Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Fast Will I Lose?

I am about 3 weeks away from my final nutritional consultation (required for my insurance) and I am getting nervous and excited for the procedure.

I've lost nothing in the last few months. I expect to lose some? during the pre-op diet. I'm curious how much I can expect to lose during the first month, including pre-op? I know the liquid diet is going to be really difficult but nothing on the list of acceptable foods looks "satisfying" in any way.

Anyone have any tips for getting thru the pre-op liquids?

I'm planning on an early April banding... how much can I expect to be down by say, July? I am confident I can and will follow the diet and will be including exercise.

Thanks... I feel like I have read so many posts but I can't seem to find these answers.

(is it April yet??)

HI I dont really have an answer for this as I am also waiting for april to have my banding. I have my last phone call first of March with my dietician and Nurse for my 6 mos required by my insurance. But I am looking for ppl who are also sharing this experience. I to would love to get an idea of how fast the weight will come off.

Of course the rate of weight loss is different for everyone. My doc expect 1.5 to 2 lbs a week and I am right at that. It isn't dramatic but its steady and I am happy. At this rate its 100 lbs in a year and that is amazing!

A lot of people say they had trouble with the liquid diet - I did not.

I also didn't lose any weight before the liquid diet - mostly because my BMI was 35.1 and I was scared if I lost any I wouldn't qualify anymore!

Good luck - I love my band

Good luck to you brokenwings - I am 236 now and have a goal of 140 - I'm still trying to figure out how these people get the "tickers" at the bottom of their posts :)

In my head I am thinking anywhere from 2-4 lbs per week though. Of course I would like more than that but I think that is achievable.

Surgery was Wed., the 8th and this is my first report from the other side. I am happy to say that all went well and not as bad as I thought. My last memory before the surgery was when the nurse gave me the "happy juice" or whatever meds it is that calms you down. I don't remember anything after that until I was back in my room. I understand that I said some funny things though right before going in. I've had bilateral mastectomy and implants and chose not to have nipples reconstructed so I evidently told the nurse to tell the doctors not to laugh at my funny boobs! Ha ha! I really don't remember saying that! The pain wasn't real bad but I was very nauseous all day afterwards. Nothing came up, just gagging, but when the nurse gave me meds for that it calmed down. Not sure what that was from. I've have anesthesia before several times and never had that reaction. Like I said, the pain was tolerable but then again I've lived through 2 knee replacement operations and mastectomy/reconstruction surgery so compared to those, it was milder. The gas pain did hurt in the neck and shoulder area like so many others reported. And beware of your first bowel movement if your doctor makes you drink that nasty liquid before doing the test to see if everything is okay and no leaks. Just be close to the bathroom when the urge hits is all I can say!! So far no hunger. Drinking Low-Carb SlimFast and made a banana Protein shake from powder Protein this morning. Had to blend it pretty well in order to blend the banana but it was pretty good. Planning on having some blended Soup for lunch and another shake later on today. Dr. wants me to get 60 grams of Protein a day. So far no regrets but I'm only 2 days out. I have to say too that reading all these blogs and forums really, really helped a lot. You learn so much from other people's experiences, but you have to realize at the same time that everyone is different and so are the doctors. But it gives you a basic idea of what to expect and that is key is being prepared to this major life change.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie - and congrats! I'm not too concerned about the pain because I apparently have a high tolerance for that.

Good luck to you

Hello and Congrats on your step to a new healthy you! I had my surgery April 13, 2011 I lost 23 lb on the liquid diet, (25 is about average) but my band had a leak and wasn’t working, had my port replacement surgery Sept 6th 2011 and I am doing better now, loosing and average of 1-2 pounds a week but that did not start until my 3rd fill (so basically, I did not start losing anything until 11/14/2077 2 months after my corrective surgery) so remember, if you are banded in April that means through May you will be healing and not restricted maybe even gain a few pounds, then the next month or 2 , you will be getting fills until you reach your green zone and then you will start seeing the benefits from your new tool. This is just what I have experienced, I have seen some that come right out of surgery and start losing and haven’t stopped…but I have not been that fortunate.

I am not worried bout the pain as well. I have had a surgery a few years ago and ddint even take my first refill of meds and broke my shoulder last yr and only took a few of the pain pills they gave me and didnt miss a days work. So pain isnt a worry for me. I am not very well informed on the liquid diet and i guess thats what i need to read up on. I know that a month before my 6 mos and i have now given up soda and drinking lots of Water.< /p>

Deb

As you know everyone loses differently so I can only tell you my experience so far. Today is my 8th day on the pre-op diet with 4 more to go before my surgery on the 15th. To date (starting Feb. 3) I have lost 12lbs. I'm not going to lie it has been tough. I have 6 people in my house I cook for and having to do that while I sip my Protein shake is without hesitation a struggle. HOWEVER, I have fought through it, and with great support form friends and family and daily readings from this forum I'm still in it! I write a journal online through google and it helps. Writing what im eating, what I'm feeling is not only helpful for me now but in the future. Below you'll see a link if you feel like reading a bunch of rants lol

GOOD LUCK!!!!

One of my co workers had this done and i thought she said she was on a liquid diet a week. But heck if its 2 weeks i will do it. I am going on vacation april 7 so how long i have to do the liquid diet will be the deciding factor of when i get my lapband as long as the insurance approves it. The Carewise ppl talk like it will be approved. The last thing they told me was they would call me in March to discuss what i need for my after surgery meals etc..

Deb