewed alot, just seems that the dryness of chicken is not sitting well with me. Gotta love the learning curve, right? haha

I read we are supposed to eat the dark meat on chicken now, easier to diget plus more protein..?

I haven;t had any problem with chicken as long as it is moist. I know I don't want to get stuck and people say that chicken can sometime present a problem, but I did try it and so far as long as I chew, chew, chew til it's mush I don't have a problem. Good luck!

I can't eat steak! But, if I have chicken, I try to either stay away from breasts or eat it with a sauce of some sort! Chicken breasts tend to be real dry and hard for a lapbander to digest! Hope that helps! Karen

Breast meat is totally off my menu, no amount of gravy will help it go down. Thighs I am good with. Many have trouble with steak, I am ok if the pieces are small and I chew well.

Yes, banded life is a huge learning curve, and after every fill....bigger learning curve! But to me, so very worth it. And I kept telling myself that last night while I was majorly stuck on sushi.

I cannot eat beef but pork and chicken are fine but have to be moist some days not even those go down

Yes I agree banded for life will be the learning curve forever. I got stuck eating a bannana and it was not good

have found papaya enzyme tablets very helpful with stucks they taste good and work fast nobody likes getting stuck and if you can't get it up then get them down they will work fast

chicken has always been hard for me after about 6 months. My surgeon told me you should always be able to eat chicken, but that has not been the case for me. Any meat that has been microwaved is not going down for me either.

Cheri

I have issues with chicken (white meat especially) and steak. Some people just can't tolerate certain foods after banding even though we are "supposed" to be able to eat anything.

I had a huge problem with stew meat. I had a pieice stick and end up in the ER. Doc had to remove all restricition and I felt it pop past the band. I have had such a set back since then. I had to wait to have the restriction put back in, also in steps. I can't wait to go back on Tues for another fill.

I have learned my lesson, that pain was worse than labor pain!!