Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Years With The Band And Now I'm Getting Reflux. Suggestions?

It's been a while since I have been in here. I am starting to have some problems with my band and am seeking answers. Within the last six months or so, I started experiencing reflux at bed time. I can't sleep on my stomach because I find myself waking up coughing and choking on what I think is stomach acid. Now I am starting to experience reflux during the day as well as burps or gurgles. I don't think that my band slipped cause I am able to eat and and drink. Some days are better than others. Other days my stomach feels iritated and i'll spit up thick saliva. I started using TUMS and they seem to work, but now I find myself using TUMS everyday more than once a day. I had my Surgery on March of 2009, had a fill 2 weeks post op and a second fill 1 week after that. I hear stories of people experiencing my problems after fills but i havent had one in nearly 34 months. The band has still gives me restriction but I must confess that I sometimes eat more than someone with a band should. Anyone have any advice? Thinking of going a week of liquids to see if it helps before seeing the doctor.

Why wait to see the doctor? If you've got a slip starting, you might want to get that diagnosed ASAP.

I have a similar situation. I was banded in June 2009. My last fill was in Aug 2011. I am not tight. I can eat practically anything. In fact at the moment I would love a topup as I am getting hungry way sooner than I should.

Probably about a month before Christmas I started having issues with a sore throat and sometimes at night I woke up feeling like I couldn't swallow. Now my throat has always been my weak spot and i never considered that this could be reflux. However years ago 1 Dr said that maybe it was and he prescribed Nexium. I took them for a while but they didn't make any difference so i decided he was wrong and gave up.

Not long after i got my band these symptoms returned. I spoke to the fill Dr and she said it was probably just a sore throat.

It cleared up again but over the last few months seems to be becoming an issue. Since joining this site I am much more aware and now believe that my sore throat is possibly a result of reflux( the other possibility is post nasal drip but i don't really suffer with allergies). On a couple of occasions I have tasted the sour stuff in the back of my throat at night and or woken up coughing. I am back on Nexium but they don't seem to be making a huge difference.

I saw my Dr in Jan hoping for a fill and telling him my fears about a slip. He does not think I have a slip because I do not have issues eating or drinking. He also told me that I would probably have other symptoms with a slip e.g left shoulder pain. He decided not to give me a fill and I am scheduled to see him in June although if it gets worse I will need to see him sooner and he will do xrays etc.

I am trying to be more aware of what and when I eat. I do not eat citrus fruits, have onions and garlic but only in small quantities. I don't eat tomatoes very often but do eat Tomato based sauces which I don't want to give up. We typically eat late as my husband only gets home at about 7pm. I am trying to eat earlier if possible but do not want to eat seperately from the rest of the family. I sometimes drink milk before bed but I am not sure if this helps or makes it worse.

Friday was quite bad. We ate at about 6pm. I had salad and half a chicken sausage. I didn't feel stuck but got very uncomfortable afterwards. Not sure if it was the stalks on the spinach or the skin on the sausage. Went to bed at about 11.30 and had to get up again as i felt like I was choking.

Hoping that was a one off and that I can sort this out by being more aware of what I am doing.

The other weird thing is that my band does seem to have tightened up. I have never had a problem eating in the morning but atm my first cup of tea feels weird going down. I am having a shake for Breakfast instead of food which i hate as then I am hungry again 2 hours later.

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is Ok - for me and you.

I was banded 3 years ago. I have expereinced what you are talking about. If your band is not real tight which mine isn't, some gastric gases can seep up & it burns your throat & chest. This is because you have had something toooo spicey in recent days & it is still in your stomach linning. Try & flush your system, clean up & avoid spicey foods for a while. On the other hand I have a colonoscopy & endo. every year. There is erosion of the esophagus from the gases & band. This can be healed with a great pill called Dexsilant.

I am here because I want to get back on track and connect with bandsters that are 2-3 years in maintenance. I feel like I am getting sloppy with my diet & eat too much candy & easy to swallow junk. Do you know if there is a forum or group for old timers (3 years out)????

I don't know if there is a forum for old-timers but I wouldn't mind joining if there was. I am over 3 years out and, yes, I too started to stray from my bandster lifestyle. It wasn't until my band loosened to the point of not having any restriction, and I found out that I have a leak and a small slip, have I gotten back on the wagon, so to speak. It would be good to talk to others who just want a little refresher on good habits, as opposed to trying to lose weight.

well, I couldn't find one, so I started a new one:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/142641-old-timers-3-years-banded-recommitting-to-the-bandster-lifestyle/

C'mon peeps, we can support each other. :)

Ive just discovered my pouch is a bit dilated - onky mildly. Its been symptomless for me but i have been able to overeat. However if i doa "real" dinner like i do when we entertain a Very small main meal, a glass of wine a taste of dessert, coffee and maybe one chocolate, i ave to sleep sitting up. A liquidy meal like that gives me night reflux. On the other hand a solid sans wine meal at 6 .30 or so never gives me issues. I do get multiple small discomforts and burning sensations from time to time, usually only momentary. My doc is happy to leave things s they are nd for it to remind me to treat my and with respect.