Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The danger of knowing too much.

I am not banded (yet). I have met with one surgeon (another next week) my PCP, and my workplace benefits administrator. the wheels are in motion. I have read hundreds of threads and learned many good and bad things about the band.

But can you know "too much"? When this happens in my work I call it "analysis paralysis". You have taken on so much information you can't produce a clear yes or no answer anymore.

I am reluctant to give myself too much time to mull it over. I have felt like the surgery is more of a "when" and less of an "if" and I think it sort of scares me that I would decide NOT to get it. Does that make sense? Since learning about this surgery, I feel so hopeful about being a healthy weight. It has been a long, long time since I felt hope. So I feel afraid of over-researching the heck out of this and talking myself out of it over time.

I like information. I like to know what to expect. But is there a point where too much info is a bad thing? Could it prevent you from doing something radical (relatively speaking) to change your life?

I too am very seriously considering the lap band. And like you, I have a real bad habit of over-thinking things. I can't stop reading information about this. But I think that I've come to my final conclusion and that is how unhappy I would be if I never gave it a try. I know there are risks and possible complications, but it also seems that the good outweighs the bad for most. So I think I am ready to move on this. Someone on here posted a quote about regretting more of what we haven't done in life than what we have. So, for me, it is worth it to give it a go. Hope you are able to get over your "analysis paralysis" soon and reach a decision. Good luck.

I like information. I like to know what to expect. But is there a point where too much info is a bad thing? Could it prevent you from doing something radical (relatively speaking) to change your life?

Well hm.. I suppose this might happen if the information convinced you that you were not willing to undergo such things in your life. However, nothing I learned about the band scared me away, or made me doubt my decision. In fact, it encouraged me and empowered me to proceed. Sure, there are problems we might run into, but nothing fatal.

Perhaps you need to sift through your information and breaks it into a logical pro's and con's list. See where you are then?

I do not believe one can ever have too much information (especially regarding your health), but with that typed, the whole experience of being banded is not going to happen unless you are banded. So, if you're trying to create (by what you say is "over thinking) the band experience, you're right, it will not happen. Otherwise, by knowing as much as possible, you will be able to proceed on a green light. :confused:

Kelli

I would encourage you to continue your research. Yes, it can be information overload, but YOU need to know every single thing you can know to make your band journey as UNsurprising as possible. It never ceases to amaze me when people said they did their research, but come on before their 6 week initial healing period and go on about how they can eat anything they want or how they're not losing..as if they were supposed to wake up restricted the next day and they should lose 30 lbs the first month. Somehow, they missed something very important...

This is your journey, you need to know every single thing beforehand that COULD happen...

I think the more information you read and absorb the better. All the information will help you know what questions to ask your surgeon or bariatric center and help you in chosing a good one. There are pros and cons to everything we do in life. Sure some of the "bad" things that can happen are certainly scarey but, there are many cases where none of those bad things happened. For me I had to look at where I was today and where I'd be without trying and I decided this is something I just had to try and do for myself. Only you will be able to make that decision but, I suggest making it after you've found a surgeon you trust and who has a great background in the field. Good luck with your decision :confused:

I do the same thing. You'd be surprised how many people on other Lap Band boards I annoy because of this very thing. Many of them say I'm over thinking it and they say "Just do it already".

I am reluctant to give myself too much time to mull it over. I have felt like the surgery is more of a "when" and less of an "if" and I think it sort of scares me that I would decide NOT to get it. Does that make sense? Since learning about this surgery, I feel so hopeful about being a healthy weight. It has been a long, long time since I felt hope. So I feel afraid of over-researching the heck out of this and talking myself out of it over time.

I can relate. I tend to over-research and over-analyze everything. I'm also incredibly indecisive. I made up my mind four months ago that I am going to do this. This process has been very difficult and frustrating, and when I come here and read about erosion, slippage, lack of restriction and I get scared and think of backing out. But something interesting has happened to me. The closer I get to doing this, the MORE certain I am that I am doing the right thing.

I still feel twinges of "Oh my God, what am I doing???" but for me, it always comes down to this: If I could do it on my own, I would have done it already. I would've spent my 20s running around in a bikini on the beach instead of hiding in my apartment with a box of Cookies. I am 31 now and feel that I have lost a decade of my life to this struggle. I will not lose another ten, twenty, thirty years because I was too afraid to believe in the one thing that has ever given me real hope that I can change my life around.

My doctor gave me a standardized test when I first went in for a consult. The test asked a lot about how much information do you want to know about your procedure, about your health in general, how much trust do you have in your doctor, and how involved you want to be in the process. This leads me to believe that different people want different amounts of info and decision making power. I want it all! I want to know everything. The decision only becomes better with more info.