Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Weeks After Surgery And Eating Like Normal......please Help

hey everyone im new to the site and have a question for you guys i got banded febuary 1st and after about 7 days of just Optifast and liquids i started eating like normal with no problems. I havent been eating bad foods neccessarily but i have been eating alot of food and i would like to know if this has happend with anuone and if it will change when i get my first fill..........thanks everyone

Well, its too soon for your body to be on full regular foods. You should go back to soft/mushy foods for a little longer while you heal. I was the same way, when I started eating regular food, I could eat anything and everything I wanted. When I went in at 6 weeks for my first fill, the doctor said that was a good thing because it shows you are healing well. I could not get my fill at 6 weeks because my port flipped, so I just had my first fill this past Monday. I can tell you, I do feel some restriction (I am full with 1 scrambled egg or 1/2 cup chili) but I'm not at that 'sweet spot' where it holds me over for 4-5 hours. I am hungry every 2 hours. I have a 14 cc band, and when I got my first fill, the doctor put in 6.5cc, I go back in 3 weeks for my next fill and to check the incision site where he had to go in and flip my port back over. I'm feeling good, and hoping that with this fill I will start to see the scale drop again.

well, you prob don't have much in your band so everything is prob going down fine. When I had surgery the dr put in 3 cc initially. I am filled to 6.5 and still feel like I can eat pretty much anything, no problem. Only a few things go down slower. You just have to get focused on what you should be eating and stick to it as best that you can.

Did your doctor tell you to move to solids? I was on clears for 7 days, full liquids 7, soft mushies (cottage or ricotta cheese) 7, fuller mushies (canned chicken or tuna) 7 days and then solids. So buy that schedule you should still be at soft mushies. If you Have not done so buy a digital food scale. My doctor said 3 oz of Protein. If you are still hungry add a fat free pudding cup. When that's gone stoop eating. It's hard but that's why they call it bandster hell!

Hi, yes, you probably have very little in your band, when they put in some doctors dont fill at all, I had 3cc.. because of the surgery i felt full very quickly and could barely get liquids down, but about the 3rd week post i was starving. I was on Clear Liquids for 7 days, protien shakes and soft muchies for 4 weeks, then solids slowly adding in what I could. The first few months are hard and mostly your good will. My port flipped twice and had to have it re-attached twice. After that it has been little by little adjustment fills. I know it is more expensive to do little by little, but the results are better off. I know liquids are easier but solids help you stay full longer and DONT drink with your meals, it pushes the food down faster and you eat more.

Hope this helps! Patience,

M-

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches