Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port replaced. Is this normal??

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this board. I am an old-hat at this band thing, or so I thought.

My banding was in 2001, (very early on in the life of the procedure in the US) with Dr Christine Ren at NYU Medical Center. I was 311lbs on the day of my surgery. I have a 4cc band, and now weigh 179 (-132).

I am looking for your help because I am concerned as to whether I may really have a problem, or if it is just that I am not used to restriction.

My band worked wonderfully for the first four years. My sweet spot was at 2.5cc's. At least, that is how tight I had to be to consistently lose weight.

On or about September of 2005, my doctor confirmed that my port was leaking. This comfirmation only came after three months of nonsense when the band was not working at all. My fills were not staying in, and I was gaining weight rapidly. I had the port replaced in November of 2005.

I immediately went to 2 cc's after the replacement, which was very tight. I had a difficult time with liquids, forget about food. I then got pregnant and unfilled completely, packing on about 20lbs. I lost the baby, and went back to be filled again. Again at 2cc's.

From January 4th (date of the fill after my miscarriage) to February 7th I lost 32lbs. I was barely eating. I was working at drinking, but I decided to get a small unfill. I am now at 1.75cc's.

Ok, that is the history, but here is my question. I am still having trouble eating foods all day. Most evenings, with great effort and patience, I can eat a reasonable amount of food without incident. Most of the time, though, I am running for the bathroom feeling that "its not going to go down" feeling, and bringing everything back up.

DO you all think that my first port was always a slow leaking one, and thats why I could be as tight as 2.5 with eating, and now that I have a new working port, even 1.75 is too tight?

ORRRR do you think that it is possible that I have something going on here other than normal restriction, like an esophogeal issue or something. ???

Its just that with my old port, at 1.75 I was totally eating unrestricted. :help: Thanks for suffering through my sob story. Would love to hear what you think. THANKS!

Michele

Hey Michele,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. I haven't been banded yet and don't know much on the subject, but I just wanted to post so that you know there are people here to listen. From what I know every person is diffrent and even our bodies change with time and adjust to diffrent things. I'm sure loosing a baby and gaining weight etc. had big effects on your body itself, and not it's readjusting to the band again. Hang around though, its still early, I'm sure some of the vetrans can give you a better answer.

2 things pop into my head...

1. Your old port always had a slow leak, therefore you never really had the full 2.5? OR

2. You might have other complications... erosion, slip????

I would say it sounds more like you just have too tight of a fill, but I am sure the veteran bandsters would tell you to get an endoscopy to check for erosion or any other problems.

What does your Dr. think?

Your weightloss is just great!!! Sounds like you have had a long road of it and you shouldn't be so tightly filled...

My doctor is not too concerned, she thinks its readjusting to the fill. I hear what you are saying about the band always being leaky... I have thought of that. I think it is also possible that I have just forgotten how to proceed with the band restricted at all. Although it is hard to shake the fact that for me, 1.75cc's should be really loose. I have never had an endoscopy, and I know I should go for one. aaaaak. thanks so much for replying. It is so great to speak to others with the same sensations.

Michele

Hi Michele,

I am no doctor but I have been banded 2.7 years so I have heard quite a bit over time and I think that it could be any of the following;

1) You had a slow slow leak and you really did not have as much in your band as you thought you did

2) When you had your complete unfill and subsequent refill, you no longer need as much as you did before. Many banded folks report after an unfill and a refill that they need far less than they needed before to feel restriction. I beleive it has something to do with "flushing the system". Most people dont realize how little 2.5 cc really is. Any slight differential could affect your level of restriction

3) Your band or pouch size was slightly enlarged prior to your unfill, had a chance to slip back or shrink a little and now the restriction you are feeling is much greater than before.

The less likely option is a problem like a slippage or erosion since you havent had any earlier problems prior to the unfill and preganancy. However, anything is possible. Try a partial unfill and see how that goes. If you still have problems, then I would go back to Ren and see what she has to say.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

For some people it's common for people to throw out their banding date as some kind of validation for their statements, so I'll join in I guess (*shrug*) and share my thoughts on it.

I was banded in 2001 as well - during the original FDA study period. And I was also the victim of a band leak as are many of our 5-years banded contemporaries. I had my port switched out nearly a year ago - and it was like a whole new band, especially with the newer lower profile access port.

In short, I got restriction like I had never experienced. I didn't even know what true restriction was until I got this newer little silicone sucker. :couch2:

I don't know what's changed (and I had an admittedly off kilter experience with my original banding) but it is TOTALLY different. Talk to some other veteran bandsters and they might tell you similar stories about having replacements.

It may be similar to the experience of driving a 2001 car and then having it replaced with a 2005 or 2006 engine. The newer car might be faster or more powerful than the older model. Who knows? I can just tell you that in my experience, it's different.

Just my .02 & Happy Band Journeys to all.

I was banded in 2001 as well - during the original FDA study period. And I was also the victim of a band leak as are many of our 5-years banded contemporaries. I had my port switched out nearly a year ago - and it was like a whole new band, especially with the newer lower profile access port.

I havent done my research, but perhaps the lower profile port has a lesser volume in its' "chamber", thereby forcing more of the saline into the band's silicone relative to the volume of the fill. Just a possibility.

Hmmm, this may be. It's a great concept, Anthony.

I wish there were some biomedical engineers who had insight on this - but from this non-professional's view, it seemed like a big difference.

Wow, this board is great. [Joined today upon recommendation of a Smartband poster] Hope this thread is still monitored.

Anyways I'm a newbie compared to the 01ers [banded on 2/5/04] and have been happy with the results. My problem is that my band has worked its way through the skin (can see about 1/2" of it). LOcation of band is about 2 -3 " above the navel.

Questions?

1) Does port replacement require surgery?

2) Do you know what the port replacement cost? [i lost my ins since geting banded].

3) Where is your port located?

Thanks.

Wow, this board is great. [Joined today upon recommendation of a Smartband poster] Hope this thread is still monitored.

1) Does port replacement require surgery?

2) Do you know what the port replacement cost? [i lost my ins since geting banded].

3) Where is your port located?

First of all, welcome to LBT, Ready! :)

1) From what I know about it, which is what I've learned from people who have had flipped or leaking ports replaced or repositioned, the answer is yes, port replacement does require surgery.

2) That will depend on your surgeon.

3) My port is just under my ribs on my right side.

Now, question for you. Isn't that painful??!! Have you spoken to your surgeon about this? I hope so. You don't want to risk infection. That needs to be dealt with right away.

Let us know what you find out and how things are going.

Wow, I agree with Susan, Ready. If any part of your tubing or port has "worked its way through the skin" you want to have that repaired immediately! How could that have happened? Did you heal up OK after the original surgery?